Thread: Charter Arms Questions

Charter Arms Questions

I'm making some grips for Charter Arms revolvers.

A few individuals have eluded to the fact that a pair of Charter Arms grips made today would fit the first models coming from the factory. That they've been unchanged.

My questions are as follows-

How consistent are these patterns?
    Will a grip made today fit the Charter Arms from early on?
    If there have been changes, what changes have been that we need to take into consideration with a pair of grips?

That's all I can really think of right now, but if anyone has any other observations that might help me out, I'd greatly appreciate the insight.

Thanks!

Not so much a change that you need to consider as an issue but rather a design indicator.

The first Bulldog revolvers had a cylinder stop on the frame like a S&W does. This stop could, and often would, catch the rim of a case and bugger ejection. The current guns lack that stud as Charter just revised the problem away entirely.

The Bulldog is putting very wide rims in a small frame with no room to spare. So the left grip panel needs to have a very thin top/front edge as far back as possible. Even the current factory stocks catch the innermost case rim and prevent it from falling free. Given that the smaller caliber Charters use the same stocks, if the 44 Special will clear, any of them will.

As for the gripframe itself, people mix and match grips on new and old guns all the time and I've seen Barami Hip-Grips fit equally well on any of them.

Site Supporter
    I do not own a Charter Arms revolver and unfortunately can add nothing to the original question. However, SCCY Marshal's post prompted me to point out that if you are making grips for any revolver, please take clearance for speed loaders into account.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by rhamre View Post
    I'm making some grips for Charter Arms revolvers.

A few individuals have eluded to the fact that a pair of Charter Arms grips made today would fit the first models coming from the factory. That they've been unchanged.

My questions are as follows-

How consistent are these patterns?
    Will a grip made today fit the Charter Arms from early on?
    I have a steel Charter grip frame, from an Undercover parts kit I picked up somewhere. I suspect it's old. (The bobbed hammer I got the kit for didn't quite fit a modern gun. Neither does the grip frame.) Modern Combat Full Rubber grips fit this grip frame.

Older Charter grips seem to be readily available. Get a set and see?

If there have been changes, what changes have been that we need to take into consideration with a pair of grips?

That's all I can really think of right now, but if anyone has any other observations that might help me out, I'd greatly appreciate the insight.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Not so much a change that you need to consider as an issue but rather a design indicator.

The first Bulldog revolvers had a cylinder stop on the frame like a S&W does. This stop could, and often would, catch the rim of a case and bugger ejection. The current guns lack that stud as Charter just revised the problem away entirely.

The Bulldog is putting very wide rims in a small frame with no room to spare. So the left grip panel needs to have a very thin top/front edge as far back as possible. Even the current factory stocks catch the innermost case rim and prevent it from falling free. Given that the smaller caliber Charters use the same stocks, if the 44 Special will clear, any of them will.

As for the gripframe itself, people mix and match grips on new and old guns all the time and I've seen Barami Hip-Grips fit equally well on any of them.
    Good feedback, and I'll take the ejection into consideration. We're doing a very different grip from what we've produced previously to accommodate all the varying calibers and the grip size. Hopefully be an exciting one.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I do not own a Charter Arms revolver and unfortunately can add nothing to the original question. However, SCCY Marshal's post prompted me to point out that if you are making grips for any revolver, please take clearance for speed loaders into account.
    100%, when and where possible, we take speedloaders into account. We ran into an issue with the LCR, quite unfortunate how the design of the revolver inhibits a lot of speedloaders, but it is what it is.

User Tag List