Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Regrets, I Haz Them

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Nothing. I buy everything that I’m remotely interested in.
    I did when I was single. Not so much anymore. But if I ever find another Nightguard 315 for $700, I won’t hesitate. 🤣
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

My ragrets are more related to stuff that I actualy had, but sold to get something else, that I probably sold.
    Like (almost) every car gun and motorcycle I ever owned, but probably the 29s, if I need to be specific...

About 4 years ago I came across a Smith model 14 Dayton at an estate sale for less than 200 bucks . Didn’t know what it was so I passed on it .
    I researched it and went back the next day . Yep it was gone .

Decades ago S&W came out with the model 66 with a 6" barrel. A friend of mine and I were in Kinston, NC at a police supply store named Demains (?).....long, long time ago. I asked the salesman if he had any 6" 66's in stock. He said, "Hold on" and disappeared into the back room. Oh my, slow down my beating heart and palms, you can stop sweating too. The salesman returned......with a box. He opened the box, and there she was. S&W model 66 with a 6" barrel. After the paramedics revived me.......just kidding.

The salesman took the 66 out of the box, swung the cylinder to ensure it was empty. Handed it to me. Oh my goodness. I pondered over that revolver, ultimately not buying it. Was cutting my funds way too close. This one got away, but later I did snag one. Ah, the memories!

I passed on a nice 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt because it was .45 Colt. I also vaugely remember $400-ish Ruger flat top Blackhawks in .41 magnum.

Then there was the good deal on an M1 Garand I passed on in favor of a Blackhawk that is still in production.

I probably should have bought a Nagant revolver back when they were $90 but the one I did get to shoot was awful so I'm not super sad about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    An early S&W 640 that passed my inspection with flying colors... but I figured it would be there next week. Wrong.

I have had a number of things that I let go and later wished I hadn't, but it is really a small percentage of all the firearms that I have owned since 1970.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

An HK PSG-1 complete kit that I passed up in 1997. I won’t mention the price because it would probably be unbelievable and even more people would think I am an idiot, but suffice it to say that I should have bought it.

Late 1980's into early 90's there was this really beautiful Colt Lawman Mark V, nib, wonderful finish and polish so probably made before the strike, the sort of wooden checkered boot grips Colt made for those. I looked at it every time I went in and said that would be my real fighting gun in terms of a Colt 357. I admired the thing for probably 5-6 years, it was not selling and I think they would have let me have it for very little because of that, but it was the era of my transition away from revolvers and I had limited resources at the time.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

I could better contribute to this thread if it were reversed . . . . Regrets for those I SHOULD have left in the gun case!

Sig 551... Buddy who owned a shop in Annapolis MD in the early 2000's offered me one of his at a fabulous price... I was in full tac-tard phase at that point and bought a remington 700 PSS with a scope instead... yeah... (this latter became my white whale and caused me to spend way more on a PE90 and a Sig 553 SBR...)

Same shop, same owner, a FAMAS.... Before they went stupid. F me, I don't even know what I bought that time instead but I'm sure it weren't no FAMAS...

Same shop, time three.... Original MACLOMAR semi auto PKM, full kit, tripod, transit case, spare barrel, assault drum, extra belts, tools.... everything. For like 3k...
    I was a idiot, couldn't figure a reason I should buy a semi auto belt fed. bought something else instead....

Same shop, time four... Owner was cornering the market on transferable MAC's... buying every one that came up for sale.... Offered me one for 700 bucks, plus stamp fees. Didn't buy it, thought MAC's were dumb, didn't foresee all the accessories that would be developed in the future.... LAGE kits and all.

All the revolvers that were lingering on the bottom shelf of every gun shop I went in during that time as well for a pittance. Would have been way better off with them than all the sameish AR's that I did buy instead because I believed the gun banning hype...

All in all though not too many regrets.

Biggest selling regrets were a IMI Galil ARM and a Valmet M76, definitely should have kept those...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

User Tag List