Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Regrets, I Haz Them

Way back in the very early 80s when I was just about to become an underpaid cop, an NYSP 520 brand new in the box. I don’t recall the exact amount but in sure it was somewhere around $300- I couldn’t afford it and I passed.

I’ve owed two S&W Model 57s, two Model 58s. All gone.

And one one registered Magnum 6.5”.

I’m pathetic.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I wheeled and dealed a bit in the past, chasing the newest older hotness at the time.

3 original Winchester 1886s at various times, one a heavy barrel 40-60-something rebored to 45-70, so fresh bore, restocked in high grade wood, well refinished.
    A 45-90 cut back to half magazine and half octagon and refinished, definitely a shooter grade one could use and not worry about hurting it, and a full magazine 33 round barrel with shotgun butt.

The 4 Colt SAAs Ive had, the favorite being a 4 3/4" nickel 44 spl, also had a 7 1/2" nickel 44 spl, and 2 different 12" 45 buntlines. Quite fun to shoot.

Colt National Match made in I think 1968. The box said Gold Cup, the gun was only marked National Match and had an NM serial. I had a target sighted 22 conversion unit for it also. That shot pretty well, I did I believe a 6" group @ 100 yards off the hood of the truck. May have been a bit less, I might have the target around somewhere.

Had a couple Smith 25-2s I wish Id kept. And the 6 1/2" nickel 29, it was my first actual regular carry gun before I got the 4" 29.

And the 2 1/2" Smith 19 with the super slick action....

4 screw 4" 19. Sigh...

Navy Arms 22 cal copy of 1866 carbine, same in an 1873 carbine though I never actually shot it, I sold it to a friend, it was part of a package deal Navy Arms was trying to clear inventory in the mid-late 70s and sold a package of 6 or 8 guns.

Regret not buying a custom built Gemmer sporter (Hawken style) trapdoor built on an original Allin conversion 66 action in 50-70 cal.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Stephanie:

Two come to mind. The first was a transferable M60 that I could have gotten for $5,000 in the early 90s. I don't even want to think about registered K&K sears....

The second, was a consecutively serialized pair of Colt Diamondback revolvers in 22 LR with 2.5 inch barrels. $260 each. Groan...

Upside: My son doesn't seem to be so afflicted. He bought a 44 Special Triple Lock last year (needs a new ejector rod) for $460.00.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Nothing. I buy everything that I’m remotely interested in.
    I hear that.

Then I have to sell something to fit it into the safe. Which never really caused any problems.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
    About 4 years ago I came across a Smith model 14 Dayton at an estate sale for less than 200 bucks . Didn’t know what it was so I passed on it .
    I researched it and went back the next day . Yep it was gone .
    Thread Winner/Loser!!!

Let's see... a Snub Model 15 for $550, which was about $100 more than I wanted to spend. Idiot!
    A standard Model 19 for $400 a few years before that.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    A finish-worn but mechanically perfect 4” blue Python for $400, about 20 years ago.

Idiot.

I picked the 12-2 I’m going to pick up next week over several other desirable Kframes in the case. Sometimes, you have to not buy everything, like when I can’t afford anything at all.

Site Supporter
    Wanted and couldn't afford a S&W Model 28 back when I was a broke college student working part time for minimum wage.

Wanted a 76/45 during the same period and the tax stamp looked insurmountable. Let alone the gun too.

On the plus side, mid pandemic, I'm at the LGS looking to fill my allotment of Blue Label Glock, they didn't have what I wanted, and I ended up with a 2 inch Model 12. For, like, Glock money.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

How's about selling a Smith 52-2, a Smith 325PD, and a BHP Practical.

So stuuuuupid sometimes, lusting after something else.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List