Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boomers and Mechanical Engineers only - nostalgia warning !

Site Supporter

Boomers and Mechanical Engineers only - nostalgia warning !

So, this is what I was trying to get running today.

Name:  IMG_6339.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6338.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  93.8 KB

Honestly- an amazing machine. I didn’t have time to take pictures of it apart. Once I started pulling it apart, I realized I was in over my head. Eventually got it running. One piece still won’t slide freely and I don’t understand how the ribbon tension system works yet. But I also haven’t watched any videos on it yet.

Can you still get ribbons?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Odds are you can fix it with Glock springs.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Wife found a source on Amazon I think

Dayum.

I typed my Masters thesis on one similar to that. My theory of why I could type minutes literally almost as fast as the conversation went in meetings was so many years on a mechanical typewriter.

Hope you get it going soon.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Staples and Office Depot have generic ribbons that work in most of them. I still have one. Lost the carbon paper in a move.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    I did all my typing in college on a Smith-Corona version of that. When I was mobilized for Desert Storm in '90, I found an office Royal in a thrift shop for $5 and it went in my track; my battalion had the only typed INTSUMs and OPORDs in the brigade, all the others were handwritten on steno masters.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

I got an electric Smith Corona as a high school graduation present in the early 80s. Came in handy in college.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I went off to college with a manual Olympia with a platen wide enough to take standard paper sideways. A science teacher advised the wide platen for making graphs. Dad said to get a manual typewriter because nobody would steal it.

I guess he was right. I still have it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Reminds me of one of the best, and most memorable pieces of advice my father ever gave me.

I Was preparing my schedule for senior year of high school. My French teacher wanted me to take French three. My father looked at me over the dinner table and said, " you will never use French a single day of your life. You need to take typing. Your handwriting sucks " ( the handwriting sucks part was absolutely true).

At the time neither of us had any idea of the upcoming computer revolution.

Boy was he right!

User Tag List