Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Regrets, I Haz Them

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    What'd you guys leave in the display case that you wish you hadn't?
    Not a gun, but a guitar: a Gibson SG formerly owned and played by one of my heroes, the late Gary Moore. His son was selling it on Reverb for a price I could afford, but didn't think I could justify. I have since sold my old house (pocketing a ton of equity) and would never have missed the price of that guitar -- which, if I owned, would rarely leave my hands. I think of it often, as a reminder to seize opportunity.

I was very tempted to cash out a big chunk of my longterm saving to grab one of John McVie's Alembics a few years back.

Another gun I passed on was a CZ-97, because it was a decock instead of traditional safety. This was back in 2020, right before they were discontinued.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

When I was 26, my buddy Rick comes to town with his 4" round butt 686. At the time, he was an apprentice to a gunsmith and had himself done a very nice hammer bob & fekkin fantastic DAO trigger job resulting my having an absolutely stellar day at the range. Had to have one just like it.

Gun show that weekend, another buddy has an FFL and I'm at his booth at opening Saturday. Dan has always hooked me up and says me he'll dealer trade into a new 686 for me by the end of the day. Tells me I really ought to just buy the 4" Python he's got on consignment, crazy bastard selling only has it marked at $275. Not a typo: $275. For a 4" blued Python, Magnaported FFS, but missing the orange insert in the front sight.

Nah, not for me, I don't wanna buy a project gun I've gotta baby and worry about the timing. No sir, they're pretty, but I'm coveting Rick's 686 and I'm on a mission. Probably gonna get heavy into competing with it. Yep, I had a plan.

I get home and realize what I've done. No cell phones back then, drove straight back to the show and half ran to Dan's table and the empty spot where the Python had been. Dan said it was gone 20min after I passed on it. Bastard laughed at me, too, and sure, I deserved it, but it still stung.

Fired maybe 300rds through my new 686, never had Rick do any work on it, traded it on the Glock 20 I still own and love. And for 30 years I've regretted being so vapor locked that I passed on that Python.

3.5” Model 27, $600. Bout 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    A pair of matching Lew Horton N Frames snubbies in .41 & .44 mag. I thought he was a tad high, not much, but they weren't a screaming deal either at $800 each. They were NIB, with the factory goodies and boxes on a gun show table.

And....I had the money to make the purchase. <sigh>
    Oh, that happened to me! I bought the .44 but not the .41 because “you’re not going to carry it.” And of course I’m that weirdo with cases of .41 magnum reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    A Nightguard 315 5 or 6 years ago that was @$700.
    Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    $400-ish Ruger flat top Blackhawks in .41 magnum.

Then there was the good deal on an M1 Garand I passed on in favor of a Blackhawk that is still in production.
    Are you sure it was a flattop and not just a 3-screw?

The original flattop (pre-64) was never made in .41 magnum, and I’m pretty sure the recent ones haven’t, either.

Seems a lot of good things got hosed in ‘64.

IIRC, that was the last year silver coins were actually struck from silver.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Are you sure it was a flattop and not just a 3-screw?

The original flattop (pre-64) was never made in .41 magnum, and I’m pretty sure the recent ones haven’t, either.

Seems a lot of good things got hosed in ‘64.

IIRC, that was the last year silver coins were actually struck from silver.
    It was a more recent production flat top, NIB and the listing wasn't a stock photo. So unless they got the pictures mixed up or for some reason the top strap only looked flat in the pictures, it was a New Blackhawk flat top in .41 mag.

ETA: Oh, good. I'm not crazy or senile. Yet. Although I think I might regret not getting it just a bit more now.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...r_030411/99772

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101734886
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 01-16-2024 at 04:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    It was a more recent production flat top, NIB and the listing wasn't a stock photo. So unless they got the pictures mixed up or for some reason the top strap only looked flat in the pictures, it was a New Blackhawk flat top in .41 mag.

ETA: Oh, good. I'm not crazy or senile. Yet. Although I think I might regret not getting it just a bit more now.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...r_030411/99772

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101734886
    Wow, didn’t know they produced any .41s in the NM flattop.

The .41 Freaks must’ve snapped them up😉

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Wow, didn’t know they produced any .41s in the NM flattop.

The .41 Freaks must’ve snapped them up😉
    I'm not super intrested in the .41 mag maninly because most of the guns are built on .44 mag frames, so I figure I might as well just have a .44 mag. But a .41 mag flat top Blackhawk seems like a nice match.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List