Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When Police Pull Over A Veteran

I drive the limit because my mileage drops quickly at higher speeds and frankly, I'm almost never in a hurry. Speeding on an interstate is pointless. If I want to go "fast", it's on a twisty mountain road where the limit is probably 45 or less and fast is a very relative thing. And on a tangent, I never know what to say when someone thanks me for my service, except maybe "it was my pleasure" because what else would you say about being in the Marines?

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    And on a tangent, I never know what to say when someone thanks me for my service, except maybe "it was my pleasure" because what else would you say about being in the Marines?
    I only get that at Home Depot when they see me scanning my veteran discount off my phone, I just tell them 'your welcome' because if I stopped to tell them how awesome it was to be a Marine it would draw a crowd and flood the recruiting stations.

Regarding citing veterans, never made a difference, in most cases I liked to think that I had made my mind up when I stopped the car.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 12-28-2023 at 11:59 PM.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

My old org didn't make traffic stops to write tickets. Not even in the contract cities we had. We had one guy who rode a motor for years, years, and I honestly don't think he went through a full cite book (25 tickets).

Thanks for your input, everyone.

I've made my decision. I'm getting a regular vanity plate this time, rather than a Veteran vanity plate. That will allow one extra character, making it easier to display what I want people to see.
    Semper Fi, Marines!

AWDCorvette.com - Corvettes and especially the new 2024 all-wheel drive ERay!
    youtube.com/@AWDCorvetteERay

Site Supporter
    Is anyone even doing traffic any more?
    (For context: I'm a fire dispatch/911 operator, we share the room with our PD's dispatch center)
    Even in my well funded, well staffed, mid tier suburb on 3rds, when there isn't anything else going on, it seems like you have to be committing aggravated stupidity to get yourself pulled over.

People are certainly driving like there isn't any enforcement going on. I'm regularly doing 75ish on the interstate and getting my doors blown off by vehicles doing what I guess to be doing 90+.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post

People are certainly driving like there isn't any enforcement going on. I'm regularly doing 75ish on the interstate and getting my doors blown off by vehicles doing what I guess to be doing 90+.
    Really. Red lights are hardly even a suggestion to slow down around here anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Is anyone even doing traffic any more?
    (For context: I'm a fire dispatch/911 operator, we share the room with our PD's dispatch center)
    Even in my well funded, well staffed, mid tier suburb on 3rds, when there isn't anything else going on, it seems like you have to be committing aggravated stupidity to get yourself pulled over.

My observations are pretty similar. Fairfax County had a patrol car and subject car get creamed on a traffic stop by someone who lost control in a turn at a high rate of speed, and in response they did a "50 Means 50" campaign for a week or month after that. They flooded the Fairfax County Parkway with cops and anyone going 51mph was written.

I don't think I've seen a cop on the Fairfax County Parkway doing traffic since then. Similarly, 10 years ago it was pretty dicey to consistently speed 10+ on 95 in Maryland or the highways in NJ. I barely see Troopers from either state doing traffic, now.

Virginia State Police are still pretty prevalent and strict on the highways, but that may be a Virginia specific thing since VSP has always been notorious for writing, and traffic offenses here can be pretty serious compared to other states (anything over 80mph here is actually a misdemeanor, not a ticket). Since they can't really do proactive police work anymore given our new anti-cop primary and secondary traffic offense system, I guess that leaves more time for writing speeders even if they're short staffed.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    In my state we optionally have veterans status listed on our drivers license so in my case they know with or without the plates. I have experienced the same and wondered if any of that factored or if it was just my lucky day.
    Same in WA. Veterans status is one my DL. I wouldn't want that on my license plate.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    And on a tangent, I never know what to say when someone thanks me for my service, except maybe "it was my pleasure" because what else would you say about being in the Marines?
    FWIW, my standard response to “Thank you for your service” has become “Thank you for your support.”
    But, reflecting on a previous post upthread, I may start using “Thank you, it was an honor to serve.”

Quote Originally Posted by uechibear View Post
    Thanks for your input, everyone.

I've made my decision. I'm getting a regular vanity plate this time, rather than a Veteran vanity plate. That will allow one extra character, making it easier to display what I want people to see.
    I always try to go low profile with non-descriptive plates and a non-descriptive white SUV, just like all the other vehicles on the road. But, I guess with all the Corvette stuff in your sig line, that you're not really going low profile.

User Tag List