Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC deer hunting

DC deer hunting

https://www.wsj.com/us-news/washingt...sions-4e3658e0

The Latest Secret Government Mission in Washington, D.C.: Taking Out Deer
    Sharpshooters and clandestine nighttime operations: the U.S. campaign against Bambi
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Article is behind a paywall for me. There is a lot of that type of thing. Around here there is a group of archery hunters that work with the state and get parks (and fairly metropolitan ones) shut down for a day or two and have hunts. Probably be a lot more of it in the future, especially chronic wasting starts to scare hunters off.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    especially chronic wasting starts to scare hunters off.
    It scared me off. They've found it in the counties I hunt in (near DC) and while it hasn't been found to affect humans, it also hasn't been found to NOT affect humans.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I have done the urban archery hunt thing. They grow more weary after about half the herd gets killed off.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    It scared me off. They've found it in the counties I hunt in (near DC) and while it hasn't been found to affect humans, it also hasn't been found to NOT affect humans.

Chris
    The state will test your deer for free here. CWD isn't exactly in my area yet but it's close enough that I should probably start getting them tested. You have to learn how to remove a lymph node.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    The state will test your deer for free here. CWD isn't exactly in my area yet but it's close enough that I should probably start getting them tested. You have to learn how to remove a lymph node.
    They will, but last time I looked the turnaround time was several days. I don't have anywhere to store an intact deer for more than a few hours.

Chris

I thought the DC thing was about protecting plant life which struck me as silly but if it is about CWD they are doing the right thing.

I have seen one instance of CWD while deer hunting in WY. It is scary stuff. The buck looked like a zombie. Skin and bones, mangy coat, staggering around. Like the remains of a carcass after a couple months except still upright. We got a hold of a Ranger and he tried to put it down but the poor thing scaled a fence like it was nothing and ran off. We were astonished it had the strength to do it.

It's a terrible disease and I hope they can get it sorted out. Not sure how many actual cases we've had in Oregon but they are requiring testing now. Kind of a pain but I support it if it will keep people safe and mitigate these animals suffering.

Can be a horrible disease indeed. However based upon everything I've read I don't know that we have any real clue as to what we should be doing with it, what's going to work, etc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Can be a horrible disease indeed. However based upon everything I've read I don't know that we have any real clue as to what we should be doing with it, what's going to work, etc.
    What gets me is that it's transmissible via saliva so deer can catch it at feeders (they think this is how it got started at deer farms) or by browsing the same plant as an infected deer. I don't think it's going to go away and the only thing we can do is test every deer we harvest. But we need a field test kit to ensure it gets done as often as possible.

I'll just be a small game hunter in the meantime.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuefelhunden View Post
    I thought the DC thing was about protecting plant life which struck me as silly but if it is about CWD they are doing the right thing.

I have seen one instance of CWD while deer hunting in WY. It is scary stuff. The buck looked like a zombie. Skin and bones, mangy coat, staggering around. Like the remains of a carcass after a couple months except still upright. We got a hold of a Ranger and he tried to put it down but the poor thing scaled a fence like it was nothing and ran off. We were astonished it had the strength to do it.

It's a terrible disease and I hope they can get it sorted out. Not sure how many actual cases we've had in Oregon but they are requiring testing now. Kind of a pain but I support it if it will keep people safe and mitigate these animals suffering.
    Nobody can read the article due to the paywall. But, living in the NoVA/DC region, I'm pretty sure it's about culling the population in general because of auto accidents, landscaping damage, and possibly slowing CWD because the deer population in this region is enormous.

It's funny, I can go mountain biking in urban parks and see herds of deer, but if I go out to the Blue Ridge Mtns 60 miles west of DC I can sit in a treestand all day and not see one.

Chris

User Tag List