Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boomers and Mechanical Engineers only - nostalgia warning !

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    My theory of why I could type minutes literally almost as fast as the conversation went in meetings was so many years on a mechanical typewriter.
    I learned to type on one that was powered by a nearby stream. I’m regularly told to mute if I’m taking notes on conference calls.

Apparently I sound like stampeding horses.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I have never learned to type.
    I never touched a keyboard until my late 30s when I bought my first computer in 1998.
    I gave myself Trigger Finger in my actual trigger finger banging one fingered on a keyboard with a bad "b" key when I was on a burglary task force.
    So now I switch the one finger around.
    I'd be crippled(er) trying to use one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Reminds me of one of the best, and most memorable pieces of advice my father ever gave me.

I Was preparing my schedule for senior year of high school. My French teacher wanted me to take French three. My father looked at me over the dinner table and said, " you will never use French a single day of your life. You need to take typing. Your handwriting sucks " ( the handwriting sucks part was absolutely true).

At the time neither of us had any idea of the upcoming computer revolution.

Boy was he right!
    I was able to get into a typing class my senior year of high school. It was a big help when I got into law enforcement

The quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown dog.

Site Supporter
    I learned how to type on an electric daisy wheel typewriter in junior high. I type faster now than I did then.

It was a fun class: there were lots of girls in it. None of them were interested in me, of course. I was tiny and awkward and shy.

Yep- the required freshman typing class has probably been the most useful thing I picked up through all the years- though college drafting was also pretty useful.
    And that was back when computers were still mostly black & white.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I was able to get into a typing class my senior year of high school. It was a big help when I got into law enforcement
    I took typing in high school too. It really helped in college and LE.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I took a typing class in junior high and driver's ed in high school.

Those skills I use and cherish every day.

French....not so much.

Site Supporter
    In my high school, typing was reserved for kids going into the workforce after graduation. College-bound kids like me had to learn on their own. Term papers would have been less of a pain if I had been able to use more than two fingers.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Reminds me of one of the best, and most memorable pieces of advice my father ever gave me.

I Was preparing my schedule for senior year of high school. My French teacher wanted me to take French three. My father looked at me over the dinner table and said, " you will never use French a single day of your life. You need to take typing. Your handwriting sucks " ( the handwriting sucks part was absolutely true).

At the time neither of us had any idea of the upcoming computer revolution.

Boy was he right!
    I took French in HS (and typing, so didn't miss out on that).

Your dad was right.

I have French colleagues and even a French direct report, but their English is better than my French.

I should have taken Spanish. I could use it at work and here around home every day. But we didn't see that coming back in the late 80s.

Chris

User Tag List