Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PF official boat thread?

For not being a boat owner, and not caring for the salt water, I watched this and found myself wondering “how much would a full-time slip cost somewhere?” so I could just live on this year-round.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Miami boat show is coming up in February.

It's like the Detroit auto show of boating... But with mega yachts, cigarette boats, EV boats, and everything you could imagine.

Not a great place to buy a boat... Unless you're commissioning a $10M yacht.
    I've been in Miami during the show but not at it (was down there with wife for 2/14) and built a condo across the street from the Ft Lauderdale boat show so I know how crazy they can be. Still never actually went *to* the show, likely because my wife worked on yachts for several years in her youth and she wants nothing to do with them now!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Iam now well down the liveaboardrabbit hole…

$150k “yacht”, $1500-$2500/month slip costs… zero lawn maintenance, zero any sort of property management…

Yeah, there's maintenance to the boat itself, I get that.

Hurricane coming? Up anchor and “sail” away.

Want to go on vacation? Motor over to the Bahamas, or up to Savannah or Newport or… or… or…

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Iam now well down the liveaboardrabbit hole…

$150k “yacht”, $1500-$2500/month slip costs… zero lawn maintenance, zero any sort of property management…

Yeah, there's maintenance to the boat itself, I get that.

Hurricane coming? Up anchor and “sail” away.

Want to go on vacation? Motor over to the Bahamas, or up to Savannah or Newport or… or… or…
    Sounds like RV life with the added risk of sinking or piracy.

Chris

The only boat I have ever owned has been a 12 jon boat at our family farm when I was growing up. My son and I love to fish together and that fishing is done at a friends who has a similar boat but a lot of ours is also done from the bank of their small pond.

I don't know much about boats. I told my son I want the Glock 19 of boats. I want it small enough to be easy to maneuver and fish ponds but big enough for "larger" small lakes and go up river.
    I am looking to get "us" a boat. I am wanting a 15-18 foot jon boat with a 15-40 hp motor. My wife will join us for the ride and rarely will my daughter as she is off at college.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Sounds like RV life with the added risk of sinking or piracy.

Chris
    one can only hope...

My personal "dream boat" for Florida rivers would be a Custom Gheenoe LT25 center console with poling platform and aftermarket folding top for the sun (this is based solely on youtube, seeing them on the rivers, the fact that they are a Florida company and that's about it!) and it's through said youtubing that I got familiar with the motorized jack plate people put on them to really take advantage of the "skinny water" they can get into, along with almost everyone seems to keep a pole on them, regardless of whether they add the polling platform or not.

If I ever got my dream house on a Florida river I'd want said Gheenoo for me and some kind of pontoon or other "fun" boat for groups/family.

and I even like the color!
    This is also cool as shit imo

Name:  IMG_0777.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  57.6 KB

This is also cool as shit imo
    I have also considered some of the simple modified V jon boats like Sea Arc.

I am relatively young, but have been lucky enough to have been able to enjoy being on and operating a boat since I was 15 (30 now so half of my life). My family has owned 3 Center Consoles ranging from 20’-28’ during that time and in 2020 my dad and I purchased our current boat; a 26’ diesel powered center console. For those “in the know” a straight shaft inboard center console is a pretty rare breed, fitting for a P-F member . Like any boat it has its compromises and is far from perfect, it’s slow, loud, has no usable storage space under the console as that’s where the engine lives, and being a single screw is terrible at low speed maneuvering. But the upside is the seaworthiness with all of the iron down low in the bilge, clean transom, it trolls/fishes like a big boat, and is very fuel efficient.

I routinely have been a 220-300+ hr per year user. Which for those less familiar with boats, is to say very high usage for someone with a full time job. My game is primarily inshore/midshore fishing in the NE from May-November anywhere from 1 mile to 80 miles from our slip.

Boat ownership is absolute headache and a money pit like no other, truly. It’s the only reason I stay in my godforsaken state, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything. The last 3 seasons I’ve slowly optimized the boat for the way we fish and it’s a constant work in progress but it is getting to a place where I am pretty happy with it. In fact I will be taking the coursework for my OUPV license starting tomorrow and am looking forward to starting to run some guide trips and do a little more “over the table” commercial fishing in the coming years.

This post is a bit of a ramble and I’m sure I’ll to it and the thread later.

Name:  IMG_6060.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  83.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_0305.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  51.1 KB
    Name:  f719f4b4-e913-41cf-880e-a1453e9a7751.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  58.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I have also considered some of the simple modified V jon boats like Sea Arc.
    Holy shit that's a lot of models!

But in a quick look I agree those look awesome.

User Tag List