Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hellcat RDP

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’ve seen the same issue in three of them, including the one I used to own. There would be two distinct groups a few inches apart, sometimes with a single flyer.

It’s been discussed here on PF and @GJM and others have seen the same issues.

Like the Gen 1 M&P 9mm it starts to be very noticeable at about 15 yards.
    From memory, my wife and I first noticed it on a Spectre Comp, shooting at 35 yards, a few summers ago. At first we thought it might be the optic, but confirmed it was the upper after some switching and retesting. Later, we saw it in the Macro uppers with the porting. Sent a slide to YVK and he confirmed it as well. Most people wouldn't notice it, unless they are shooting ball ammo for groups at 25 yards and beyond. The issue seems less pronounced with loads like Gold Dot. Easy fix, run the XL upper which has the same overall length as the ported upper.

There was a thread where we discussed all this.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    From memory, my wife and I first noticed it on a Spectre Comp, shooting at 35 yards, a few summers ago. At first we thought it might be the optic, but confirmed it was the upper after some switching and retesting. Later, we saw it in the Macro uppers with the porting. Sent a slide to YVK and he confirmed it as well. Most people wouldn't notice it, unless they are shooting ball ammo for groups at 25 yards and beyond. The issue seems less pronounced with loads like Gold Dot. Easy fix, run the XL upper which has the same overall length as the ported upper.

There was a thread where we discussed all this.
    I had two other known competent shooters. Confirm the issue with my gun. The same two also confirmed the same issue on a third party’s X Macro who claimed his was “fine.” It’s just that he could barely shoot well enough to keep all his rounds on a C zone steel at 15 Yards so he couldn’t tell the difference.

I had two other known competent shooters. Confirm the issue with my gun. The same two also confirmed the same issue on a third party’s X Macro who claimed his was “fine.” It’s just that he could barely shoot well enough to keep all his rounds on a C zone steel at 15 Yards so he couldn’t tell the difference.
    I think why the accuracy problem jumped out for my wife and I is the OEM 3.1 and 3.7 barrels shoot exceptionally well for small pistols.

Site Supporter
    For a small (read: micro compact), comped gun… is the RDP the best option going right now? There seem to be reliability issues with PMM comped 365s, accuracy issues with xmacros, and the only other similar option around seems to be the ported shields from the PC. Ports interest me less than comps, just because of jacket shaving issues.

This is very interesting. Now I’m going to have to do some testing with mine.
    **OK**

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    For a small (read: micro compact), comped gun… is the RDP the best option going right now? There seem to be reliability issues with PMM comped 365s, accuracy issues with xmacros, and the only other similar option around seems to be the ported shields from the PC. Ports interest me less than comps, just because of jacket shaving issues.
    This is what you are facing.

- small guns with short slides tend to be less reliable

- comps tend to be less reliable than non comp'd pistols

- Springfield Armory small pistols tend to get less high volume use than the 365 and 43X family.

My question is why a comp? Could be fine but you will be the test pilot to let us know.

Site Supporter
    This is what you are facing.

- small guns with short slides tend to be less reliable

- comps tend to be less reliable than non comp'd pistols

- Springfield Armory small pistols tend to get less high volume use than the 365 and 43X family.

My question is why a comp? Could be fine but you will be the test pilot to let us know.
    I completely agree. That’s why watching Pannone’s testing has been so interesting, his examples have run flawlessly thus far.

As to why a comp, really just because it’s an interesting concept that provides benefit when it works reliably. Reliability aside, small guns are the place where comps make the most sense on carry guns, because they’re the ones that are hardest to shoot well.
    I likely will pick one up to vet in the end, was just looking for feedback from better shooters than me in the meantime. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll probably go for a 4 inch shield plus.

Site Supporter
    A Macro lower/XL slide upper, is a great shooting pistol that shoots like a G19, but conceals easier than a 19 for me, because of how thin it is. I think this combo is far and away the best Sig polymer pistol.
    Isn't a regular Macro slide the same length as an XL? Why combine an XL slide with a Macro Lower?

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Isn't a regular Macro slide the same length as an XL? Why combine an XL slide with a Macro Lower?
    Dump the comp. Get better velocity from longer barrel

User Tag List