Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Riddance!!

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Slow night, so one from the "long list which I won't enumerate"...

Shiloh Sharps 1874 Military Carbine (as in "saddle ring with bar") in .45-70. It was from Wolfgang's first production run in NY, and I was in reduced circumstances at the time, so I got the lowest-priced model. The thing was really nice, except for a soft hammer spring (which they replaced quickly), and best of all, I had a new "Sharps" made in USA!

Recoil, however, was unpleasant with anything but mild loads due to light weight and a relatively narrow steel buttplate; the sights were rudimentary and too closely coupled for distant work; the plain trigger was nothing to write home about, and I grew to hate the ring/bar. I persisted for a while, babying the thing and leaving it in the safe a lot just to keep gato's precious tchotchke in pristine condition.

In the end, I sold it for nearly what I paid originally, and in doing so was happy as a lark with a pint of stout in him. I then bought a heavy-barreled rolling block that let me know when it went off but didn't rattle my teeth.
    Ok, along that note of guns I’m glad to be rid of:

Savage Model 99 .308.
    Beautiful. Classic. But between the steel butt plate and way too much drop, yeeouch!

Walter PPK/s. It bites in multiple ways. Good riddance.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    In a huge Sharps fan. One could be a part of a basic Luddite working group of Sharps, Winchester 1866 or 1873 carbine and Colt SAA to cover most of lifes needs.
    I sort of fell out of love with the Sharps after the that .45-70 carbine, though I remain fascinated with them. I eventually found that rolling blocks had their own issues, and came around to wanting to get one good High Wall or Remington-Hepburn but never could settle on what I wanted and the itch left me.

My own Ned Ludd tendencies would probably dial me back to a .40-65 High Wall, a Marlin 1894 and a S&W DA Frontier (both in .44-40), topped off by any decent quality 12 gauge SxS shotgun that came close to fitting me. More of an 1890's "townie" than wild-and-wooly Westerner.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I sort of fell out of love with the Sharps after the that .45-70 carbine, though I remain fascinated with them. I eventually found that rolling blocks had their own issues, and came around to wanting to get one good High Wall or Remington-Hepburn but never could settle on what I wanted and the itch left me.

My own Ned Ludd tendencies would probably dial me back to a .40-65 High Wall, a Marlin 1894 and a S&W DA Frontier (both in .44-40), topped off by any decent quality 12 gauge SxS shotgun that came close to fitting me. More of an 1890's "townie" than wild-and-wooly Westerner.

Ive had a newfound interest in the Browning B-78 rfiles, Id like one in 6mm Rem or 25-06 for general fun longer range shooting and possibly some hunting, and lower recoil. Most of the B-78s seem to have really nice wood, some are outstanding. They made them in heavy round barrel and octagon. id be happy either way.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Ok, along that note of guns I’m glad to be rid of:

Savage Model 99 .308.
    Beautiful. Classic. But between the steel butt plate and way too much drop, yeeouch!
    I dont know when or which models, but later 99s had better stock designs than most earlier ones. Im thinking 250-3000 might be the sweet spot for a 99 also.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

A few come to mind.

1) Kel-Tec CP33. Great idea, but loading the magazine took all of the fun from shooting the pistol.

2) USFA ZiP .22. OMG, what a piece of junk.

3) Bond Arms derringer. Worst trigger pull ever. Had to be sixteen pounds and was more down than back.

The one that comes to mind most is an XD45 compact. Now, to be clear, I really like the gun and never had an issue with it. The problem was the circumstances of the acquisition. I had made a deal with a shop owner. The day I was supposed to pick it up he was late, but one of his employees assured me that he was up to speed and can do the deal. Turned out, that was a lie. The shop owner and I are friends and we quickly got past this misunderstanding, but it just never felt right until I got rid of it.

An honorable mention is the Cougar in 45. I had a Cougar L in 9 mm, and I absolutely loved it. In fact, it is mentioned in the regrets thread. However, the 45 was just so bulky and clunky and thick, yet still only held eight rounds. it was awkward with its short slide and long grip. Admittedly, never had an issue with it. It was very reliable just like the 9 mm.

Vending Machine Operator
    Believe it or not, Sig P226 and two different P229s, both in .40 with .357 barrels. Two certified pre-owned, one normal used.

Despite their stellar reputation, my examples all experienced multiple failures with good ammo.

I have come to believe it was likely me insufficiently greasing them, but I've never had a stoppage with almost any of my guns (I'm snobby about ammo and clean my guns a lot), so going from like 9 problem-free Berettas, 5 problem-free Glocks, and 5 problem-free Smiths to three Sigs that all choked at some point soured me on the P-series.

I believe they are very reliable guns and I was likely burned by bad used-gun luck or bad lubrication practices. But I'd still have a hard time going down that road again.

Edit: I never checked manufacture date but it's also possible I just got Cohened and all 3 of mine were from a bad QC period at Sig.

In contrast, both SP2022s I've owned (one sold, one I have currently) have been utterly reliable, as has my P365 thus far.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

CZ Scorpion trade towards WC AR15 when it became pretty obvious that the braces were going away

Colt 6721 Hbar 1/9 twist traded towards DD M4A1

Glock 19X traded towards gen5 17 with a red dot

Have been thinking of letting a few others go just dont have anything to put them towards. Theres a few things I want but the guns Im thinking af letting go are pedestrian and would put much of a dent towards a new purchase

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    The most recent ones are:
    1. SA Prodigy
    2. SA 35
    3. LCP Max
    That happens to coincide with my "don't buy these" list.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Steyr M9A1. Did absolutely nothing better than a Glock, sights are terrible, and miniscule aftermarket.

Beretta 90-two. Hated the grip module and parts incompatibility. It did shoot good in fairness.

Springfield XD. For obvious reasons. Did love that it turned into a Beretta 92G via a trade.

User Tag List