Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Is a Macro a slimline or mid size?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    First, I'm not at all saying the Macro or similar pistols are dumb or bad, but there is something I don't understand. Sig revolutionized the concealed carry market with it's P365. A very small gun with relatively high capacity of 10 or 12 rounds. Steadily, these micro 9s like the 365 and Hellcat have gotten stretched out longer and taller to the point where they're basically the same length in grip and slide as a G19 or other midsize pistol, while not being as smooth shooting. Is a Macro (or even XL for that matter) really that much easier to carry than a G19 sized gun? I know the grip is a bit more svelte, but last I compared the Macro and Hellcat Pro's grips were actually ever so slightly longer than a G19, M&P 9 M2.0 Compact, or P10C. I've always found the grip length to be the critical factor in printing, not necessarily the girth. The width of the G19 and similar may be slightly wider, but does it really make that much of a difference to be worth not being quite as easy to shoot well? I do find the slimlines, even the XL/Macro versions, to be more snappy and take more effort to shoot well than a G19-sized pistol. And when experimenting with carrying of various slimline pistols like the XL, I didn't find it any easier to conceal than a G19 since both require IWB carry anyway, and both can be concealed under a T-shirt (for me). I'd rather have the gun that's easier to shoot and has a long track record.

It just seems like the Macro sized pistols defeat the purpose of the idea of the slimline pistol, but obviously there's something I'm not getting and that's okay. I don't get a lot of things.
    For ME, the XL carries SIGNIFICANTLY "easier" than a G19. There is a delta in shootability, yes, but it's not enough FOR ME to make it worth toting the larger pistol. YMMV, of course, and probably does.

I recently acquired a Macro grip module and a couple of mags. Haven't tried them yet, because the weather here has been unspeakably foul for the last several weeks. I'm hoping the Macro grip bridges the performance delta between the XL and the G19, but, it will likely be a "range only" grip for me.

ETA: here's the visual of the G19 vs the XL, fwiw... https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...-g19-gen-5-mos

Site Supporter
    While I don't have large hands, I do find the Sig module to be kind of small, personally I found the WC XLmodule to be a huge improvement, not so much with the Macro but, that's pretty good right out of the box

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    To answer your question- Yes. But your criticism is definitely valid. They are unequivocally smaller than a G19 and easier to carry. I went from trying a G19 for a year to a MP 2.0 for a year to the 365 because of the slimness and weight. But the grip IS longer. SIG should have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory but the Macro seems good enough that it is still a home run. It really is sad that we (consumers) give them a win for allowing the marketing hype of being able to claim “17 rounds in a carry gun” while ignoring the grip is ridiculously long. To me, SIG came soo close. If they had made the entire package, magazine inserted, with the same grip length as the 19 but with 15 instead of 17 - That would make it the perfect carry gun. But marketing. They even killed the 15 rnd mags for the 17 hype. I want to go on record as the first to have the idea of seeing if the 15 rnd Hellcat mag will work in the Macro. If so, chop the grip flush and that’s the gun SIG should have made.

To your other points, grip length IS the critical metric for printing. But not for carrying; and not the defining point of the slimlines (nominally, their width). Overall size and weight are what separates them. Which is why they don’t shoot as well for some as the 19. Small guns don’t have the performance of full sized guns. The longer Macro grip length buys back some of that delta.

Interesting. Let me know if that hellcat magazine works please!

Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    While I don't have large hands, I do find the Sig module to be kind of small, personally I found the WC XLmodule to be a huge improvement, not so much with the Macro but, that's pretty good right out of the box
    I do imagine sig will be redesigning the 15 round mags

With a grip module system and a 365 family of mags, based on a 226 dimensioned tube, Sig likely has many variants in their future.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    I do imagine sig will be redesigning the 15 round mags
    Actually, since the macro, it looks like they’ve discontinued the 15 rd mags in favor of the 17 rd ones.
    https://www.sigsauer.com/magazines/p...903&model=1624

I am quite picky. I am totally sold the in between concept. The little ones are challenging to shoot, some more than others, and the fullsize, are too full size. I would like see them come out with some in the middle models. For example, I like the Walther PDPs, but they are overly thick. Just thin them down a bit. I love the variety though!

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Actually, since the macro, it looks like they’ve discontinued the 15 rd mags in favor of the 17 rd ones.
    https://www.sigsauer.com/magazines/p...903&model=1624
    I mean using same macro mag tech to make a new smaller 15 flush fit

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    With a grip module system and a 365 family of mags, based on a 226 dimensioned tube, Sig likely has many variants in their future.
    What do you mean p226 dimensioned tube?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    What do you mean p226 dimensioned tube?
    The P365 Mag tube is the same width as a P226 mag tube and all the other 9mm only double stacks from before the .40 craze, like the CZ75, B92, and Browning Hi Power.

The P365 seemed revolutionary by casting off the chains of the caliber wars. The earlier single stack guns like the Shield (and double stacks like the M&P) had to accommodate multiple calibers and simply have space wasting ribs and indents in their larger dimensioned magazines for the 9mm guns.

Someone finally realized the guns could be a lot thinner if you just stuck with a 9mm only mag tube, which hadn't really been done in polymer guns, since polymer guns and the caliber wars between 9 and .40 and .45 etc had kind of happened at the same time.

User Tag List