Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Bubba or not to Bubba?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    My hand size is pretty large and my trigger finger indexes at an angle (not perpendicular throughout the trigger stroke), so it kinda slides along the face of the trigger to an extent. This is a little more pronounced with the K/L frames vs. N frames.

The hammers are indeed different due to the larger cylinder and the longer reach to the primer. These older ones also have hammer noses vs. having the frame mounted firing pin. I haven't even thought of looking at the triggers to see if a MIM trigger might work. That might be an option.

My 28 needs some love, if I go into "Miculek impersonation mode" with it, it'll skip a chamber occasionally. At normal human speeds carry up and lockup work as it should. It has some use under it's belt, this is why I'm thinking of addressing the trigger face now while I have the side plate off. The 15 is in great shape and is my favorite wadcutter gun, it's just a joy to shoot except for trashing my trigger finger.
    Are the triggers standard width or wider?
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Here's a cheap idea & easy- get some heatshrink tubing, and just put it over the trigger. Hit it with a lighter, then drive on.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Here's a cheap idea & easy- get some heatshrink tubing, and just put it over the trigger. Hit it with a lighter, then drive on.
    I was thinking of plastic tubing but your idea is the answer. Well done.

Just do it

I have done dozens of these back in the bowling pin shooting days. My two main guns (25-2 and 27) have tens of thousands of rounds each with no ill effects and no blisters on my trigger finger.

Grinding off the case hardened face of the trigger does not affect the strength, unlike taking it off the contact surfaces.

If it’s a shooter, I’d do it.

Dremel away. I've done several over the years. No problems with them. I think I narrowed at least one.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Are the triggers standard width or wider?
    Thankfully they are standard width.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Thankfully they are standard width.

Well heck, if they were wider I swap a factory smooth trigger for each. I prefer the grooved and wider.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Maybe a belt sander would work better with the contours better than a dremel. Switching to finer and finer surfaces until you have a mirror smooth finish.

This is my 5" 29-2.

Originally it had a wide target trigger. I had it narrowed just slightly then polished and smoothed.

I tried the heat shrink yesterday. It works okay but because of the curve of the trigger it left two horizontal "ribs" on the front face. but it certainly took off the bite from the side edges. 1/4 inch tube is the smallest I could slip on. Maybe something slightly looser would slide on the trigger without bunching up on the front face.

the heat shrink won't work on my J-frame M-36. the tube adds just enough thickness to bottom out the rear of the trigger against the triggerguard before it gets to full cock in single action.

User Tag List