Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, here's a conundrum

Well, here's a conundrum

I had a squib today. The bullet was just peeking out. I pounded it out with a wood stick I made from a sapling. Unfortunately about 2" broke off in the barrel.

After trying to get it out there's now a wood cylinder in the barrel

I'm at a loss on how to get it out lol.

Any tips
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Site Supporter
    Torch?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

How far down the barrel from the muzzle is the wooden plug?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Well, if you can CAREFULLY run a small drill bit down the center of the stick, without hitting any steel (muzzle, rifling, etc), it should relieve enough pressure to allow you to then drive the stick out.

(NOTE: This suggestion is offered by one who is neither a gunsmith, machinist, or in any other way qualified to make said suggestion.)

Edited to add: And use a brass rod to drive out the wood. Smaller than the barrel ID and larger than the drilled hole.

Brass rod? How far down the barrel is it.

If you could figure out a way to secure a fitting to the muzzle or forcing cone, the muzzle loader guys sometimes use a grease gun to pump a stuck bullet out by hydraulic/grease power. Perhaps one of the brass cone shaped muzzle guides for a cleaning rod could be tapped for a grease fitting and secured somehow*?

Ive heard of a piloted drill bit being used, it has to be done so the bit is safely piloted in brass or something that wont let it touch the barrel.

I keep a 1/4" brass rod in my vehicle for stuck bullets.

* I have an idea.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    This happened to me once when a wooden dowel got stuck in the barrel trying to clear a ball stuck in the barrel. Brass rod did the trick.

What length barrel? 2.75/M66, or longer?

If shorter, I'd try driving the sapling fragment further in until enough of it exceeds the forcing cone to grab some pliers and work that 450lb+ deadlift magic on the thing. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Brass rod? How far down the barrel is it.
    This is what I’d do. Brass rod and hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I had a squib today. The bullet was just peeking out. I pounded it out with a wood stick I made from a sapling. Unfortunately about 2" broke off in the barrel.

After trying to get it out there's now a wood cylinder in the barrel

I'm at a loss on how to get it out lol.

Any tips
    Just the wood and no bullet. Soldering iron FTW.

User Tag List