Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heat press checkin'

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Is checking bad in general, or just the way it's shown in these photos?
    Checking to verify the condition of the firearm is fine, but the “pinch check” shown in the photos thankfully seems to have faded into history. Besides being pretty much a 1911-specific technique, it puts a fingertip right by the muzzle while another digit is hooked inside the trigger guard, so an inopportune bump or stumble could make for a really bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Is checking bad in general, or just the way it's shown in these photos?
    JMO - it's not bad, just do it before you go on duty/leave the house.

Many modern pistols either have an inspection hole or an extractor that lets you know without slide manipulation.

Generally instead of sticking a finger in the trigger guard folks overhand the slide or do the pinch from the rear of the slide.

You need to make sure the slide goes fully back into battery.

I've heard some folks say you are more likely to get a second round fail-to-feed after press checking, because it moves the second round forward in the magazine. I never gave that credence for a couple reasons - one being the round feeding moves the next round all it's going to move it when it feeds and chambers; the second being that partially extracting the round when you press check would move the next round back some (if it moves it at all) and then back forward as you put the slide back into battery. And three, it's not something I;ve ever experienced.

I have to admit - I grew up doing it the 'Gunsite' way plus sticking my finger through the trigger guard to manipulate the 870 safety (I'm a lefty). Those are hard habits to break.

Again, JMO.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 01-01-2024 at 01:01 AM.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I'm not a press checker but I always thought that was the reason for the checkering on the guide plug.
    So,... Press Checkering.

Also works on the G34/35.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    This method of press checking a 1911 was actually taught and demonstrated by Colonel Cooper himself at Gunsite in March 1981. I know, because I was there.

He used the thumb inside the trigger guard method.

BTW, the other instructor in that class was Clint Smith, who also taught the same method.

I'm absolutely certain I am not remembering incorrectly . . . it was the "school" way.

Times change.
    Col. Cooper gave the Mindset lecture when I attended 250 in 1993. He demoed this a couple of times, several IIRC. Thumb in trigger guard.

We evolve and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I'm fairly certain (not positive) that Caan, in fact attended some type of training at Gunsite, where he learned weapon handling and manipulation prior to filming "Thief". Don't know if that training took place on-site at Paulden or was administered off-site.
    It was always my understanding that he indeed went to Paulden, but didn't want to be there and just went through the motions. I think Chuck Taylor was the one that got stuck dealing with it.

Chuck Taylor instructed and consulted.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    It was always my understanding that he indeed went to Paulden, but didn't want to be there and just went through the motions. I think Chuck Taylor was the one that got stuck dealing with it.
    I’ve both heard and read, some from Cooper, that he (Cooper) refused to work with Caan because he didn’t like the criminal character.
    It fell to Taylor to instruct Caan, and the house clearing scene is pure “old school “. There have been others, like an expatriate Brit, etc.
    Taylor also consulted on the movie “Uncommon Valor” with Gene Hackman-he’s in the credits. I often thought the Hackman character having a Thompson was a direct result of his influence.

Edit: I sure don’t agree now with the old press check. Gunsite teaches an entirely different method now, and as someone pointed out there are loaded chamber indicators now. I’ve gotten to the point where I mostly pinch the top of the slide using forward serrations and pull back a bit. Bill Rogers actually looks the cartridge into the chamber when he admin loads in class.

The press check in any form may be going away…
    Last edited by 1Rangemaster; 01-01-2024 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Additional comment

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    I’ve both heard and read, some from Cooper, that he (Cooper) refused to work with Caan because he didn’t like the criminal character.
    I thought he also didn't like Caan, and his attitude to the whole thing, being forced to be there by the director or somebody.

Taylor also consulted on the movie “Uncommon Valor” with Gene Hackman-he’s in the credits. I often thought the Hackman character having a Thompson was a direct result of his influence.
    I think I knew that but forgot that.

Edit: I sure don’t agree now with the old press check. Gunsite teaches an entirely different method now
    I will admit that being that I hung around with a lotta Gunsite folks (I never made it out) I have done it a lot, the 5" gun will even chamber a round this way. I am probably still inclined to do it when I pick up a 1911, typically with a gun I expect to be empty to confirm it is. Maybe a consideration is that Gunsite taught this when everyone had the same pistol, and those pistols all had thumb safeties that would only be momentarily disengaged while taking a quick peek. Old habits from another time.

But I am sure nobody at Gunsite taught Caan to shove his thumb way in there until the second knuckle is pushing back on the trigger!!!!

I guess with a 1911 you would also know you were back in battery if your manual safety would engage.

I was just smart assing, you guys are so serious.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I was just smart assing, you guys are so serious.
    Maybe so, but for those of us that didn't grow up in the 1911 culture it's an interesting discussion regarding 1911 minutiae.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List