Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig P series -- DA/SA vs SAO

My interest in the P229 SAO is as a carry gun, that has a grip angle and trigger action like the AXG based 320 I am competing with, and the 365 Macro I am carrying.

The optics ready P229 allows me to run the optics I like, has a trigger pull that is satisfactory out of the box and suitable for carry, is very soft shooting with +P ammo, has reliable and readily available MecGar 10, 15 and 17 round mags, and has a chunky, blocky feel that draws well from AIWB and handles recoil well. The ambi thumb safety design is the best thumb safety I have used on a carry pistol. It is essentially Glock 19 size which is a size I like. I am curious as to whether it feeds heavy hard cast loads, and plan to do some testing of the Underwood 147 hard cast load.

To JLW's point, I think the risk of the DA being in SA at the wrong time is every bit as great as the thumb safety coming off inadvertently. Even if off safe, the 229 SAO trigger isn't much different than the strikers I shoot. Now if I shot a DA/SA with a decocker as a competition gun, I might feel differently.

As to Sig reliability and quality issues, I have Rattlers, 365's and 320 based competition guns, and they just run. I bought my first P226 at the height of the terrible Cohen days against the herd recommendation. I stopped counting at 11,000 rounds or so without a stoppage or issue, and with only a half dozen quick cleanings.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    When the 2011 trend started, I believe I posted that the SAO 226 was the first reliable 2011. Pretty much still my thoughts.

I started shooting with a 90s 226 and bought a 229 in .40 for my first gun and only let it go to replace it with a 9mm version. Then fell in love with 1911s. Although Ive moved on, I think my 229 is one I’ll never get rid of. While the 365 is the best choice for me to carry, I think a SAO classic P-series sounds like blending my two (pistol) loves. It was a thing to carry the 229 and range the 1911s so I definitely get the issues you describe with the controls. I only shot those two ecosystems, and so, made it work- but a SAO would have been better.

Additionally, even after an action job and lightening the springs, etc, it never approached the goodness of the Langdon TJIAB we dropped in a friend’s M9. Pissed me off.
    While I just haven't shot my Beretta 92D much this year, it's very much an appreciated pistol in the stable. Wilson/Langdon components, Langdon/VZ ultra slim grips, ToolTech/Trijicon sights, Check-Mate magazines, etc. Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

This is gonna cost me money next year.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Im not put off by the size of the 229, im put off by the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Im not put off by the size of the 229, im put off by the weight.
    I just weighed my 229 with the optic but no mag, and it was 29.05 ounces.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    What’s the point of making the Sigs and Berettas SAO vs retaining the DA ability? Such as with the CZ 75.

Does it improve the trigger pull or make things more simple?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I just weighed my 229 with the optic but no mag, and it was 29.05 ounces.
    Interesting. Published no optic, empty mag is 32. Thats what sent me looking at the Wilson sfx9 3.25 and the staccato cs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    This.

Plus, one recurring theme I see in training is people buying TDA because they have been told it's safer for AIWB or because its the latest hipster purchase, but they have not habituated de-cocking. I see them holstering a cocked but NOT locked pistol.

EVERY time the muzzle comes off target one should de-cock.

ETA: I also contend that the safety on a SAO pistol be engaged whenever the muzzle is off target.

Agree.

When it comes to devolving, one should hit the lever every time they come off target, or before holstering, regardless of whether they shot or not. It helps build the habit of using the decocker. I’m pretty sure I picked that knowledge up here.

I don't have a lot of time behind it yet, but I really like my P226 X5 Classic. I am a long time thumb safety user, with 1911's as well as CZ shadows with thumb safeties.

I put up a short post a couple of weeks ago referencing this pistol, and IIRC, I stated at that time that the thumb safety on the P226 felt "different" as compared to 1911's. With a little more time behind the gun, it still feels "different" to me, but not something I can't get used to in a reasonable amount of time.

The pistol is pig-heavy, but very soft shooting and accurate, and entirely impractical for EDC.

I sure wish George hadn't posted the attributes of the P229 . . . .money will be spent, rationalizations will be made.

Site Supporter
    I just found these from KNS precision…for the P-07/09 so off to that thread with some questions.

https://knsprecisioninc.com/kns-cz-p...hanced-safety/
    Name:  F2E47B82-8FF6-4FFE-B095-0A7EAE3DD846.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  34.1 KB
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List