Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DC deer hunting

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    What gets me is that it's transmissible via saliva so deer can catch it at feeders (they think this is how it got started at deer farms) or by browsing the same plant as an infected deer. I don't think it's going to go away and the only thing we can do is test every deer we harvest. But we need a field test kit to ensure it gets done as often as possible.

I'll just be a small game hunter in the meantime.

Chris
    Yeah, a number of states are either banning, or looking at banning, baiting because of that.

When CWD first showed up in North Carolina two or three years ago in the western part of the state, a state biologist said the only way they could prevent it from spreading was to wipe out the entire, 100%, deer population of the entire middle part of our state. Of course that's not obtainable, so spreading is inevitable. Sure enough it showed up here last year in the eastern part of the state.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Yeah, a number of states are either banning, or looking at banning, baiting because of that.

When CWD first showed up in North Carolina two or three years ago in the western part of the state, a state biologist said the only way they could prevent it from spreading was to wipe out the entire, 100%, deer population of the entire middle part of our state. Of course that's not obtainable, so spreading is inevitable. Sure enough it showed up here last year in the eastern part of the state.
    Baiting has been illegal in VA for as long as I've been a hunter (26ish years).

Chris

https://www.whsv.com/content/news/We...395278911.html

I thought for a minute we had a repeat of this infamous 2016 episode.

Baiting has been illegal in VA for as long as I've been a hunter (26ish years).

Chris
    It's a way of life down here. Also in Kansas where I recently Hunted. I know it can stir up a lot of debate for several reasons, some regarding ethics, some regarding things like disease spreading.

Nobody can read the article due to the paywall.
    Chris
    Does this work?

https://archive.ph/YSqfE
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    Does this work?

https://archive.ph/YSqfE
    Yes, it does. Thanks.

The article is pretty much what I expected. It's about overpopulation of deer in a space that can't contain them. Some of the quotes were funny and of course they had the obligatory bunny-hugger suggesting contraception rather than culling. Glad to see they're putting the meat to good use too (donating it to food kitchens).

While it's relatively far west of DC, I66 west of where I live looks like a warzone during the rut. I remember one time driving out to the mountains there being a bloody wad of meat every couple miles it seemed. I've had my own car-deer event out there as well (hit a buck going 60mph one night). Luckily, I hit mine in such a way that damage was manageable, and I was able to continue my journey.

Chris

User Tag List