Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silencer causing an over-gas situation. Advice needed please.

Silencer causing an over-gas situation. Advice needed please.

Banish 223 on AR Pistol

The over-gas is causing the BCG to cycle hard and fast resulting in an eject/feed issue. First time I have experienced this and would like some advice as to how to approach the fix.

The rifle has a H1 Buffer, if I install an H2, would the heavier buffer mitigate the issue?

Thanks in advance,
    David
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 01-02-2024 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    Banish 223 on AR15

The over-gas is causing the BCG to cycle hard and fast resulting in an eject/feed issue. First time I have experienced this and would like some advice as to how to approach the fix.

The rifle has a H1 Buffer, if I install an H2, would the heavier buffer mitigate the issue?

Thanks in advance,
    David
    Get a configurable ported gas tube from Black River Tactical. Choose the "BRT Will Select Size" option, and fill out the rest of the dropdowns. They'll match up a size to what you're trying to do (suppressed only, suppressed and unsuppressed, shitty ammo only, good ammo only, mix of shitty and good, etc).

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/Ad...ystem-c6464009
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Get a configurable ported gas tube from Black River Tactical. Choose the "BRT Will Select Size" option, and fill out the rest of the dropdowns. They'll match up a size to what you're trying to do (suppressed only, suppressed and unsuppressed, shitty ammo only, good ammo only, mix of shitty and good, etc).

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/Ad...ystem-c6464009
    OP, this is widely regarded as your best semi permanent fix. The only thing better is replacing the barrel (or can...) but I assume you don't want to do that. What're the specs on the rifle? There's all kinds of factors that can come into play and you gave about the least amount of info possible.

Banish 223 on AR15

Thanks in advance,
    David
    I ended up going with an H3 in the 2 rifles that I use the suppressor on, Gasbuster charging handles and RTV on the Gasbusters. I stayed with normal recoil springs. The H3 ended up allowing the guns to run reliably with and without the suppressor, you may need to test yours with H2 and H3 buffers.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    OP, this is widely regarded as your best semi permanent fix. The only thing better is replacing the barrel (or can...) but I assume you don't want to do that. What're the specs on the rifle? There's all kinds of factors that can come into play and you gave about the least amount of info possible.
    Silencer Central, Banish 223, Titanium, Direct Thread
    PSA PA-15, 5.56, 1/7, 11.5
    Let me know if you would need anymore info. Thanks

That helps. 11.5 barrel means carbine length gas system and it being a PSA means its likely got a pretty large gas port already. What type of ammo do you shoot? Brass 5.56, steel .223, something else entirely?

Given that it's a direct thread, the BRT gas tube is probably the best reasonable fix. Heavier buffers and springs can help mitigate the issue, especially if you switch to an A5 receiver extension system, but they can also cause shorter parts life, and are not as fine tuneable. Adjustable gas blocks and gas keys are also possible fixes, but are added complexity and an additional source of failure, with no real upside given that you're using a DT rather than a QD can.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    That helps. 11.5 barrel means carbine length gas system and it being a PSA means its likely got a pretty large gas port already. What type of ammo do you shoot? Brass 5.56, steel .223, something else entirely?
    223 55 gr fmj 90% of the time.

Also the issue that is caused by the over gassing only causes a cycling issue say, 5 times out of 100 rounds so it's not every cycle. I still want to correct the issue but.......
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 01-02-2024 at 11:37 AM.

BRT Gas tube, gas buster charging handle . I dont like going over a H2 buffer with Sprinco blue spring personally unless absolutely necessary . The BRT gas tube will fix the root of the problem , short of a new barrel .

It's wicked overgassed.

Per statements by PSA reps on ARFCOM, both their 10.5 and 11.5" barrels use a .076" gas port. For comparison, the Crane-spec for a 10.3" Mk18 barrel is .070", and specs from reputable companies like Colt and Geissele for 11.5" are usually in the .069" to .071" range.

If you try to mask the issue by using a stronger spring and heavier buffer, that means the gun is going to drive exponentially more gas into the piston of the BCG. It will then unlock at a much higher pressure. This will also result in an increased amount of gas being shot out the vent holes on the side of the BCG, since that gun will have to use more gas to unlock the bolt against the heavier buffer/buffer spring. Whatever gassiness you feel with it now will be even worse. In addition, your bolt will have a decreased service life and shear lugs quicker.

Or, $64 gets you a BRT Gas Tube as I mentioned in the first response. That gas tube will have a port, which vents excess gas before it reaches the BCG's piston. This basically accomplishes the same thing as having a properly sized gas port. I have three 10" guns, no 11.5" guns....but one of them is a PSA 10.5" with the .076" gas port. BRT gave me a .057 marked gas tube for it as I wanted to shoot it suppressed only, and it's very pleasant since it is now properly gassed.

At the point you're at now, your gun is teetering on functionality due to being so absurdly overgassed, which PSA does since the majority of their customer base is 1) not shooting suppressed, and 2) shoots garbage quality ammo (It ain't called Poverty State Armory for nothin'). If it was closer to the margins, I'd say sure...just grab an H2 buffer and call it a day. But your gun is so far out in left field, I'd really suggest doing it right and just swapping the gas tube to correct the issue.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List