Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boomers and Mechanical Engineers only - nostalgia warning !

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I learned to type on one that was powered by a nearby stream. I’m regularly told to mute if I’m taking notes on conference calls.

Apparently I sound like stampeding horses.

Okie John
    I "type with intent" too.

And I use a mechanical keyboard.

Chris

I took typing my senior year because the option was a shop class, and all the cheerleaders and majorettes were going to be in the typing class, in fact I sat right in the middle of 4 of them. I knew them all but got to know one so well and had so much fun with her cutting up in that class we ended up dating that summer. She was a babe.

I thought my male classmates who elected shop instead were complete blind idiots. Who wants to sit around and cut wood with you fools when I could be hitting on....

Only guy in the class.

Learning typing has served me well and is essential to work the last 40 years.

We learned on manuals but the class had 3 of the then brand new IBM Selectrics which were a modern marvel in 1975, teacher had us rotate so we all had a few of weeks on one of those.

When I went away to college I got a used manual for the years there, and I made some dough at 60 cents per page typing other people's papers because I was pretty good at it by then. Easy beer money.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    In my high school, typing was reserved for kids going into the workforce after graduation. College-bound kids like me had to learn on their own. Term papers would have been less of a pain if I had been able to use more than two fingers.
    My school had “personal typing “ intended for college bound kids but it was full so I ended up in the business typing class.

I have a mechanical typewriter in my office. Much harder to use than the IBM Selectric II on which I earned. It comes in handy once in a while for envelopes, and, even less frequently, forms.

I am not a speedy or very accurate typist. I tend to type around 60 WPM with a good keyboard and around 20 WPM with the mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    So, this is what I was trying to get running today.

Attachment 113546

Attachment 113547

Honestly- an amazing machine. I didn’t have time to take pictures of it apart. Once I started pulling it apart, I realized I was in over my head. Eventually got it running. One piece still won’t slide freely and I don’t understand how the ribbon tension system works yet. But I also haven’t watched any videos on it yet.
    I can hear those pictures.

My grandparents had a typewriter in the basement and I remember playing around with it and my grandmother trying to show my sister and I how it worked. This was 85-86 and I was 6 or 7 at the time. Not knowing anything about typing it was fun to type the words I did know and the distinct sound it made. I also remember getting scolded when I kept “typing nonsense” as my grandmother put it, typing too fast “like in the movies” and binding a bunch of the keys up, lol.

Similarly to others, I took typing my Junior year of high school thinking how dumb I thought it was. We didn’t have a computer at home, but thought it necessary for writing papers. Never thought it would become so crucial in the future, just easier than handwriting an assignment.

Great find, I hope you can get it working again.
    Last edited by Not HighSpeed; 01-05-2024 at 10:04 AM.

I used to go to the local American Legion with my late father (2x Post Commander) and watch while he and others crafted the monthly newsletter by typing the stencil on an ancient manual typewriter. They would then print them on a mimeograph machine. Recalling this got me to thinking about the faces and names of many vets I was fortunate to have met over the years.

Thanks for the memories...

-Rainman

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I took French in HS (and typing, so didn't miss out on that).

Your dad was right.

I have French colleagues and even a French direct report, but their English is better than my French.

I should have taken Spanish. I could use it at work and here around home every day. But we didn't see that coming back in the late 80s.

Chris
    Unfortunately I did have to take two semesters of French in college. Talk about a completely useless waste of time.

I think about the only uses for learning that language are so that you can understand a snippet of what is said in some older movies, or perhaps there's a Jeopardy category you might get some questions correct in.

Oh, and not to get this off of the original topic but speaking of things you might know of as an older Boomer or someone into mechanical stuff. Found this when we were cleaning out my parents house recently.

Name:  20240105_101213.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  29.1 KB

Anybody remember this stuff!?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Unfortunately I did have to take two semesters of French in college. Talk about a completely useless waste of time.

I think about the only uses for learning that language are so that you can understand a snippet of what is said in some older movies, or perhaps there's a Jeopardy category you might get some questions correct in.

Oh, and not to get this off of the original topic but speaking of things you might know of as an older Boomer or someone into mechanical stuff. Found this when we were cleaning out my parents house recently.

I remember Kodachrome 35mm film, but never used it or the movie film versions. BTW, not a boomer, I'm solidly Gen X.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I learned to type on one that was powered by a nearby stream. I’m regularly told to mute if I’m taking notes on conference calls.

Apparently I sound like stampeding horses.

Okie John
    Weird how muscle memory sticks. I learned to touch type back in grade school on an ancient Royal mechanical. Forty years later and I still get comments on how heavily I type on a computer keyboard. Hey, those keys need actuated with authority...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post

I think my grandparents had 8mm films of vacations. I was watching a 70s or 80s sitcom yesterday and the guys were watching slides. That reminded me that my grandparents had the slides and projector too

User Tag List