Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .38-55 brass in stock anywhere?

.38-55 brass in stock anywhere?

Anybody have a line on .38-55 brass in stock? I've got my eye on something but the apparent lack of brass is...discouraging.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Back ordered at Starline, but they do batches of it.

Starline brass is supposed to be in stock at: https://coastalfirearmshop.com/produ...-55-wcf-2-082/

You can use .375 Winchester in the same chamber.

You can form .38-55 from .30-30, and that is probably the most readily available brass that isn’t already .38-55. Actually, .38-55, .32-40, and .30-30 can all be formed from one to another. Just be sure to anneal and go slow - don’t try to do it all in one step.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Back ordered at Starline, but they do batches of it.

Starline brass is supposed to be in stock at: https://coastalfirearmshop.com/produ...-55-wcf-2-082/

You can use .375 Winchester in the same chamber.

You can form .38-55 from .30-30, and that is probably the most readily available brass that isn’t already .38-55. Actually, .38-55, .32-40, and .30-30 can all be formed from one to another. Just be sure to anneal and go slow - don’t try to do it all in one step.
    Thanks, I'm on a couple of notification lists and hoping it won't be long. I think it was around a year for the .44 Russian brass to come back into stock.

My understanding is .30-30 and .375 brass will be short when formed to .38-55 but that's probably not a huge issue in a single shot. It looks like most conversion threads are about fire forming. I found very few on forming with a press. I'm not sure if they're forming with regular .38-55 dies or special forming dies. I've got a Co-Ax single stage I could form on or I can get an arbor press if that's a better choice.

BTW, that's a scam website. It just didn't feel right so I added a bag of brass and the only options at checkout were the usual electronic scam payments.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

BTW, that's a scam website. It just didn't feel right so I added a bag of brass and the only options at checkout were the usual electronic scam payments.[/QUOTE]

Just checked cause I was bored... There is no currently valid FFL listed for that business name in the state of Florida as far as I could find...

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/un...axlsx/download
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks, I'm on a couple of notification lists and hoping it won't be long. I think it was around a year for the .44 Russian brass to come back into stock.

My understanding is .30-30 and .375 brass will be short when formed to .38-55 but that's probably not a huge issue in a single shot. It looks like most conversion threads are about fire forming. I found very few on forming with a press. I'm not sure if they're forming with regular .38-55 dies or special forming dies. I've got a Co-Ax single stage I could form on or I can get an arbor press if that's a better choice.

BTW, that's a scam website. It just didn't feel right so I added a bag of brass and the only options at checkout were the usual electronic scam payments.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    Just checked cause I was bored... There is no currently valid FFL listed for that business name in the state of Florida as far as I could find...

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/un...axlsx/download[/QUOTE]

Sorry about the scam website. I just did a search for available brass in the caliber, and it came up as having it in stock.

No problem @Duelist and thanks for the link @rcbusmc24!

With all the scammers out there, if a website doesn't feel right I always add something to the cart so I can see the payment methods. If it's electronic only and especially peer-to-peer like Zelle, etc then it's a hard pass. I've seen some sellers on GB list PP or other electronic payment in their listings but if there's not a way to pay by CC or several hundred positive feedback, that's a hard pass as well.

38-55.....love that in a Marlin Lever.

Little known fact: Yukon Cornelius was a big 38/55 fan. It's no coincidence that he was on his way to town to get his "life sustainin' supplies" which naturally included cornmeal and gun powder, two essentials for fire forming 38/55 cases.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Little known fact: Yukon Cornelius was a big 38/55 fan. It's no coincidence that he was on his way to town to get his "life sustainin' supplies" which naturally included cornmeal and gun powder, two essentials for fire forming 38/55 cases.
    I am opposed to fire forming right now because I don't feel like using the powder or primers it would require. I may not have a choice depending on how my search goes but I'll burn that bridge when I get there.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Have you tried Buffalo Arms or Quality Cartridge?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List