Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EDC Flashlight Open Discussion

EDC Flashlight Open Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I like the idea of a separate EDC thread for flashlights.
    Here it is! Open discussion on any topic regarding EDC flashlights.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

I prefer a minimalist light as a compact personal illuminator which I can use to find things in my pack or in the cockpit at night, for night trail illumination or to enable me to exit a darkened building during a power outage. MUST have a red, blue or green lens to preserve night vision. I don't want a bright light which presents a clear target for an adversary to aim at and which destroys my dark-adapted night vision. Bad JuJu!

Switch must permit intermittent use, minimal low Iight with long battery life at least 24 hours or optional higher brightness suitable for building searches with battery life to last overnight on a 12-hour shift. Clip to attach to head band, hat or helmet brim for hands free use absolutely essential.

My EDC is a multi-mode Maratec single AAA LED from CountyCom with green filter.

My objective is not to play Rambo, but situational awareness, conflict avoidance, stealthy tactical movement for evasion and concealment. Not engagement.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-01-2024 at 09:51 PM.

I want a light that has both low and high available from off. Once I found lights with that it makes all the other ui leave me wanting.

My current go to is a zebra light sc64. Its not the best ui but size to output ratio is great.

For my uses I have found either moonlight or high are the two modes I use 90% of the time.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    I want a light that has both low and high available from off. Once I found lights with that it makes all the other ui leave me wanting.

My current go to is a zebra light sc64. Its not the best ui but size to output ratio is great.

For my uses I have found either moonlight or high are the two modes I use 90% of the time.
    I agree. I want 2 modes, either accessible from off. But I prefer a low/medium(100-200lumen) and high mode(800+)

I've been using a Quark Tactical for the last 10 years or so. Great UI where you tighten the bezel for 1 mode, loosen for a second mode. Tail switch is on/off only.

Need to find a good replacement since SF put him out of business.

@JCS and @littlejerry

Take a look at the SureFire E2T-MV Tactician.

It uses the head high/low switch UI you like: tight for 800 lumens, loose for 5 lumens. It's a fantastic light - highly recommended!

This is mine with EDCLB Upgrades;

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    @JCS and @littlejerry

Take a look at the SureFire E2T-MV Tactician.

It uses the head high/low switch UI you like: tight for 800 lumens, loose for 5 lumens. It's a fantastic light - highly recommended!

This is mine with EDCLB Upgrades;

Looks like a great option. Will 18650s work in it?

One of the things that I love about the old Quark design was the ability to program the 2 modes. The light has ~7 modes to choose from and you can select any 2 to be usable at one time. Not something you do on the fly, more of a set and forget. But it allows options to customize to your use.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Looks like a great option. Will 18650s work in it?
    The Tactician works fine with a 16650 cell!

I too like the Quark UI, but I think the overall quality of the Tactician is significantly better.

I want something to finally replace my 13 year old Surefire LX2 LumaMax . Dual pressure switch with useful low beam ( NOT 5 Lumens! )of somewhere between 15-50 lumens with a real long run time . High beam somewhere between 400-600 lumens with TIR beam , long throw /high candela. Minimum of 2.5 hour runtime on high. Good pocket clip that allows bezel up carry as I have carried a surefire in my left back pocket for 20 years now. Nothing has come close yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    My objective is not to play Rambo, but situational awareness, conflict avoidance, stealthy tactical movement for evasion and concealment. Not engagement.
    That's a good plan! If active engagement happens, there were likely multiple points of failure beforehand.

Here is a short video I put on YT that discusses the use of an EDC flashlight for enhanced situational awareness;

Good video and refresher. Highly recommended.

User Tag List