Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hellcat RDP

Site Supporter

Hellcat RDP

Anyone have experience with one of these, now that it’s been on the market for a while? I’ve been dabbling in small carry guns recently, and have found the p365xl (even with WC grip) to be a bit too small, and to give me a bit too much slide bite. The g48 is a little large (really just the corner of the mag) and my example hasn’t been reliable enough to really inspire confidence.

The RDP interests me because it’s a small factory comped optics ready gun, that doesn’t seem to give me slide bite the way other guns do. It’s a gun I had initially discounted because well, Springfield Armory, but Mike Pannone picked one up as part of his recent deep dive into micro compacts, and that’s what really got me interested.

I have a Hellcat RDP. It's been 100% reliable, and accurate for what it is. I owned a regular Hellcat before that and found the recoil to be pretty aggressive compared to others of similar size. I hoped the Hellcat RDP would be noticeably softer in recoil. Honestly, I've been pretty underwhelmed by the RDP. Shooting the regular Hellcat and the RDP side by side, the difference in recoil was barely noticeable. But the length of the comp in an IWB holster was considerably noticeable, and IMO not worth the minimum difference in recoil. Also the comp (or even threaded barrel without the comp) made pocket carry impossible.

I still have my RDP, but I don't carry it or use it. I stick with my Glock 43 and 43X for carry. I know their capacity is sad, but they shoot great for me and are comfortable to carry.

I am interested where this goes. I too am considering one. I rented a Hellcat the other day a d really liked the base model. Just enough grip girth for better control, not as “snappy” as my 43x. I think I am gonna do the switcheroo.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    I am interested where this goes. I too am considering one. I rented a Hellcat the other day a d really liked the base model. Just enough grip girth for better control, not as “snappy” as my 43x. I think I am gonna do the switcheroo.
    I’ll probably be trying to sell my g48 to get into one pretty soon. All that I’ve heard of the RDP model is pretty positive, but there doesn’t seem to be that much out there from sources I’d consider truly reputable. The footprint is pretty appealing too, a short grip and a 4 inch barrel is a good combo for concealment.

I’ve shot the standard Hellcat and the RDP. I honestly didn’t care for either one. I just didn’t shoot them as well as I do other guns. They do look and feel good.
    If you must have a smaller gun, check out the Sig X-Macro.
    **OK**

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DLWinner View Post
    I’ve shot the standard Hellcat and the RDP. I honestly didn’t care for either one. I just didn’t shoot them as well as I do other guns. They do look and feel good.
    If you must have a smaller gun, check out the Sig X-Macro.
    The XMacro isn’t exactly small though. It’s taller than a g19 is, and still has the protruding base pad that causes printing issues for me on glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    The XMacro isn’t exactly small though. It’s taller than a g19 is, and still has the protruding base pad that causes printing issues for me on glocks.
    Makes sense. I have one, but I’ve never carried it. Have you tried the M&P Shield plus? Somewhat bigger grip.
    **OK**

Chop an x Maceo grip to xl length

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DLWinner View Post
    Makes sense. I have one, but I’ve never carried it. Have you tried the M&P Shield plus? Somewhat bigger grip.
    I’ve thought a fair amount about the shield plus actually. It looks like another great option that fits well within the size range I’m looking at. I don’t really have a preference between it and the hellcat RDP, but I’m interested in the factory comp that the RDP comes with. For me, guns in this size range are where carry comps make the most sense if well executed.

I’ve thought a fair amount about the shield plus actually. It looks like another great option that fits well within the size range I’m looking at. I don’t really have a preference between it and the hellcat RDP, but I’m interested in the factory comp that the RDP comes with. For me, guns in this size range are where carry comps make the most sense if well executed.
    A shield.plus shoots close to a glock 26 imo

Personally not really a fan of compensator on a self defense gun

User Tag List