Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Rebarrel

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    So, I've spent my morning down this rabbit hole and understanding has occurred. I edited the above post when I realized what you were saying. It looks like I have everything to do this tool wise except the go/no-go gauges and barrel nut wrench. I have found a couple of options for a barrel nut and corresponding wrench.

I don't think I could find a takeoff barrel in .260 so this leaves new which I don't mind. Looking through barrel makers, there are several that will do a prefit Ruger American, how close do you think one would be or would I still need to get them to match the old barrel?
    No need to match the old barrel at all. You want the new barrel to fit the bolt face & action. You could use the old barrel as a reference, but if it isn't a good barrel, it's probably a bad reference.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Have a look at who the author of that article is before you disparage his opinions: http://demigodllc.com/about.php

In general, I avoid wildcat calibers because they are relatively untested, and I'm not interested in that side of rifle shooting.

Lapua will be making .260 brass for the foreseeable future, so who cares if it's not the "popular" new hotness? IMO, .260 Rem remains the best ballistic choice for 6.5mm short action, standard boltface rifles. If you're willing to give up some case capacity for widely available and cheap factory ammo, there's nothing wrong with 6.5 CM.

6.5 PRC is another excellent choice, if you want to jump up to a short action magnum.
    Toonces is right though. The article in question is 14 years old, 6.5 CM offers a massive amount of stellar brass and factory load options, and has a case design to make better use of a short action magazine (this becomes more important if the OPs rifle is limited by a 2.8" mag box and wants to shoot longer, heavier, high BC bullets) and will require less trimming with the 30* shoulder. Ignore all that so we can gain less than 100 fps (10 fps going by the article you linked to) for a rifle that isn't going to be shot at game beyond 300 yds?

I still think a fast twisted 6mm of some type is the way to go for the OP, but choosing a .260 rem in 2024 does not make sense to me.

Site Supporter
    Have a look at who the author of that article is before you disparage his opinions: http://demigodllc.com/about.php
    If you took my post as disparaging to the author, you are reading something into it that I never intended. Just reading the article it was clear that he was a the rifle equivalent of a IPSC Grand Master. Looking at his bio now, it's very impressive. But it's very clear that the market has moved on from the .260 since he updated that article in 2011. Genuine question - what cartridge are serious competitors currently picking for new short action rifles? Does this match the "market"?

In general, I avoid wildcat calibers because they are relatively untested, and I'm not interested in that side of rifle shooting.
    I avoid wildcats now because they are huge time sucks for a round that usually/probably has a commercial equivalent, and there is always something I'd rather be doing than trimming and forming brass. This is starting to apply to normal reloading as well. My tolerance and thirst for rifle loonyism is fading fast as I age.

Lapua will be making .260 brass for the foreseeable future, so who cares if it's not the "popular" new hotness?
    Even if everyone stopped making .260 brass, you will always be able to form from plentiful .243/.308. I'm not concerned with new hotness - I use 30-06 and 35 Rem for deer. What I am concerned with are the ammo manufacturers moving on and leaving me with a hard(er) to feed orphan. Being forced to find every piece of brass that hits the ground is a PITA.

IMO, .260 Rem remains the best ballistic choice for 6.5mm short action, standard boltface rifles. If you're willing to give up some case capacity for widely available and cheap factory ammo, there's nothing wrong with 6.5 CM.
    This is even more of a Betamax/VHS parallel. The .260 may be better, but the market has chosen the 6.5. Remington joins a long list of companies that wouldn't appropriately support their creations, or didn't know how to read the market. The 6.5 has joined the ranks of 30-06/.308/30-30/.270/.243/7mm Rem Mag and will be found in rural gas stations for as long as we retain the right to own rifles. Even for handloaders, that might eventually make life easier.

6.5 PRC is another excellent choice, if you want to jump up to a short action magnum.
    They are all good. It just depends on how much power/barrel life you are willing to burn to get the speed you want.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I know nothing about the .260, but, given the accolades above, I'd be interested in trying one out. Having said that, I've lost count of the number of 7mm-08 rifles I've owned, all of which were fabulously accurate and soft in recoil, so that's probably the way I'd go.
    Yeah, 7-08 is the most common chambering in my safe at this time. Have yet to be disappointed by one. A bit surprised with the OP's experience

Quote Originally Posted by texag View Post
    Toonces is right though. The article in question is 14 years old, 6.5 CM offers a massive amount of stellar brass and factory load options, and has a case design to make better use of a short action magazine (this becomes more important if the OPs rifle is limited by a 2.8" mag box and wants to shoot longer, heavier, high BC bullets) and will require less trimming with the 30* shoulder. Ignore all that so we can gain less than 100 fps (10 fps going by the article you linked to) for a rifle that isn't going to be shot at game beyond 300 yds?

I still think a fast twisted 6mm of some type is the way to go for the OP, but choosing a .260 rem in 2024 does not make sense to me.

OP here, you do realize that I'm trying to breathe life into a rifle built in 1989 and designed way before that. The problem I have trying fit the Creedmoor in my rifle is in the magazine. I have already tried live and empty 6.5 rounds and they just don't stack right causing feeding issues. This is because the 6.5 is fatter at the shoulder .462 vs the .308 family at .454. At a minimum I would have to source a floor plate, it does not let the first round sit straight. I have never measured the box, it may be too narrow to accommodate the 6.5 causing even more issues. Staying in the .308 family is the only way I am going to make this happen and .260 Rem is my leading choice.

Star note here, A set of Clymer head space gauges covers all the calibers in the .308 family making this barrel nut swap even more appealing.

OP here, you do realize that I'm trying to breathe life into a rifle built in 1989 and designed way before that. The problem I have trying fit the Creedmoor in my rifle is in the magazine. I have already tried live and empty 6.5 rounds and they just don't stack right causing feeding issues. This is because the 6.5 is fatter at the shoulder .462 vs the .308 family at .454. At a minimum I would have to source a floor plate, it does not let the first round sit straight. I have never measured the box, it may be too narrow to accommodate the 6.5 causing even more issues. Staying in the .308 family is the only way I am going to make this happen and .260 Rem is my leading choice.

Star note here, A set of Clymer head space gauges covers all the calibers in the .308 family making this barrel nut swap even more appealing.
    I do realize that, which is why I said a fast twist .243 win barrel is the way to go, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Yeah, 7-08 is the most common chambering in my safe at this time. Have yet to be disappointed by one. A bit surprised with the OP's experience

Honestly it could have more to do with gun and bullet selection and not the caliber. It is a Remington model 7 youth with an 18-inch barrel and a little bitty stock. At the time I still believed that everything had to shot with a minimum of a .308 slinging 165s which led me to shooting 140s out of the 7-08. Probably should have been shooting 120s. No other real reasons.

I do realize that, which is why I said a fast twist .243 win barrel is the way to go, IMO.
    I missed where you said .243 Winchester and just assumed you meant something like the 6 Creedmoor. Your suggestion isn't out of the question, I have a Winchester M670 .243 that one holes 105g Serria Game kings, its just a heavy bastard.

Honestly it could have more to do with gun and bullet selection and not the caliber. It is a Remington model 7 youth with an 18-inch barrel and a little bitty stock. At the time I still believed that everything had to shot with a minimum of a .308 slinging 165s which led me to shooting 140s out of the 7-08. Probably should have been shooting 120s. No other real reasons.
    Yeah the 120 TTSX has always given me great performance, on Whitetails. Depending on the specific 140 and your rifles twist, you may be past the 7-08's performance envelope.

Good points, especially for a 300yd rifle.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List