Thread: .357 mag 125 gr Golden Saber - are reports of crimp jumping valid?

.357 mag 125 gr Golden Saber - are reports of crimp jumping valid?

I was able to snag a few 50 round LE boxes of .357 mag 125g Golden Saber toward the end of summer. A few of the good folks here have reported good experiences with this round being reasonably accurate and relatively light recoil for .357 mag. I shot a box through my 3” m65 and had much the same experience with no issues.

I was messing around on YouTube and ran across a couple of videos by an amateur ammo tester who claims that this round is prone to the bullet jumping the crimp due to bullet being sized to .350 and only having a small band toward the bottom of the bullet sized at .357

Now being retired, I am spending the winter in my RV in the warm Southwest so I don’t have access to the proper tools to see if this might be true.

I always take the opinions of YouTube influencers with a grain of salt. Have any of you heard of this or have any experience good or bad with this ammo.

hundreds of rounds fired, never a problem for me, mostly through my 4" and 2.5" M19's

I got all mine a few years before the pandemic, there was a window of time when the price was the lowest .357 factory stuff you could get, by like 50% lower than other factory fodder, bought a couple of cases. But if the random youtuber is right I might just get kilt in the streetz, cause I like the lower recoil a lot and it groups well.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

They are still making that load? I thought it was discontinued.

I might have an old partial box of it around somewhere. Never had problems with it but never shot a lot and it was shot in 4" Security Six.

I've shot a few boxes of the Remington .357 mag 125gr Golden Sabers thru my lightweight little 12oz. S&W 340SC snubnosed revolver without any bullet jump that I could measure. It's loud and has a bright flash out of the short 1.875 inch barrel.

The 125gr Golden Sabers is a milder load than most other .357 magnums and the recoil is almost tolerable if you like shock waves and such.
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    They are still making that load? I thought it was discontinued.

I might have an old partial box of it around somewhere. Never had problems with it but never shot a lot and it was shot in 4" Security Six.
    They are still making it. I bought new 50 round LE boxes a few months ago.

Shows it in stock on the Remington website in the 20 round box.
    https://www.remington.com/handgun/go.../29-27600.html

Probably can find 50 round boxes if a person looked around

So I tested this a bit today. Took my 2.5" M19 to the range.

Loaded 6 rounds of this ammo, fired five, and pocketed the round that went for the ride, did it again, measured them.

the original length for all the rounds showed that the two rounds that went for the 5 round "ride" indeed did creep forward, one was 0.08 longer and one was 0.04 longer.

This does not cause me a lot of concern, neither had an exposed canula or anything close to that.

Name:  golden sabre creep on 357.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  41.9 KB
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

User Tag List