Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Riddance!!

I looked over my gun sales history logbook...I tend not to keep guns around when The Next Cool Thing arrives...so most all of them were sold without looking back.

Some however stand out: Walther PPS M2. I thought this was the bee's knees, and was the pistol I took to my first "real" training, a private coaching session with this Gabe White dude out in Portland, an up and coming trainer in Clackamas OR that shot USPSA AIWB. You might have heard of him. Anyway, I realized it was heavy as a boat anchor for a slim 9mm, and after the non-reversible mag release inadvertently released carrying it, twice, I realized a single-shot automatic was less than optimal for a carry gun. Sold it for a HK P30SK V1.

Which didn't work out either. I could never get my head wrapped around LEM. It was sold along with my VP9 when the Gen 5 Glock 19+SCD arrived in 2017. I don't miss it, at all.

Some honorable mentions, two Glocks, oddly enough: Glock 43X. I could never get used to how snappy this felt to me. It was just a pain in the butt to shoot. It went for my first P365XL, which in retrospect, I should have kept. Glock 26. I shot this gun 200 rounds, and owned it 15 months. It carried about the same as my G19, and realized it wasn't doing much for me. So it was traded for my wife's original P365. Which is another one I should have kept, I guess.

The most recent ones are:
    1. SA Prodigy
    2. SA 35
    3. LCP Max

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It was helpful for me to figure out that 1911's weren't as great as I thought they were.
    Yeah, I keep thinking one day I'm going to find a 1911 and "get it." I don't know how much Les Baer spent on advertising in gun magazines back in the 90s but it was effective. I'll probably always want a blued TRS because that defines retro-cool to me. But at this point in life I know better.

If I'm going to drop north of $2k on something now it's going to be another Colt SAA. Pragmatic needs can be met with a $500 plastic 9mm and a $300 holosun.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Noticed more than one mention of the SA-35. Which suggests that Springfield hasn't fixed the problems with them.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Kahr PM45, my first carry pistol, many years ago.

Bought it for the form factor and the caliber. I foolishly thought only small guns were concealable. And I didn't want any stinkin' euro-pellet laucher.

.45 in a 3 1/4 barrel was unpleasant enough, but the cheesegrater texturing on the front and backstraps made it painful. Not just unpleasant, bleeding hands painful if you didn't wear gloves. After shooting the required 500 round break-in rounds (boy what a sucker I was!) my hands were pretty beat up.

After that it took a lot for me to go the range for a pain session. Then one day I woke up and realized I was trusting my life to gun I didn't train with. It went away post haste.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    That reminds me of the .44 Mag Contender barrel I briefly had. It was part of a package and it only took a couple of shots with factory ammo for me to realize the factory wood grip sucks with magnum loads and .44 Mag wasn't going to be my jam anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    BTDT. Ouch!
    And I thought I was the only one. Even after being ported, that barrel sucked to shoot and was put on consignment tout suite.

Alas, it was just one of a long list which I won't enumerate. But...

The absolute worst piece of crap I ever bought new, and the generator of my most intense, "white-hot rage version" of buyer's remorse despite being relatively inexpensive: a Walther P22. At least real manure is useful as fertilizer; that P22 was useful for nothing... and dangerous in the bargain. Even my sole Jennings J-22 provided more entertainment (and actually worked, until it pounded itself into senility).
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    I've gotten rid of decent guns for various reasons, financial, not fitting what I wanted at the time. Various Glocks and some revolvers. Nothing wrong just not for me then.

Things which were no good:

1. Glock 27 - just to snappy for the round loss, nor the gun's fault
    2. SW 317 LS - terrible trigger, I could not overcome
    3. Taurus 94 - cylinder locked up
    4. Kahr PM 9 - never ran, didn't want to futz with it.
    5. Taurus PT-22 - totally jammer, ejected live rounds, closed on live rounds, it was trying to eject, bending it in half.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

There are many that have gone their way, for one reason or another, but standouts for glad they went:

AMT Automag III. Lots of galling. Frequent jams. Went in trade for an International Harvester Garand. Got the better side of that trade 😀 Then again, depending on my mood, this one could go into the Regrets thread too. Fickle? I've heard of it...

Coonan Compact .357. The worst of 1911 jam-o-matic legend and lore. Coonan went under a handful of months after I bought it. Wonder if they were all like this one or if the QC was dropping as the headsman drew near.

Beretta 950BS. The BS should have been a clue 😀 Got it for the deep carry, NPE or PCP roles. Fat hands and that small pistol did not work well together. Slide bite? I've heard of it.

Star Firestar .45. All the gun rags convinced me I had to have one. Traded a perfectly reasonable snub revolver plus some cash too to get it. Pure pain. Not so much recoil as ergonomics. The grip tang managed to consistently hit my hand just un-right to leave one spot tingling and painful for hours after. After maybe a dozen range trips (slow learner!) it made its way to a new home.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

I was raised to be something of a gun snob and that kept me from buying a lot of the makes and models listed in this thread. I've sent plenty of guns down the road because I didn't like something about them, but the only true POS I ever owned was a Firestar in 40 S&W.

That was 30+ years ago and I'm still not sure what I was thinking when I bought that one...

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

It was helpful for me to figure out that 1911's weren't as great as I thought they were.

I missed this when reading earlier. 1911s were the stuff of legend for many in the gun world in years past. Ive had a few, shot them a fair bit, but never quite became a full fledged true believer. Not ever being able to shoot them as well as Smith revolvers, even with concerted effort was a significant part of that, as well as the big letdown after shooting jack rabbits with 230 gr RN ammo and having them get up and run off. I like them in the historical sense, but now have no interest in carrying one or even shooting one much, perhaps more how most people look at Colt SAAs, but to me a Colt SAA is a more useful, practical, fun and interesting gun. You know, sort of how ARs relate to Winchester levers.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List