Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: PF official boat thread?

goddamn that's cool!

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I am relatively young, but have been lucky enough to have been able to enjoy being on and operating a boat since I was 15 (30 now so half of my life). My family has owned 3 Center Consoles ranging from 20’-28’ during that time and in 2020 my dad and I purchased our current boat; a 26’ diesel powered center console. For those “in the know” a straight shaft inboard center console is a pretty rare breed, fitting for a P-F member . Like any boat it has its compromises and is far from perfect, it’s slow, loud, has no usable storage space under the console as that’s where the engine lives, and being a single screw is terrible at low speed maneuvering. But the upside is the seaworthiness with all of the iron down low in the bilge, clean transom, it trolls/fishes like a big boat, and is very fuel efficient.

I routinely have been a 220-300+ hr per year user. Which for those less familiar with boats, is to say very high usage for someone with a full time job. My game is primarily inshore/midshore fishing in the NE from May-November anywhere from 1 mile to 80 miles from our slip.

Boat ownership is absolute headache and a money pit like no other, truly. It’s the only reason I stay in my godforsaken state, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything. The last 3 seasons I’ve slowly optimized the boat for the way we fish and it’s a constant work in progress but it is getting to a place where I am pretty happy with it. In fact I will be taking the coursework for my OUPV license starting tomorrow and am looking forward to starting to run some guide trips and do a little more “over the table” commercial fishing in the coming years.

This post is a bit of a ramble and I’m sure I’ll to it and the thread later.

Attachment 113568
    Attachment 113569
    Attachment 113570
    Awesome!

this thing might make me want to cheat on a Gheenoo...

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

About the time I was ready to buy a boat the salmon disappeared in Puget Sound. Saved me unknown thousands of dollars. I was looking at something like this.

Those are very common around here for fishing and crabbing in the bays. I live on an island two miles from a state boat launch and never owned a boat.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    About the time I was ready to buy a boat the salmon disappeared in Puget Sound. Saved me unknown thousands of dollars. I was looking at something like this.

Those are very common around here for fishing and crabbing in the bays. I live on an island two miles from a state boat launch and never owned a boat.
    I think it's very interesting to see the regional differences in boat preferences. Makes total sense based on climate and primary use case.

I have been out of the commercial marine industry for a few months and now have a purely recreational perspective .

Herself has frequent whims related to boat ownership that I both stoke and bank by renting. We're within 3 hours of Table Rock, which is a really nice boating/swimming lake in central Missouri. If you swing around to the Arkansas side you can buy six or eight hours on a Tri-Toon for about a hundredth of what a used one and trailer would cost... and when you're done, you give the boat back to the folks and drive home. I love it; we normally do it a couple times per summer, but this summer is Scouting Apeshit (a seven day in Kansas, a ten day in MO, and six days at Seabase in FL) so I bet we will miss out.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I think it's very interesting to see the regional differences in boat preferences. Makes total sense based on climate and primary use case.
    Styles change a bit when you get to the coast. A friend had a Grady White he used to fish in the ocean. He went out 20 miles or so to fish. I used to buy 15 lb Chinook from him.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I have been out of the commercial marine industry for a few months and now have a purely recreational perspective .

Herself has frequent whims related to boat ownership that I both stoke and bank by renting. We're within 3 hours of Table Rock, which is a really nice boating/swimming lake in central Missouri. If you swing around to the Arkansas side you can buy six or eight hours on a Tri-Toon for about a hundredth of what a used one and trailer would cost... and when you're done, you give the boat back to the folks and drive home. I love it; we normally do it a couple times per summer, but this summer is Scouting Apeshit (a seven day in Kansas, a ten day in MO, and six days at Seabase in FL) so I bet we will miss out.
    How're the lakes closer to KC? I'm moving there soon and debating bringing the ski. It doesn't need a lot of water obviously but I'm used to 100+ mile cruises on the intercoastal waterway here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    How're the lakes closer to KC? I'm moving there soon and debating bringing the ski. It doesn't need a lot of water obviously but I'm used to 100+ mile cruises on the intercoastal waterway here.
    a person with a bass boat and a Yen for Stren can have a lot of fun within an hour of KC. I am a little clueless about the value of the local rec lakes for seadoings, but man a jet ski is AWESOME on table rock.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Ranger 619.... ultimate go fast chase muskies money pit.

Name:  IMG_1544.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  79.1 KB
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

User Tag List