Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Optic height

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    As of this post's timestamp, Badger Ordnance is once again completely sold out of the 1.7 C1 mounts. They sell every single one they make pretty quickly, do another run, and sell out again on a weekly basis. I'm a little confused as to why this situation hasn't presented itself as a clue to the other popular mount makers, especially Reptilia who has a very similar system going on. Surely Badger doesn't have a patent on a simple height measurement.
    FWIW, ADM makes a 1.7" height: https://www.admmfg.com/ad-delta-c-m

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    FWIW, ADM makes a 1.7" height: https://www.admmfg.com/ad-delta-c-m
    Awesome to see another quality option. I don't use QD mounts anymore so I'd still pick the Badger for the same price point and lower weight. I'd like to see Warne offer the X-Skel mount in 1.7 so there would be a less expensive option for guns that just don't warrant a $300 mount. The Aero mount would be another nice budget option for lighter weight scopes. I saw in a search that Rock River Arms scope mounts are 1.68" above the rail, but they are ugly as sin. That might be the option I try for my 15-22 trainer that I have a hard time spending big money on.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    On a VPO, the best mount I've found for my physiology is the ADM medium height mount. I believe it's just shy of 1.7".

I have a Badger Ordnance 1.7 on my Giessele rifle that's great, but just slightly higher than I'd like it to be. I can live with it but it doesn't mount quite as clean as my ADM.

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    As of this post's timestamp, Badger Ordnance is once again completely sold out of the 1.7 C1 mounts. They sell every single one they make pretty quickly, do another run, and sell out again on a weekly basis. I'm a little confused as to why this situation hasn't presented itself as a clue to the other popular mount makers, especially Reptilia who has a very similar system going on. Surely Badger doesn't have a patent on a simple height measurement.
    Well, from what I've seen in class a lot of people are mounting these things and running them from a bench. There's a lot of fiddly setup with a VPO to get it exactly right and most I've run into in a class setting haven't really worked through all the issues. Getting the combination of stock, mount, and eye relief set up correctly so it is useful in multiple positions is key. When people do actually make a good faith effort at that, it's often from a bench and then it's not until they come to class and start shooting from multiple positions that they realize that no other shooting position functions well with that configuration. The mount is too high, too low, or situated in the wrong spot on top of the gun to support the eyebox and eye relief of their optic.

Personally, I try to get the optic set up so I can mount the gun standing and it's as indistinguishable as possible from running a red dot. I have learned that setting it up that way allows me to have speed and precision up close, but also supports the traditional shooting positions and awkward shooting positions.

My guess is that a lot of the market does a lot of their shooting off a bench and hasn't figured that other stuff out yet. I'm guessing...and that's all it is, a WAG...that the manufacturers don't see a sufficiently large market to make them in huge volume.

Of course, with BO their VPO mounts seem to go out of stock pretty regularly regardless, so I dunno.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 01-10-2024 at 08:05 AM.
    3/15/2016

I really like Reptilia stuff and that's gonna be a hard future decision between this and the Badger for similar price points. A lot of the extra expense is the 7075 aluminum, but once you have a mount in that material and see how robust and light weight it is, it becomes a lot easier to pony up an extra $100 for the next mount. Reptilia also recently unveiled offset dot J-arms similar to Badger's system and are starting to flesh this out as an ecosystem. Badger still has more options (like bubble levels), but it's starting to narrow and competition is brewing.

User Tag List