Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC Light Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I cannot count the number of headlamps lost to leaking batteries - 6 or 7 at least.
    If they were Energizer batteries, they have a repair/replace policy for items damaged by leaks:

https://www.energizer.com/about-batt...attery-leakage
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Maybe I'm weird: for an EDC light, I want two modes, low and high, with "low" being approximately "I need to find my pants in the dark without waking my wife," and "high" being, "OH MY GOD MY EYES".
    Malkoff just rolled out a new E-series head that has three modes toggled via the tailcap switch: 900 | 300 | 30 lumens using a reflector and the XP-L emitter. It will work on the Lumens Factory 18350 and 18650 bodies I currently use. I am ordering one to evaluate, could be a good choice for an "everything else" EDC light!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I’m tempted to pick up a Wedge. They’re on sale at Amazon. I’m not sure how I feel about a rechargeable light though.
    Unless you just really want to check it out, I’d pass. I got one as soon as I saw it and thought the shape would be easier to carry, and 500 lumens is plenty, right? I already had a USBc cord in my car ready to go. As soon as I pulled it out of the package and slipped it into my pocket I had doubts. I’ve carried the same Foursevens Quark QP2LX for more than ten years (4sevens deep carry clips are awesome) and recently switched to the single AA body (I run run a 14500) from the 2x123 body which makes the thing just over 4” long. Point is, the .2” you save In width with the wedge is not noticeable, nor is the shape, at least if you’re carrying in a front jeans pocket. But the biggest difference is the light output. The Wedge is 100% diffused spill, with no focused spot at all, not to mention it just seemed very weak. The Quark is, I think, about 750 lumens for the first minute I think, then ramps down to 350ish, and it has a much nicer quality beam. Not to mention with a twist of the head you’ve got 5 more modes to choose from instead of just hi/lo of the Wedge.
    Didn’t intend to make this a 4sevens ad, but the wedge was a disappointment for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Maybe I'm weird: for an EDC light, I want two modes, low and high, with "low" being approximately "I need to find my pants in the dark without waking my wife," and "high" being, "OH MY GOD MY EYES". The issue I have is that I have found that I need to be able to switch between modes using only one hand. Every time I have needed more light, it just so happens I have had a dog leash, a bag of groceries, a small child's hand, something else in my other hand, and I need more light right f-ing now!

Having to futz with a bezel or a twisty or something like that isn't going to cut it.
    I hear what you're saying. Like @NH Shooter stated, there's value in having a dedicated fight light that is all the output, all the time, where one doesn't have to worry about toggling back and forth between high and low mode when using the light intermittently in a use of force situation. I've mostly carried single output lights for just that reason, with the notable exception of the Surefire EDCL2-T and its phenomenal gas pedal switch, which would serve your needs well (soft press for low mode, hard press for high mode) while also eliminating the concern over inadvertently going into low mode when high is needed—a hard press always gets you high mode. Sadly, that light is short on candela, at least compared to more modern offerings.

I've been carrying a SureFire EDC2-DFT for a couple weeks now. While it violates my preference for a high-only light for defensive use, I'm giving it a shot because I really don't like having to carry a separate light for admin purposes, and also because I'm one of those guys who has to have the latest and greatest with some products. That light might work for you, too, although it only works in high > low mode and cannot be programmed any other way. You'd have to cover the light head and double-tap into low mode if you were trying to avoid blasting out a bunch of light.

Cloud Defensive's current line of MCH handhelds are multimode programmable and can be set up five different ways:

1. High Only
    2. Low > High
    3. High > Low
    4. Very Low > Medium > High
    5. High > Medium > Very Low

Those may work well for you, though a word of caution: their High Candela model gets extremely hot in constant-on mode on high output.

Modlite recently released a programmable multimode head for their 18650 lights, but it's limited to two options: high only or high > low.

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    Unless you just really want to check it out, I’d pass. I got one as soon as I saw it and thought the shape would be easier to carry...
    IMO, a cylindrical body with a tailcap switch remains the gold standard of flashlight ergonomics. It best leverages the instinctual way the human hand forms a fist with the thumb on top, and the natural way we grasp objects.

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Unless you just really want to check it out, I’d pass. I got one as soon as I saw it and thought the shape would be easier to carry, and 500 lumens is plenty, right? I already had a USBc cord in my car ready to go. As soon as I pulled it out of the package and slipped it into my pocket I had doubts. I’ve carried the same Foursevens Quark QP2LX for more than ten years (4sevens deep carry clips are awesome) and recently switched to the single AA body (I run run a 14500) from the 2x123 body which makes the thing just over 4” long. Point is, the .2” you save In width with the wedge is not noticeable, nor is the shape, at least if you’re carrying in a front jeans pocket. But the biggest difference is the light output. The Wedge is 100% diffused spill, with no focused spot at all, not to mention it just seemed very weak. The Quark is, I think, about 750 lumens for the first minute I think, then ramps down to 350ish, and it has a much nicer quality beam. Not to mention with a twist of the head you’ve got 5 more modes to choose from instead of just hi/lo of the Wedge.
    Didn’t intend to make this a 4sevens ad, but the wedge was a disappointment for me.
    I ordered one yesterday. Bad weather outside and perusing Amazon is a bad idea. I think I’ll be sending it back after reading this. I want bright and focused. I have a light on my watch that works for avoiding waking the significant other up in the middle of the night. Honestly, having a light on my watch is about the handiest thing ever.

I lost a light about a year ago (I forget which one) and replaced it with a Steamlight Protac 1L-AA. I like the dual battery option as I often have access to 123’s, but the clip is terrible. I removed it pretty soon after getting it and I have no idea where it is now. I don’t like it just rattling around in my front pocket.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I ordered one yesterday. Bad weather outside and perusing Amazon is a bad idea. I think I’ll be sending it back after reading this. I want bright and focused. I have a light on my watch that works for avoiding waking the significant other up in the middle of the night. Honestly, having a light on my watch is about the handiest thing ever.

I lost a light about a year ago (I forget which one) and replaced it with a Steamlight Protac 1L-AA. I like the dual battery option as I often have access to 123’s, but the clip is terrible. I removed it pretty soon after getting it and I have no idea where it is now. I don’t like it just rattling around in my front pocket.
    Give it a look when the blue truck drops it off, it’d be interesting to know if they’re all the same, or maybe I just got a dud. I’ve got one of those dual fuel Pro-tac lights stashed somewhere around here as well, and iirc it has a more useful beam than the wedge. If I can find it, I’ll see if the 4sevens deep carry clip will fit the body. Mine has been seemingly indestructible. https://darksucks.com/products/replacement-pocket-clips

Name:  IMG_2487.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  48.8 KB

Give it a look when the blue truck drops it off, it’d be interesting to know if they’re all the same, or maybe I just got a dud. I’ve got one of those dual fuel Pro-tac lights stashed somewhere around here as well, and iirc it has a more useful beam than the wedge. If I can find it, I’ll see if the 4sevens deep carry clip will fit the body. Mine has been seemingly indestructible. https://darksucks.com/products/replacement-pocket-clips

Name:  IMG_2487.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  48.8 KB
    Will do. That clip looks great!
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Will do. That clip looks great!
    Found it in the emergency kit in my wife’s car. The 4sevens clip fits and seems secure, although it doesn’t lock in like on the quark light, but fits nice and tightly.
    Name:  IMG_2488.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  31.0 KB
    ETA: With a 123 battery, the beam on the protac is much better imo than what I saw from the wedge.
    Last edited by Chefdog; 01-10-2024 at 10:31 AM.

...4sevens deep carry clip will fit the body. Mine has been seemingly indestructible. https://darksucks.com/products/replacement-pocket-clips
    It's nice they sell replacement clips. But, if the clips were really robust most people wouldn't need a replacement. Why are nearly* all flashlight clips flimsy and crappy, while even the cheapest pocket knives have solid clips?

https://www.benchmade.com/products/984765f
    Name:  2023-10-25_52dcba8e-d0c9-451b-9ac6-a273735556bd_768x.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  8.8 KB

*Malkoff bodies excepted.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List