Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Current 4x32 scope?

Best Current 4x32 scope?

I'm not sure if I should ask this here, or under red dots, but here it is:

I have a Savage 340 bolt action in .30-30. It's a short range hunting rifle. I want to upgrade the current Bushnell 4x32 scope from the '70s. The only decent options I find are the Leupold FX-1 rimfire 4x28 or the FX-2 2.5x20. Are there any other options in the $300-$550 range?

These two Leupold scopes are in the $300 range. Are they any good? I think I'd prefer a more expensive scope with better glass, if possible. Otherwise, a low end Leupold will probably be fine.

Not sure of price range, but it should be in your zone, but I think SWFA offers fixed 4x and 6x that are pretty awesome in terms of glass.

Turrets like a WW2 capital ship, so easy to adjust but not my flavor for sporting.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I have a Zeiss 4x32 that I got a few decades ago, that has worked great on a CZ .223 bolt. Not sure if they are available, new or used.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I just bought a Leupold 2-7x33, I think, for $300. That might work for you, unless you're firm on the fixed power.. I haven't used this one yet, but I have Leupolds on some other hunting rifles and have always been pleased. Admittedly, I have approximately zero experience with any other brand, so my experience doesn't have much direct comparative value.

Leupold 2.5x20 is a phenomenal choice for that. Small and mounts very low. Their 1-4x20 variables might also suit your use.

Site Supporter
    In that price and magnification range the Primary arms Micro Prisms in 3x or 5x might be worth a look.

They offer models with a 7.62x39 reticle that should be workable with .30-30
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I'm not sure if I should ask this here, or under red dots, but here it is:

I have a Savage 340 bolt action in .30-30. It's a short range hunting rifle. I want to upgrade the current Bushnell 4x32 scope from the '70s. The only decent options I find are the Leupold FX-1 rimfire 4x28 or the FX-2 2.5x20. Are there any other options in the $300-$550 range?

These two Leupold scopes are in the $300 range. Are they any good? I think I'd prefer a more expensive scope with better glass, if possible. Otherwise, a low end Leupold will probably be fine.
    Most scope makers radically cut back on building fixed-power scopes years ago. A few make a 2.5x, 6x, or 10x, but almost nobody makes a 4x. You can occasionally find good ones used but they won't be much newer than your Bushnell. Leupold glass has always been very good but they've had quality control issues with their adjustments. Their 2.5x seems to be immune to them and should work well on a 30-30. Same goes for the FX-1 4x Rimfire. Parallax on that one is set for 60 yards, which shouldn't be an issue for your uses, but I think they only make that one with the fine duplex reticle, which isn't your best bet.

The Burris Fullfield series might also work. Glass won't be on par with Leupold but they don't have the QC issues.

Another option is to call and ask the guys at https://cameralandny.com/ They're very knowledgeable and they seem able to come up with prices that nobody else can beat IF you call them.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Thank you very much for the input. I may be old school here, but assumption is that a fixed power for a certain price is higher quality than a variable power at the same price point.

My price range is $300-$500, squarely in the range of a lower priced Leupold. At this point in my life, I want to spend more to get better quality, so I was hoping for a higher end Leupold, Zeiss, or similar.

I really appreciate the suggestions mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Thank you very much for the input. I may be old school here, but assumption is that a fixed power for a certain price is higher quality than a variable power at the same price point.

My price range is $300-$500, squarely in the range of a lower priced Leupold. At this point in my life, I want to spend more to get better quality, so I was hoping for a higher end Leupold, Zeiss, or similar.

I really appreciate the suggestions mentioned above.
    The scope market is fundamentally different now. The old names are no longer the only ones to consider. Give the guys at CameraLand a call. They'll take good care of you.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The scope market is fundamentally different now. The old names are no longer the only ones to consider.
    I'd also add that glass quality on lower priced scopes is also waaay better than a few decades ago. I have a hard time seeing a need to buy more than a Vortex Diamondback outside of exceptional use cases that don't apply to 99% of what people are actually doing with scopes.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List