Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a Macro a slimline or mid size?

Is a Macro a slimline or mid size?

I have thought of my main food groups as competition pistol, mid size carry pistol and slimline carry pistol.

The competition and mid size pistols change as I do, but for some years my wife and I have settled on the 365 family as the better mousetrap in slimline pistols. The more I shoot the Macro, the more I appreciate how well it shoots. The performance delta between the Macro and mid size has blurred for me.

At this point is there a performance or reliability difference between the Macro and a mid size carry pistol?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Probably not. Interesting how our conventional categories are becoming blurred.

I would consider the Macro a mid-sized pistol at this point mainly because of the full grip most adults can take. The 365XL is a tad short to get a fullsize grip and I have to flare out my pinkie when reloading so I don’t pinch my palm between the mag and magwell.

But from a shooting standpoint, I shoot the 365XL better than any of the other slim-line gats (Glock 43, Shield, Kahr). I’ve only shot the Macro a few times but IME that full hand grip is what distinguishes it from all the other mini’s. And other than slightly slimmer girth it handles just like my P10C -which I consider a true mid-sized carry gun of the G19 ilk.

I may be making the jump in 2024 to the Macro grip module and drop my XL slide and FCU into it. For sure, gonna get a couple Macro mags to use even with the XL.

I was talking with a company that is going to make a steel full size P365 grip module.

What a great time in life to have firearm choices!

Slimline I see as a term independent of the grip and slide length.

If you made a P365 variant with the same overall weight as a G19, it’d probably shoot pretty similarly.

The macro grip has very nice ergos. When Sig makes an 4.0” barrel XXL slide it’s going to be great. .

Feel a macro is basically a lighter slightly more recoil but better ergo G19

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I was talking with a company that is going to make a steel full size P365 grip module.

What a great time in life to have firearm choices!

Slimline I see as a term independent of the grip and slide length.

If you made a P365 variant with the same overall weight as a G19, it’d probably shoot pretty similarly.

The macro grip has very nice ergos. When Sig makes an 4.0” barrel XXL slide it’s going to be great. .
    This is interesting. Hope it fits oem holsters.

Any eta?

To me my Macro XL is like a slim compact G19 sized type pistol. I like mine but if I was doing it over I just might consider going with a Gen 5 G26 or a CZP10S with +2 mag extensions and SCD’s on them. IMHO, there is always pro’s and con’s to the size, weight and capacity of a carry pistol, and you get decide what’s best for you. It will be interesting to see what CZ and Glock comes out with at SHOT in 22 days.

We haven’t done it in a while but my club used to host an outlaw EDC match on months with 5 Saturdays. Basic idea was to shoot your EDC from concealment wearing street clothes (vests were fine but you probably would be made fun of).

We only had 3 divisions:
    John Wick: Anything goes. Shoot yer Open gun if you want to but it had to be concealed
    Goldilocks: Kinda the in betweener division. Basically a G19 size gun.
    ISHBABG (I Should Have Brought A Bigger Gun): This was intended for the sub compacts, think G43 (the original one not the 10-rnd version).

Red dots were fine, but that would put you in John Wick regardless of size of gun (CO was just becoming a division in USPSA).

One cool thing about those matches was it changed quite a few people’s minds about their EDC gun and whether they really wanted to chance their life on that particular gun/setup.

Can’t remember what year it was, but towards the end we started to see an “arms race” in the ISHBABG division. At first it was the G26 with a 140 mag (I threatened to create a Uzi division where the mag was longer than the bbl). Then it progressed with the M&P Shields, then the G43/48 10-rnders, then the 365’s going to 12 and 15 rnds. Now with red dots being more common even on the micros, we would have to rethink the divisions if we started them up again.

IDPA tried with their CCP division but the 8 rnd max capacity is a little behind the times.

A metal 365 grip module that took Lok grips would be awesome.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Kind of reminds me of a Kahr K-9 that I had back in the 90s. But with a better trigger.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    LOK does have brass grips available for the 365 AXG Legion already.

User Tag List