Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC Light Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Maybe I'm weird: for an EDC light, I want two modes, low and high, with "low" being approximately "I need to find my pants in the dark without waking my wife," and "high" being, "OH MY GOD MY EYES". The issue I have is that I have found that I need to be able to switch between modes using only one hand. Every time I have needed more light, it just so happens I have had a dog leash, a bag of groceries, a small child's hand, something else in my other hand, and I need more light right f-ing now!

Having to futz with a bezel or a twisty or something like that isn't going to cut it.
    Not weird. I’m the same way. 90% of the time I use the light is for mundane purposes -i.e. taking the dogs out at night, but every now and then I want it to go to 11.

Check out the Streamlight Wedge. It has a little switch that you rock forward into ON and is in low output mode (300 lumens). Rock it forward and it goes to high mode (1,000 lumens). You have to keep pressure on the rocker switch for it to be on high, otherwise it is spring loaded to go back to low mode.

It’s not your traditional tactical light with the tail-cap switch, nor does is look like one. Which in of itself can be handy.

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/wedge

Site Supporter
    My wife has commented that flashlight collections are analogous to her shoe collection. She does have a point. A box arrives and she says - more flashlights?

One might clarify EDC with a branch to every day, lounging around the house carry. While significant Surefires are scattered in several locations, in the lounging gear we find, either a

Streamlight 66318 MicroStream 45-Lumen Everyday Carry Pocket Flashlight with AAA Alkaline Battery

or

Fenix E12 v2.0 EDC Flashlight, 160 Lumen with 1x AA Battery

They go along with a pocket gun and a small Sypderco. The gun has not be used. The knife attacks Amazon boxes. The light looks for things that fall, examining tiny print that old eyes can't see well, when the power fails and I fight my way to the emergency lanterns (one in each room!).

One real deal Surefire is next to the box with the SD home big ol' Glock.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    About the only thing that I have found that does this without costing a bunch is some variation of the Streamlight ProTac, programmed to low/high mode (I carry a 1L-1AA), where I can just double-click the tailcap.
    In my case I've found such "tailcap toggling" of output modes to be problematic when using the flashlight with a handgun: trying to hold enough pressure on the switch for momentary operation without (1) the switch inadvertently latching to constant-on or (2) toggling to another output mode while simultaneously keeping both the gun and light on target, controlling recoil, cleanly pressing the trigger, etc. seems beyond my available bandwidth.

When used in conjunction with a handgun, I prefer the light to come on and stay on in maximum output regardless of how hard (or consistently) I'm pressing the switch to compensate for my dexterity shortcomings. For a fight light, I'm a huge advocate of single "all the lumens all the time" output and "dead man's pedal" switching.

For non-critical use, mode toggling via the tailcap switch, programming, etc. are all fine. In my case, I find carrying a dedicated "fight light" and a second one for general use to be optimum.

YMMV
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 01-05-2024 at 12:44 PM.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Out here in the wild west, a pocket clip or two is no big deal in any venue.
    Yeah, not anything that even trips as unusual in my head. Growing up in the Southwest remember tons of folks going about their day with belt sheathed large folders in the Buck 110 class. Regional variation in customs...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    My wife has commented that flashlight collections are analogous to her shoe collection.

My boring (and perhaps strange) routine includes wearing the same clothing from the moment I wake up to the time I retire at the end of the day. I do have multiple pairs of EDC pants and shirts, all the same but in different colors.

No "lounging" clothes, guns, knives or flashlights for me - I carry the same "kit" all day, exactly the same way every day. This provides great consistency in where I reach for the needed item and how I reach for it. The only time I deviate is when having to go to a NPE, which isn't very often.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    While this may be counter to moving to well equipped Condition Red in a few seconds, I now tend to like to nap on the couch and the more minimalist set up works for me. While horror is possible even in our low crime rate small town, a smash through the doors attack is a low probability event and a nap is a higher probability action. Perhaps I am violating our group's paradigm, but it is what it is. Napping with being poked by the full belt set doesn't work for me.

There's a spectrum between not carrying but having stashed gear and full gear up. I fall on what I said, comfortable pocket gun and knife and light in comfy house pants. If reaction time permits - Glocks, shotguns, carbines and a snack are accessible. Some revolvers also if it's a retro fight. Got some Buffalo Bore ammo to load up if a bear decides to make the 6 mile hike to here and go for my 10 year old Cabot Cheddar!

Sorry to be silly. But the EDC around the house dress is real.

BTW, besides that EDC Surefire I pictured, the car has as 6P from the past, stashed in the front of the SUV with some extra batteries.

I bought some BEIKE Flashlight 2 Pack, Flash Light High Lumens, Small Flashlights Powerful, Super Bright LED Flashlight, Handheld Flashlights for Home, Camping, Emergency, Power Outages, Travel - from Amazon and they are cheap for two - $9.99. Seem to work and hung one in the garage and in the basement.

Streamlight 73301 Pocket Mate 325-Lumen Keychain/Clip-on USB Rechargeable Flashlight on my keychain as a Photon replacment.

Got a combo flashlight, knife, firestarter, window break deal from an LEO friend stashed in the console also. Also have an extra pair of Danners in the back - since I had LLBean boots fall apart on me in a class. Wife has a point about never having enough shoes.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 01-05-2024 at 01:19 PM.

While this may be counter to moving to well equipped Condition Red in a few seconds, I now tend to like to nap on the couch and the more minimalist set up works for me. While horror is possible even in our low crime rate small town, a smash through the doors attack is a low probability event and a nap is a higher probability action. Perhaps I am violating our group's paradigm, but it is what it is. Napping with being poked by the full belt set doesn't work for me.
    Understood.

I guess I'm lucky that my quest to find a comfy means to keep my normal EDC kit on my person has paid off. Like my fellow boomers, I too take my daily nap - I'm just comfortably armed to the teeth while doing so. ;-)

Site Supporter
    I'm getting a new lounging chair - maybe that will work for an up-armed geezer. Scheduling delivery today.

- maybe that will work for an up-armed geezer.
    We are the most dangerous breed.

If that doesn't make a home-invading miscreant quiver in fear, dropping your lounging draws and showing 'em your radical prostatectomy scars certainly will!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    After leaking high quality alkaline batteries ruined three AAA and AA lights, and a friend’s Garmin GPS, I’m done with alkalines. I’ll stick with rechargeables, 123s, or lithium AA.
    I cannot count the number of headlamps lost to leaking batteries - 6 or 7 at least.

User Tag List