Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silencer causing an over-gas situation. Advice needed please.

Thanks very much for the info!!
    David

In addition to the AR being over gassed, the extractor spring needs to be replaced. Install a Colt or Sprinco extractor spring. Your feed & ejection issues are caused by the weak extractor spring letting the extractor lose its grip on the spent case.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

How is the service life on those BRT gas tubes? Like, how many rounds do you get out of one? Does the gas port on the tube ger eroded at an appreciable rate?

I have a PSA 11.5 that was functionally perfect, but way over gassed. I put a BRT tube on for 50/50 suppressed and it made a tremendous difference in shootability even without suppressing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    How is the service life on those BRT gas tubes? Like, how many rounds do you get out of one? Does the gas port on the tube ger eroded at an appreciable rate?
    IIRC, 5k rounds is the bare minimum, with 10k being their typical advertised lifespan. I assume there are a whole host of variables involved, such as the difference in the gas tube orifice and your gas port, how much extra backpressure is being generated, etc.

Would be pretty cool if they made them out of Inconel or something, for indefinite lifespan. That being said, remember that the gas tube is not taking the full brunt of the gas, the barrel's gas port is absorbing the majority of the initial force of the gas, and already a restricted amount of gas will then reach the gas tube's reduced orifice.

I appreciate everyone's input on this. I'm about to order the parts from BRTY and once installed and tested I'll report back here for the benefit of others.
    David

I have a BRT coming today for a 12.5" carbine dedicated suppressed. The effective gas port is .055 which is the smallest they make.

This 12.5" will replace a 10.3" upper with AGB that I am selling on here.

I also have a Bootleg adjustable carrier that I never really used. They are not optimal but an option to allow quick selection of suppressed vs unsuppressed with a flat head screwdriver.

Ha! I should have known. The gas tube I need is out of stock!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    Ha! I should have known. The gas tube I need is out of stock!
    David
    David - I can send you the Bootleg Adjustable BCG to try out. I bought it used for a build that never happened. Its gathering dust at the moment.

It will get you shooting until the EZ Tune comes back in stock.

PM your address.

I can tell you what NOT to do.

As other's have said, adjustable gas blocks, carriers etc all "solve" the problem to a reasonable degree.

The issue is that with the vast majority of these "fixes" you're introducing complexity into the system that doesn't need to be there. Despite having good results with a variety of products on the market, I still don't trust any of these solutions.

I've used almost every adjustable block on the market. The block that ended up working the best for me without any issues across thousands of rounds was the Superlative Arms. These blocks never seized and never suffered from any measurable erosion to the point where the gas setting degraded and had to be adjusted. My most used SLR gas block has 13k rounds of 5.56 through it, 100% suppressed. The next SA gas block has 9k of 7.62X39 through it, 100% suppressed.

That's a pretty nice testament to their durability. However, these guns were ALL run in a range setting and never saw the "real world". They never saw a variety of temperatures. They never saw mud, snow, sand etc.

Ultimately, anything with moving parts is introducing failure points.

The adjustable carriers from Bootleg and Gemtec all potentially fall victim to the same issue. The gas adjustments are subject to erosion, seizure and on the Bootleg, its only a gross adjustment. Depending on the port size of your barrel, the settings may or may not work optimally.

The BRT tubes have only one downside. Port erosion. A long time ago, BRT quoted the service life span as being 5000 rounds. That's not a ton of rounds but truthfully, it's enough. The tubes aren't super expensive and its an easy process to replace them.

Ultimately, the "best" solution is to go ahead and replace your barrel with the port that will work best for your ammo needs.

The second "best" fix is going to be a gas tube.

The third "best" fix is going to be buffer springs and weights.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Magsz; 01-12-2024 at 04:26 PM.

User Tag List