Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EDC Flashlight Open Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    That's a good plan! If active engagement happens, there were likely multiple points of failure beforehand.

Here is a short video I put on YT that discusses the use of an EDC flashlight for enhanced situational awareness;

That's well presented.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I've been using a Quark Tactical for the last 10 years or so.
    Funny story about my wife using the Quark Tactical one night to walk the dogs.

For those who are not familiar with the UI, it's two modes via a head switch: either tight for one mode or backed off a little from tight for the second mode. Both modes can be programmed from a selection of about 10 different output modes, which is very cool.

However, the programming mode is entered by a short succession of tight-loose turns of the head (three if I remember correctly). My wife, going between the two modes I had programmed, managed to place the little Quark in programming mode and ended up with some Nordic SOS strobe. When she got back she told me that something is wrong with the flashlight as it keeps blinking.

This ended my infatuation with the Quark programmable user interface, though I remain a huge fan of high/low bezel switches.

I think Streamlight has this best covered with their Ten-Tap programming, which requires a very deliberate effort to enter programming mode. That said, I'm not a fan of any programmable light for serious use.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    That's well presented.
    Thanks! :-)
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

I have owned many many dozens of pretty much every "Tactical" light since my first SureFire 6P back in 1991. My current favorite EDC is the Olight Warrior Mini 3. Intuitive med/high momentary/constant from the rear switch and moonlight and low for admin if you want them. As spotty with flood as a light this size can get. Also as good or better fit and finish than Surefire.

https://www.olightstore.com/warrior-...ble-flashlight

My previous favorite for years was the Klarus E2 which is the same slim form factor with good tactical UI but floodier and not as easy med/high switching.

My other longtime current rotation lights are the Klarus XT21X on my duty vest because its is 4400lumen in a decent size light with tactical UI and the Klarus E3 on my duty belt as a compromise between size, runtime, and lumens.

Previous EDC lights include the SF EDCLT-2, L2 Aviator, and various fancy customs which were cool but in the end out-evolved by newer, better, lights.

I am also in LOVE with the Olight Marauder Mini as a general use walking around light, especially if you have kids. https://www.olightstore.com/marauder...led-flashlight

The general flashlight enthusiast market is driving innovation too fast to stick with previously top tier manufacturers who are being left behind faster and faster nowadays. You might as well buy moderately priced great new stuff every couple of years and have plenty of backups as you continually upgrade.

That said, all my weaponlights are from top tier manufacturers.

Dennis.

Dennis, thanks for your post! It raises some great points worthy of discussion. As a note, the following is based on my own views, and I recognize that YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I have owned many many dozens of pretty much every "Tactical" light since my first SureFire 6P back in 1991.
    Based on the countless number of "tactical" flashlights on the market today, it's clear that the use of the word "tactical" is entirely a marketing ploy, and used mostly by Asian makers.

To ground this discussion let's start with this: what is the meaning of "tactical"? Here's the Oxford dictionary definition;

Relating to or constituting actions carefully planned to gain a specific military end.

• done or for use in immediate support of military or naval operations.
    • showing adroit planning; aiming at an end beyond the immediate action.

To honestly label a flashlight as "tactical" we need to start with this question: what is the tactical use of a flashlight?

Much like the traditional military meaning, the tactical use of a flashlight is in support of personal safety operations: (1) enhancing situational awareness; (2) supporting the application of physical force in a self defense scenario

Using a military analogy, radar is used to (1) detect and identify a threat and (2) direct and guide weapons to destroy the threat. For the individual, a "tactical flashlight" is used for exactly the same purposes.

That said, all my weaponlights are from top tier manufacturers.
    What I find interesting is that WMLs are rarely labelled as "tactical" yet their use is understood to be exactly that. So what would truly be a "tactical flashlight"?

IMO, it's essentially a WML designed to be held in the hand. As with the typical WML, it embodies the following key features;

• one switch (for a hand held light, on the tailcap) for fumble-free operation under stress
    • single output (all the lumens all the time)
    • reliable momentary-only operation (avoidance of accidental constant-on)
    • rugged construction
    • ...and of great importance for a hand held light, ergonomics designed for established techniques

IMO, anything beyond the above only serves to hinder or complicate the handling and operation of a light intended for this use. The original Surefire 6P is truly a tactical light, and IMO remains an excellent example of such.

The challenge with an EDC flashlight is that one that is perfectly suited for defensive use (as described above) is not ideal for the way a typical EDC flashlight is used 99% of the time. To date, I have yet to see a design that effectively bridges these uses without some serious compromise, and remains the reason I carry two lights - especially while carrying a pistol.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 01-03-2024 at 06:21 AM.

• one switch (for a hand held light, on the tailcap) for fumble-free operation under stress
    • single output (all the lumens all the time)
    • reliable momentary-only operation (avoidance of accidental constant-on)
    • rugged construction
    • ...and of great importance for a hand held light, ergonomics designed for established techniques

IMO, anything beyond the above only serves to hinder or complicate the handling and operation of a light intended for this use. The original Surefire 6P is truly a tactical light, and IMO remains an excellent example of such.

The challenge with an EDC flashlight is that one that is perfectly suited for defensive use (as described above) is not ideal for the way a typical EDC flashlight is used 99% of the time. To date, I have yet to see a design that effectively bridges these uses without some serious compromise, and remains the reason I carry two lights - especially while carrying a pistol.
    I lived my on and off duty flashlight life for a couple decades by the list above. I still have my original 6P& 6Z bought when they first came out, as well as fancy bored out versions with 18650's and custom LED bulbs as I tried to hold on to the good old days... However, after the advent of usable WML for duty and EDC I no longer see the need for a 100% defensive use flashlight. I still believe in full power as default from a rear tail switch, but I am more than happy to have a sub switch to control power and especially the Olight half/full press UI on their "tactical" line. This allows actual EDC use with lower power levels available but still fulfill 99% of defensive needs easily with some familiarity. Just like with anything, if you are willing to put in the training time you can handle more options.

Luckily or unluckily, I have been able to use dozens of various flashlights in many hundreds of "tactical/defensive" situations mostly on duty and have faced everything from dropped lights, broken bulbs, out of battery, light ND, stuck ON, stuck OFF, too much light, too little light, and probably much more. I have found ways to deal with problems on the fly and understand what I like and what I think is important to me and my needs. Your needs will likely vary and what works for me may not work for you, and defaulting to the list above is a solid starting point.

Obviously, every point on the above list is a given for a WML

Dennis.

Funny story about my wife using the Quark Tactical one night to walk the dogs.

[Snip]
    My wife, going between the two modes I had programmed, managed to place the little Quark in programming mode and ended up with some Nordic SOS strobe. When she got back she told me that something is wrong with the flashlight as it keeps blinking.

[Snip]

This ended my infatuation with the Quark programmable user interface, though I remain a huge fan of high/low bezel switches.
    MY 10+ year old daily carry Quark X Tactical started randomly going into strobe mode even when I had it in a different mode. Cleaning it thoroughly seemed to fix it for while, but it would soon wig (Whig?, Mrs. Wiggins?) out again.

Swapping the body with my virtually new Quark (no X) Tactical has restored it to proper functioning. Now it's ready for another 10 years of riding next to my knife, anodizing destroying, pocket carry.

Name:  20240111_002458A.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  69.4 KB

X head (230 lumens, ooh!) vs Non-X head (206 lumens)
    Name:  20240111_003301A.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  46.4 KB

Gringop

PS. There was/is a mod for the Quark tail cap switch where you cut off a certain length of an empty 9mm case to end up with a hollow brass tube that you put inside the rubber switch cover. Now, you will have no more inadvertent light ADs, you had to press the switch in a positive manner to get it to actuate.
    We were so damn Tactical in those days!
    Last edited by gringop; 01-11-2024 at 02:59 AM.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    PS. There was/is a mod for the Quark tail cap switch where you cut off a certain length of an empty 9mm case to end up with a hollow brass tube that you put inside the rubber switch cover. Now, you will have no more inadvertent light ADs, you had to press the switch in a positive manner to get it to actuate.
    We were so damn Tactical in those days!
    That's a new one to me!

The boot is tall and squishy, when pressing it feels like a nipple on a baby bottle. I can see how the mod would address that.

However, after the advent of usable WML for duty and EDC I no longer see the need for a 100% defensive use flashlight.
    Yes, I agree with that observation!

The dedicated "fight light" is indeed used in lieu of a WML, which for civilian use offers some advantages - mainly the ability to use it without having to draw the weapon. I believe there's a consensus that LEOs have much more latitude with that than a civvie does.

While it may not be a consensus, there's a line of thinking that for civilian use a light attached to a pistol has much less utility than one that is not. My assertion is that if a second light is carried, a hand held light that is ideally configured for use with a handgun ("fight light") is no more difficult to carry than a WML, gives up little (if anything) in the ease-of-use with the handgun, but provides a lot more utility.

I do concur that this reasoning may not apply to LEOs.

Site Supporter
    Yes, I agree with that observation!

The dedicated "fight light" is indeed used in lieu of a WML, which for civilian use offers some advantages - mainly the ability to use it without having to draw the weapon. I believe there's a consensus that LEOs have much more latitude with that than a civvie does.

While it may not be a consensus, there's a line of thinking that for civilian use a light attached to a pistol has much less utility than one that is not. My assertion is that if a second light is carried, a hand held light that is ideally configured for use with a handgun ("fight light") is no more difficult to carry than a WML, gives up little (if anything) in the ease-of-use with the handgun, but provides a lot more utility.

I do concur that this reasoning may not apply to LEOs.
    I agree. If I am drawing a gun, it is very likely because I have already identified a threat. If I need the light, I am probably not at a point where I am justified in drawing the gun.

I may start carrying a weapon mounted light on some occasions at some point, but do not see it working well for most of my concealed carry.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List