Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ratted out by the Smell?

There was a discussion once about purposely using motor oil or other non gun oil for firearms so as not to alert people and trained dogs.
    I do not recall the details.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UpDok View Post
    We've all probably heard that “concealed means concealed” and are diligent about printing. There is the added dimension of smell that can give you away as a possible “tell”. At a large Christmas party I noticed a particular individual carried the distinct aroma of Hoppes No.9 bore solvent. It dawned on me that sometimes you don’t need a specially trained canine to know someone who is betrayed by the smell of their handgun.

Personally I keep my carry pistol clean and avoid smelly solvents unless it is something like FP-10 that emits a similar aroma to Cinnamon or maybe vanilla. I'd rather walk around smelling like a doughnut than a dirty Glock or a bottle of bore solvent.

If you live in a woke dystopian place full of non-permissive environments that can result in social embarrassment, job loss or legal issues if the wrong folks find out you carry it may be a good idea to conceal your gun’s odor as well as the appearance. Otherwise leave the pistol home in the safe and comply with the self-righteous gun-free pharisees.

Anybody here dip their pistol in Old Spice cologne to avoid discovery?
    I call BS. Hoppe's #9 hasn't had ammonia (and it's pungent odor) for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I call BS. Hoppe's #9 hasn't had ammonia (and it's pungent odor) for many years.
    Is this true for all formulations? The latest MSDS I found was for 2019, which still lists ammonia as an ingredient....along with a bunch of other shit that looks scary as hell to my layman self.

Thankfully, the only smelly gun care product I have is Ballistol, which is specifically kept on hand for corrosive ammo. Otherwise my guns generally get Slip 2000. I haven't bought Hoppes No.9 solvent since 2010, though I still have a few orange bottles of their lubricant floating around. Those things seem to accumulate out of nowhere, I can't remember buying all but two of them.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Finally! A legit reason to lube with FireClean! The subterfuge of cooking oil as gun oil may actually have a bona fide use.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Honest Mister, I swear by all the bacon in Iowa that Hoppes #9 still has a distinctive smell even though they changed the formula years ago. It still cleans bores well also!

Talking about bacon I read there's a gun lube available called "Pig Lube" that is partially made from and smells like bacon. Maybe I'll get some of that so my gun will smell like breakfast.
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

Site Supporter
    Um, is there any gun cleaner that smells like sage(gets rid of evil spirits) and lavender(calming)?
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Um, is there any gun cleaner that smells like sage(gets rid of evil spirits) and lavender(calming)?
    Someone needs to start making essential gun oils.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    If we're going that direction, how about frankincense (main ingredient in most liturgical incense), so it always just smells like I go to church more often than I actually do?

I made my own lube as per this video from School of the American Rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTpWfjVFfEU

For those who don't want to watch a 22 min video, it's synthetic grease mixed with synthetic motor oil thinned down to the consistency of honey. It works great on my ARs and Glocks, I'm waiting for a real cold day (30 degrees) to try it out under harsh conditions.

So not much aromatics detectable around my guns, just a little auto mechanical smell.

But at least I'm sticking it to the man by not buying high priced gun lubes! (looks at 3 half filled bottles of Slip2K that have been sitting around for a few years.)

Gringop

Name:  doing my part.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  26.1 KB
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    If we're going that direction, how about frankincense (main ingredient in most liturgical incense), so it always just smells like I go to church more often than I actually do?
    If only the Saint Gabriel Possenti Society were still around...
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

User Tag List