Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Good Riddance!!

Only gun I ever disliked (well, actually hated) enough to dispose of was a SCCY CPX-2 (9mm).

While the enormously heavy and ''all day long'' trigger pull was something that I was willing to try and work with, the fact that it had to go back to the manufacturer not once, but twice for the same issue (pulling the trigger all the way to the rear yet the sear would never break and release the hammer) after less than 200 rounds each time, was enough to shake my trust in the design forever.

To their credit, SCCY did honor their lifetime warranty in both instances and I never went out of pocket one red cent. Just the same, I got rid of it because a pistol that spends more time at the factory than in my possession is a little use to me if/when I need it.

Sold it to an LGS for $50.00 and considered myself fortunate to have gotten even that for it.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Only gun I ever disliked (well, actually hated) enough to dispose of was a SCCY CPX-2 (9mm).

While the enormously heavy and ''all day long'' trigger pull was something that I was willing to try and work with, the fact that it had to go back to the manufacturer not once, but twice for the same issue (pulling the trigger all the way to the rear yet the sear would never break and release the hammer) after less than 200 rounds each time, was enough to shake my trust in the design forever.

To their credit, SCCY did honor their lifetime warranty in both instances and I never went out of pocket one red cent. Just the same, I got rid of it because a pistol that spends more time at the factory than in my possession is a little use to me if/when I need it.

Sold it to an LGS for $50.00 and considered myself fortunate to have gotten even that for it.
    I babysat one of those for a friend who had a mentally ill and unstable family member, and needed it locked up somewhere inaccessible to the family member. Someone had previously given my friend the pistol, and he had never fired it, so he asked me (the gun guy) if I could make sure it worked.

I ran some ball through it, and it functioned fine through most of the magazine. I tried to run some JHP through it, and it turned into a single shot.

One of the most uncomfortable to fire guns I’ve ever shot, but at least it sort of worked. You couldn’t pay me $50 to take one, or even to shoot it again. I’d rather shoot another Ruger Alaskan in .500 - that wouldn’t be much fun, but at least it would work while it beat me up. (If I bought an Alaskan, I’d get it in .44 Magnum or .454 so I’d have easy options to shoot reduced loads instead of $2 + per round to destroy my wrist).

Anyway. The SCCY. It’s a nope from me.

I tried to carry both the G23 and G27.
    Both went away after a valiant attempt.
    A Springfield XDS 45, that was like getting hit in the web of the hand with a bat after the 10th shot.
    An FR-8, which, while really cool looking, recoiled like a bus to the shoulder.
    A Smith 639, which had edges that were razor sharp. Terrible accuracy as well.
    A Walther pps m1, that while a good weapon after the trip back to the mothership, went away after several bites while performing mag changes.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I had several. A Keltec PF9, that dropped the magazine every 2nd or 3rd shot. Also One of the most painful pistols I've every fired. It was right there with s SIG P230, which was a beautiful pistol! I really wanted to like it, but on range sessions, a couple of magazines was enough for me. Call me a wimp, if you want. Next up, a S&W 2.5" Mdl 19. The barrel would never stay screwed in. A box of 50 was enough to shoot it lose. Being older and wiser (It think) now, I would have hung onto that one. I would have at least dropped some money with a smith to see if it could be salvaged. Lastly, a couple of Mini 14s. They were accurate for about 15 or so rounds and then the groups progressively got larger and larger as the barrel heated up. I'll never waste money on a Mini again.

Early production 320 shortly after it hit the shelves. 800 rounds later I wasn't feelin' it and down the road it went. I'm rarely so lucky.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Hungarian FEG PA-63

How they engineered the weak ass 9x18 Makarov to feel like a hot .38 Special through a J-Frame is beyond me. Actually it was worse than a J because it managed to focus 100% of the recoil directly into the web of my hand. The trigger was at least 20lbs double action. Sights, minimalist. And they’re ugly to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    Hungarian FEG PA-63

How they engineered the weak ass 9x18 Makarov to feel like a hot .38 Special through a J-Frame is beyond me.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    Hungarian FEG PA-63

How they engineered the weak ass 9x18 Makarov to feel like a hot .38 Special through a J-Frame is beyond me. Actually it was worse than a J because it managed to focus 100% of the recoil directly into the web of my hand. The trigger was at least 20lbs double action. Sights, minimalist. And they’re ugly to boot.

Yeah, those were objectively pretty bad.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Walther CCP: 1) Terrible trigger. Long hard pull with long mushy reset. 2) Hot has hell in the trigger guard after two mags. 3) Weird take down procedure. 4) Not a good shooter. Only saving grace was that it was reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Walther CCP: 1) Terrible trigger. Long hard pull with long mushy reset. 2) Hot has hell in the trigger guard after two mags. 3) Weird take down procedure. 4) Not a good shooter. Only saving grace was that it was reliable.
    I wanted so badly to like them, and couldn’t. I tried two rental range samples; an M1 .380 and an M2 9mm. Both were pretty big letdowns.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List