Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC Light Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I avoid pocket clips on flashlights because they can be mistaken for a knife or other weapon.
    That has been my experience as well.

One time my wife and I were at our favorite local restaurant, I was carrying a light via a pocket clip and the guy at the next table kept looking at the clip. There's no doubt in my mind that the use of pocket clips can attract attention.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Hammertime
    Always in the non dominant pocket next to the Swiss Army Knife. I used to clip, but much prefer in pocket after broken clips, scratches to cars, etc from clips, lost lights due to broken clips, and damage to clothing from clips. I don’t even clip folders any more. I just drop it in the pocket and rarely have issues with access unless seated.

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    I picked up a Streamlight Wedge off a prize-table last spring and have been carrying it since then. I like it. It’s flat like a highlighter pen and not round so fits in my back pocket better and has a clip. Before that I carried a Fenix that took 2 AAs since I’m too cheap to buy 123’s for EDC. I keep those by the bed side.

I much prefer a small EDC light over a WML for every day mundane tasks that you need a light (like trying to find the small battery compartment screw on a HS that you dropped into shag carpet).
    I’m tempted to pick up a Wedge. They’re on sale at Amazon. I’m not sure how I feel about a rechargeable light though.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    That has been my experience as well.

One time my wife and I were at our favorite local restaurant, I was carrying a light via a pocket clip and the guy at the next table kept looking at the clip. There's no doubt in my mind that the use of pocket clips can attract attention.
    Out here in the wild west, a pocket clip or two is no big deal in any venue.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I’m tempted to pick up a Wedge. They’re on sale at Amazon. I’m not sure how I feel about a rechargeable light though.
    I kinda like the charging capability. It takes a USB-C cable. Easy enough to charge side-by-side with your phone at home or in a vehicle. About the only time it’d be a PITA if you go off-grid for a few days but that’s where a battery operated light could come into play.

After leaking high quality alkaline batteries ruined three AAA and AA lights, and a friend’s Garmin GPS, I’m done with alkalines. I’ll stick with rechargeables, 123s, or lithium AA.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Surefire Stiletto using the DIP Method.
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

Great discussion, my thanks to all participating!

Here are the two lights I have been carrying for quite a while. This combination works well for me;

On the left is my dedicated "fight light" that is carried in an EDCLB HBC at about the 9:30 position. It's reserved strictly for self defense purposes using a syringe grip, and the Rogers-Surefire Technique if used with the pistol.

Key features of this light;

• The Modlite Legacy Enhanced LED-F Light Head produces 850 lumen with 44,000 candela. I was formerly using the Malkoff E2XTD which produces 650 lumen with 70,000 candela, but I have come to prefer the ML head due to it's brighter spill and overall beam pattern. The E2TXD is no longer made, whch is truly a shame as it remains a top choice for a fight light application.
    • Momentary only using the LF Z14/Z31 Tailcap which features a simple, robust design with great feel.
    • The ergonomics of the light are optimized for the syringe grip using an Oveready E35 body and a Malkoff Delrin grip ring.
    • Powered with an IMR 18350 Li-ion cell.

This light has the candela to reach way out and overcome photonic barriers, while providing a bright cone of spill. When used with a syringe grip/R-S Technique, I think it's as good as it gets.

The light on the right is the Surefire E2T-MV Tactician with the EDCLB Upgrades. It's carried in the right side front pocket using the DIP method.

Rated at 800 lumen and 3,200 candela, it's "Maxvision" beam is a wide flood pattern. It uses a bezel switch for high/low operation: maximum output is achieved with the bezel tight, with the bezel backed off a quarter turn the light produces 5 lumen. I leave the bezel set at low output, which in combination with the wide, smooth beam I find extraordinarily useful for up-close use, and for indoors at night with my vision adjusted to the dark. With the EDCLB GRK installed, I can use the same grip as the fight light, and find it works perfectly with the R-F Technique as well. Powered with a 16650 Li-ion protected cell, this light will run for days on low and for about two hours on hiigh.

This is a key attribute for me: both lights can be handled and operated in exactly the same manner.

In use these two lights compliment each other quite nicely. They cover all of my everyday lighting needs, have almost identical user interfaces and handling qualities, and offer reliable, fuss-free operation.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Maybe I'm weird: for an EDC light, I want two modes, low and high, with "low" being approximately "I need to find my pants in the dark without waking my wife," and "high" being, "OH MY GOD MY EYES". The issue I have is that I have found that I need to be able to switch between modes using only one hand. Every time I have needed more light, it just so happens I have had a dog leash, a bag of groceries, a small child's hand, something else in my other hand, and I need more light right f-ing now!

Having to futz with a bezel or a twisty or something like that isn't going to cut it.

About the only thing that I have found that does this without costing a bunch is some variation of the Streamlight ProTac, programmed to low/high mode (I carry a 1L-1AA), where I can just double-click the tailcap.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Name:  smooth flashlight crown.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  22.3 KB

Note that I smoothed the crenelated crown as the squared edges ate pants pocket. I think that edges have minimal usage as some kind of making small cuts as an impact weapon. I've read that such edges also have caused TSA agents to forbid a light - I dunno if this is true. It's a convenient size, one CR123, fits well into the front lower pocket of my Duluth, zillion pockets ED pants.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List