Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with aiwb

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    IME, the 5" pistols (1911, G34, etc) don't need wedges, they need an effective claw. I have an older JM with a claw that's great, but use a 5Shot SME daily with a steel government.
    Slight thread drift, but have you experienced the claw on the SME warping at all through wear? As in, after a few years of wear does it match the curve of your hip more than it did when new, and thus not conceal as well as it did?

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    Slight thread drift, but have you experienced the claw on the SME warping at all through wear? As in, after a few years of wear does it match the curve of your hip more than it did when new, and thus not conceal as well as it did?

I can't tell if it's not the same shape as before. But concealment is unchanged. Holster is from 2017(?)

Site Supporter
    It's likely you would have better luck without the extra tuck, but you can probably get this to work. Try moving the holster to your right a bit, toward the crease between your thigh and torso. Then reinstall the claw to help hide the butt of your gun.

I carry a CCO currently, but I've carried 5" 1911s without much trouble in a JMCK holster.

Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Thank you, I’m just trying to conceal too much fun for aiwb then? I’m 5’9” and 190 lbs. 33 waist fits good but I get 34 to carry with. If it was a 4” barrel I think I’d be a little better, but it’s not. I’ll try a different belt and see if that helps at all.

I just can’t like polymer guns or else I’d switch it up. But I just love 1911 and maybe I need to learn to live with it digging into me if I can’t get a pillow carved out right. Or maybe I’ll just go back to the vm2 and regular iwb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have carried a similar size gun a lot: a 92F. 2.0, cant the muzzle to centerline, claw, and a large wedge. That belt looks awful. I use 1 3/4" rigger belt from Snake eater Tactical, with the cobra buckle left of the holster. Can I do burpies in that rig? Hell, no. Like you, I have avoided Glocks, until now. I'm switching to a 19G5 in a G17 2.5. Same belt, flat pad, no cant, ready for a dot, shoots very well, and it's so much lighter/easier. Come to the dark side...
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    That mag well is going to make things harder concealment wise.

I’ll add that I carry with a Glock 17 length holster but find that 5 inch guns cause enough accidental scrotum smashes that they’re just a bit too long for me.

One more tip, briefs or boxer briefs to keep everything in place helps make aiwb a lot more comfortable for me than boxers.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    That mag well is going to make things harder concealment wise.

I’ll add that I carry with a Glock 17 length holster but find that 5 inch guns cause enough accidental scrotum smashes that they’re just a bit too long for me.

One more tip, briefs or boxer briefs to keep everything in place helps make aiwb a lot more comfortable for me than boxers.
    I prefer just free ballin it, but conceal carry does not work to good with that.

I will give them a call, and see what they have to say, jm. I am going to take everything under advisement that's been posted, and try to get it to work. Thanks one and all for your advice. Will make sure to update as things progress.

[QUOTE=ubet;1540255]I’ve tried every adjustment and all the claws. I didn’t cut the wedge down or do any of that modding. If they’ll let me return it, I’m going to. I like the build of the holster and the idea of aiwb. But I just can’t get it to feel right or even half decent. I can’t even bend over good with it. I thought I could live with being a little uncomfortable, but it keeps drilling me sitting or bending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOT

ubet, send me an email with your order number and I will see what we can do for you. Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

[QUOTE=Tony Mayer;1540618]
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I’ve tried every adjustment and all the claws. I didn’t cut the wedge down or do any of that modding. If they’ll let me return it, I’m going to. I like the build of the holster and the idea of aiwb. But I just can’t get it to feel right or even half decent. I can’t even bend over good with it. I thought I could live with being a little uncomfortable, but it keeps drilling me sitting or bending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOT

ubet, send me an email with your order number and I will see what we can do for you. Thanks
    Thanks for the help, I appreciate it

[QUOTE=ubet;1540742]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it

My pleasure!
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

@ubet

I understand that a lot of men like to wear their AIWB holster high -- something about a full firing grip -- but I cannot carry AIWB as high as all that and still have it work. When sitting the butt will ride over my lower ribs and force the muzzle to poke down and back and the butt to print awfully.

The issue was resolved when Tony made me a pair of his standard AIWB QuickShip holsters slightly modified to sit low enough to require a pinch grip when drawing. I would guess that the pinch grip adds perhaps 0.5 sec to the draw.

I'm not able to include photographs. The kid who hangs around here and knows how to do such things is visiting various out of state colleges and is not available. I hope the description suffices.

Duces
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 01-04-2024 at 03:59 PM.
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

User Tag List