Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silencer causing an over-gas situation. Advice needed please.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post

Ultimately, the "best" solution is to go ahead and replace your barrel with the port that will work best for your ammo needs.

Just my two cents.
    To me, this is also the hardest path and akin to direct milling your pistol for a specific optic footprint. The EZ tune is as reliable IMHO, good for 10k rounds, and can be swapped out in 15 minutes. I am getting 2 pistols direct milled but when I think about a custom barrel, I am too cheap to pay full price!

I shot my 12.5 Carbine gasser today with the .057 EZ Tune (which is stated to mimic a 0.055 gas port). It worked 100% as expected with my suppressor and rifle spring+A5H3 buffer (I was too lazy last night to break open the buffer to make an A5H2***). One one hand, a smaller port is possible if only shooting 5.56 ammo, but even with the AGB I would find the correct setting for 223 lockback and then open it up one more click for the homies who aren't with us. That was doubly conservative for shooting 5.56 and I wonder if that is the equivalent to a 0.055 gas port?

No issues today with 5.56 55gr, 5.56 77gr OTM Clone (my precious stash of CBC), and some cheap BVAC .223 55gr that is probably my lightest load. But not a stress test at all, clean system, indoors, and not a lot of rounds.

*** At some point in the past I bought a bag of tungsten weights. If you have an A5H1, you can then make the A5H2-3-4. The A5H0 comes with an AL weight for the bias spring and cannot be swapped out. Cool Story Bro - If anyone wants some weights to mess with, let me know and we can work something out.
    Last edited by rayrevolver; 01-13-2024 at 03:12 PM.

Site Supporter
    All of these AR threads evolve into myopia.

It’s a PSA rifle/pistol.

So a $500 firearm?

.223/5.56 is currently about $500 / k.

Even if the $50ish BRT gas tube causes port erosion in the barrel at 5k rounds, that’s $2500 in ammo to reach the need to replace the cheap barrel with a better barrel ?

Plus 10” guns run hard and harder on everything resulting in shorter preventive maintenance intervals. MK18s are cool but there’s no free lunch. So 5k would not be a bad time to swap the bolt and action spring as well as the barrel.

If the OP does swap barrels and wants to stay with 10” I’ve had good results with the Expo Arms 10.3” barrel expo arms is the house brand for primary arms. The expo barrels are made by Rosco. It’s a nitrated button cut barrel, but they do have proper .070 gas ports.

Opinions are like a*****es, everyone has one, and there are those that swear by 10 inch barrels. However, in my experience and based on the data I’ve seen from large organization testing- there is a notable increase in durability and reliability by going from a 10” barrel to an 11.5”.

There is a reason why SOCOM is going from 10” to 11.5” in the Block III SBRs and why some of the largest agencies in North America which issue SBR (CBP, USBP, FBI, DEA, ICE, USSS) issue 11.5” rather than 10” guns. It’s also worth noting that until the Navy specified a 10 inch barrel for the MK18, Colt would not sell ARs shorter than 11.5” despite having experimented with shorter guns.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-13-2024 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    All of these AR threads evolve into myopia.

It’s a PSA rifle/pistol.

So a $500 firearm?

.223/5.56 is currently about $500 / k.

Even if the $50ish BRT gas tube causes port erosion in the barrel at 5k rounds, that’s $2500 in ammo to reach the need to replace the cheap barrel with a better barrel ?

Plus 10” guns run hard and harder on everything resulting in shorter preventive maintenance intervals. MK18s are cool but there’s no free lunch. So 5k would not be a bad time to swap the bolt and action spring as well as the barrel.

If the OP does swap barrels and wants to stay with 10” I’ve had good results with the Expo Arms 10.3” barrel expo arms is the house brand for primary arms. The expo barrels are made by Rosco. It’s a nitrated button cut barrel, but they do have proper .070 gas ports.

Opinions are like a*****es, everyone has one, and there are those that swear by 10 inch barrels. However, in my experience and based on the data I’ve seen from large organization testing- there is a notable increase in durability and reliability by going from a 10” barrel to an 11.5”.

There is a reason why SOCOM is going from 10” to 11.5” in the Block III SBRs and why some of the largest agencies in North America which issue SBR (CBP, USBP, FBI, DEA, ICE, USSS) issue 11.5” rather than 10” guns. It’s also worth noting that until the Navy specified a 10 inch barrel for the MK18, Colt would not sell ARs shorter than 11.5” despite having experimented with shorter guns.
    1) He has an 11.5" barrel.

2) BRT tubes do not cause port erosion in the barrel. The barrel's port will erode independently of whether a person uses a BRT tube or not. The 5,000 round service life refers to port erosion on the BRT tube.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    1) He has an 11.5" barrel.

2) BRT tubes do not cause port erosion in the barrel. The barrel's port will erode independently of whether a person uses a BRT tube or not. The 5,000 round service life refers to port erosion on the BRT tube.
    Ah… even better on both counts.

I thought the service life on the BRT tube was up to 10k though ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Ah… even better on both counts.

I thought the service life on the BRT tube was up to 10k though ?
    That's what I understood it as, as well. @Default.mp3 brought up the 5k round number...I'm not sure if that's an early number used before a lot of data points were compiled by BRT, or what. He might have more context.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    That's what I understood it as, as well. @Default.mp3 brought up the 5k round number...I'm not sure if that's an early number used before a lot of data points were compiled by BRT, or what. He might have more context.
    It may vary by configuration (carbine vs mid) and how it’s used (suppressed vs unsuppressed) and firing schedule.

I asked this question years ago and the owner of BRT told me (or whomever the CS rep was) that the tubes had a service life of 5K rounds. The website now states 10k.

Either way, it's not a lot of money for the part.

You guys have been a great help to me on this. In completing the details on BRT's site it's asking for
    Barrel Model/Gas Port Size and I'm not sure how to discover this information. I looked over the barrel for any nomenclature but saw nothing. Could you guys guide me in the right direction for this info please.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    You guys have been a great help to me on this. In completing the details on BRT's site it's asking for
    Barrel Model/Gas Port Size and I'm not sure how to discover this information. I looked over the barrel for any nomenclature but saw nothing. Could you guys guide me in the right direction for this info please.
    David
    Short of measuring (you would need a pin-gage set), you can try to find your barrel here...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=766121382

-Rainman

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    David
    Not needed. Barrel length/gas system, ammo type, suppressor, and RE/buffer/spring should be good-to-go.
    Last edited by rayrevolver; 01-21-2024 at 12:06 AM.

User Tag List