• I am right handed

85 72.03%
  • I am left handed

13 11.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: THUMB SAFETY POLL

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Ive got a mold for existing kydex holsters to modify for the shield safety. It keeps the safety in the on position. Im sure there will be one for the 365. All you need is a heat gun and some tape to hold the mold in place.
    I was asking about the holster design that activated the thumb safety - I'm aware of some designed to prevent the safety from being knocked off.

Quote Originally Posted by Basher View Post
    For what it's worth, if this is "research" for a P365, I think if the support-side was about the same size as factory or maybe just a tiny hair wider for easier grasp, that would be ideal.
    I voted right handed and strong-side only, but I want to explain that that is based on my safety-equipped pistols being 2 1911's and 1 MKIII BHP. The size and shape of the extended, single-sided safeties on the 1911's are far more ergonomic than those on the BHP. But if the Browning had ambi paddles, with both shaped like the one that comes on the SA-35, I think that might could be the best of both worlds.

Worth considering is that the above examples have removable grip panels, which affect the interface of all this stuff.
    For a polymer pistol, I think ambi works, but not something that sticks out like bat wings. I'm envisioning some sort of mash up between the factory Sig 365 levers and the S&W M&P and/or H&K levers. In any event, movement needs to be not mushy, but firmly and positively "click" into both on-safe and off-safe conditions.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I was asking about the holster design that activated the thumb safety - I'm aware of some designed to prevent the safety from being knocked off.
    I edited my post to address that.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

As I recall, a JM custom kydex for the 2.0 with safeties actually activated/on the safety upon insertion to the holster.
    Might still have a lefty version here.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Having a holster that is designed, in part, to keep the safety from inadvertently being knocked off makes sense, can you talk to me about holsters that are designed to put the safety back on?
    I asked JM if they could do this for my 1911, and after sending photos of the thumb safety, they were able to take care of this for me.

The intended use is NOT to ignore putting the thumb safety back on before holstering, but to provide a mechanical backup incase I forgot. Think of it as being akin to a SCD, but holster-based.

Site Supporter
    I've got JMCK holsters for my M&Ps, M&P45s, and 1911s that will force the safety back on when reholstering. That said, it's my understanding that he no longer does this, probably because it's a PITA and takes extra time.

@Tony Mayer
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Thankfully I am ambidextrous, right-hand dominant.

I can shoot ambi, but I am a bit slower shooting lefty. Actually, shooting lefty, everything is a bit slower but I'll still give average-righty's a run for their money. I prefer ambi controls where/when available.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've got JMCK holsters for my M&Ps, M&P45s, and 1911s that will force the safety back on when reholstering. That said, it's my understanding that he no longer does this, probably because it's a PITA and takes extra time.

@Tony Mayer
    Thats the holster maker I was referencing who said it is a liability.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

As promised, here’s my 1911 a buddy built for me some years ago. To me, this is the ideal safety size and profile. If memory serves, this is an Ed Brown extended safety that used to be twice as wide (or more) than it is. I had him shave it way down so that it’s unobtrusive, but still wide enough to ride and easily manipulate. This particular 1911 is strong side only, but a weak side that’s maybe 1/16” or so thinner and maybe 3/4 as long would probably be perfect to me. I also like thumb safeties to have a slight bend in them about halfway down their length like shown, as that’s exactly where the joint of my thumb rests.

Something like this in maybe 3/4 scale would be perfect for the P365 if I had a say in things lol.

Name:  IMG_7391.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  28.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7392.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  23.8 KB

Site Supporter
    On a 1911, I like thin on the left side, but a thin lever on the right side becomes more difficult to manipulate. I have found it easier to take the safety off with my thumb and put it back on with my index finger when shooting left handed.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List