Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: When Police Pull Over A Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I generally tell people they can drive 5-9 over all day not even get noticed.
    This speed would get you run over in Atlanta. The only speed limit anyone seems to pay attention to is in a school zone, where people drive 3-5 under the posted limit.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Not a cop, not a vet, not fire or EMS. Dont even have the Police Chief Association donation sticker. Nothing on or in my car to indicate anything about me. Not playing "Gray Man" just never been into stickers or having all kinds of crap in the car. I have probably been pulled over north of 5 but less then 10 times since 97. Have been issued 2 tickets both of which were dismissed in court with the officer's suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    This speed would get you run over in Atlanta. The only speed limit anyone seems to pay attention to is in a school zone, where people drive 3-5 under the posted limit.

Doesn't sound like Atlanta has changed much since I was last through a couple of years ago on my way to Florida..

Depending upon the time of day, the freeway is either everyone driving at ''ludicrous speed'' or it's a ''parking lot''.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

I generally didn't write a ticket unless there were outstanding tickets on the driver's record or the violation was egregious.

Active duty and Vets got a break unless they had an attitude problem.

The last two times I was pulled over (passing in the center median, and running a red light) I wasn't ticketed. I have a license plate frame that says "Submarine Veteran Cold War" on it.

For passing in the center median I told the officer exactly why I did it (the car I passed pulled right out in front of me, forcing me to brake, and then did 20-25 in a 35 zone).

For running the red light I truthfully told the officer I sat there for 3 cycles of the light and it never turned green in my direction, so when it was safe, I proceeded through the intersection.

When they took my license and registration and returned to their cruisers, they both came back in about 30 seconds, handed back my documents, and told me to have a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    I’ll keep that in mind if I ever go there. I generally adapt to local conditions. I give advice for Arizona speeds. There’s plenty of people here who want to meet a State Trooper. If I’m going 10 over on the freeway here in the middle lane a Trooper isn’t even going to look at me.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It mattered to me. It took more for me to write a veteran than a non-veteran. I also had a higher bar to write someone with a CDL, because a moving violation punishes a CDL holder more than a non-CDL driver.
    Sigh.

I wish I could say that I objectively assess each and every traffic violation and subsequent traffic stop but the honest truth is I don't.

I try to consider the following:

Severity of the traffic infraction
    The violators willingness to accept responsibility and acknowledge that they did indeed commit said traffic infraction. It's as simple as "Sir, the reason why I stopped you was I registered your speed at 62 in a 35." "Yes Sir". It's really that simple. I know that some people consider this an admission of guilt but it's what I'm looking for. Simple acknowledgement. Unless you have a suspended DL or another criminal traffic issue, you're getting a warning.
    Driving record when accessible.
    CDL Status.
    Mil/LEO status.

The honest truth is that unless the person is a serial traffic offender and has a history of citations a mile long, if they're a veteran they're getting off with a warning. I have immense respect and appreciation for our veterans.

It's not exactly a fair and impartial way to police but it's the way I do it.

I rarely write citations. When I do it's because of the above criteria. Sometimes the only way to educate someone is to hit them in their wallet. My personal opinion is that traffic enforcement has two purposes:

1. You're looking for a way to get access to the person driving the vehicle for purposes of investigation/detention.
    2. You're seeking to educate the public when they commit a violation that is dangerous to themselves or others.

Lastly, just because you have a fast car doesn't mean you have to drive it like an asshole. Go to the track to do that. As a veteran who spent a portion of their adult life following rules, the public roads are a not a place to start disobeying said rules. Veterans should know better. Especially since it's about more than just you.

Years ago I was called an asshole and someone who was policing with my ego for ascribing to the above philosophy. In fact, it was this forum where I was called an "asshole".

To me, my methodology is policing as a damn human, not a robot.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Sigh.

I wish I could say that I objectively assess each and every traffic violation and subsequent traffic stop but the honest truth is I don't.

I try to consider the following:

Severity of the traffic infraction
    The violators willingness to accept responsibility and acknowledge that they did indeed commit said traffic infraction. It's as simple as "Sir, the reason why I stopped you was I registered your speed at 62 in a 35." "Yes Sir". It's really that simple. I know that some people consider this an admission of guilt but it's what I'm looking for. Simple acknowledgement. Unless you have a suspended DL or another criminal traffic issue, you're getting a warning.
    Driving record when accessible.
    CDL Status.
    Mil/LEO status.

The honest truth is that unless the person is a serial traffic offender and has a history of citations a mile long, if they're a veteran they're getting off with a warning. I have immense respect and appreciation for our veterans.

It's not exactly a fair and impartial way to police but it's the way I do it.

I rarely write citations. When I do it's because of the above criteria. Sometimes the only way to educate someone is to hit them in their wallet. My personal opinion is that traffic enforcement has two purposes:

1. You're looking for a way to get access to the person driving the vehicle for purposes of investigation/detention.
    2. You're seeking to educate the public when they commit a violation that is dangerous to themselves or others.

Lastly, just because you have a fast car doesn't mean you have to drive it like an asshole. Go to the track to do that. As a veteran who spent a portion of their adult life following rules, the public roads are a not a place to start disobeying said rules. Veterans should know better. Especially since it's about more than just you.

Years ago I was called an asshole and someone who was policing with my ego for ascribing to the above philosophy. In fact, it was this forum where I was called an "asshole".

To me, my methodology is policing as a damn human, not a robot.
    Well, if you're an asshole, so am I.

Your procedure and practices are very close, if not identical, to the ones that I applied in the field.

Some folks get a break because they deserve it, contribute more to society, or exhibit uncommon honesty and accountability when called on their behavior. It may not be fair, or even ethical, but we operate in the real world where fairness and equity don't necessarily exist.

Each traffic stop is a unique event unto itself. Sometimes justice is served, sometimes not. We're only human after all.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Excep to tag @JRB, not at all sure where to put this. It involves a serviceman, speeding, and the punishment therefor, so I’ll take the liberty of putting it here.

I can’t vouch for what’s reported, although there are news articles about a soldier assigned to Fort Liberty riding an e-bike and being rear ended by a minivan on Wednesday, and killed. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ay/ar-AA1mS15i

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1745890371119329397?s=61&t=wmOExLrvrYmeFOVr8qFeRQ

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Your arrogance is endless.

Gee, I s'pose that we'll never know how I prospered, without your sage wisdom and advice to guide me, across my 20+ years in the profession of law enforcement.

Many, but not all, of us develop a sensitive, finely tuned "B.S. meter" (or at least we should) after a few years in the profession; the assumption underlying the premise of your perspective suggests that you lack that quality.

Not for the first time, you've certainly managed to max my B.S. meter out.
    Actually I wasn't trolling you on that, serious question.

Depending on your reasons for conducting traffic stops, the duration of the stop will vary. In most cases for straight enforcement stops there will be minimal interaction at the driver's window before the officer returns to the unit to run records (if you didn't before the approach) and write the citation.

I agree there are generally indicators present if someone is bullshitting you and those do warrant extra time to satisfy your instincts. And for me the decision to write or not write was usually based on my gut feeling as to what would generate further voluntary compliance with the law on that trip. If you are running 15+ my gut feeling was that you had already accepted that an occasional citation was part of the deal. In those case, glad to oblige.

In terms of them showing respect and not getting cites in circumstances where a less respectful person would get a cite, I tried to always avoid that. If a guy mumbled 'MF'er' under his breath while he was reaching for his wallet, I was more interested in watching what came out with/in his hand and being prepared to move than I was in telling him to watch his mouth.

BTW, I made my first traffic stop in 1976 and my last one probably around 2005, so there's that. We didn't either one get killed along the way so we must have been doing something right.

Reference: Not for the first time, you've certainly managed to max my B.S. meter out.

I got that from your responses in the Israeli War thread. One of the reasons that I pulled out to read status is that I didn't want to continue trading barbs with you and KW when in reality our only difference of opinion on the current events in Israel and Gaza was whether the IDF could inflict fewer civilian casualties if they tried.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Excep to tag @JRB, not at all sure where to put this. It involves a serviceman, speeding, and the punishment therefor, so I’ll take the liberty of putting it here.

I can’t vouch for what’s reported, although there are news articles about a soldier assigned to Fort Liberty riding an e-bike and being rear ended by a minivan on Wednesday, and killed. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ay/ar-AA1mS15i

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1745890371119329397?s=61&t=wmOExLrvrYmeFOVr8qFeRQ
    I've seen stupider punishments for less, sadly.

What's worse is the shiny idiots who made that draconian decision will face absolutely ZERO consequences. They'll quietly stop pulling driving privileges and move on.

All I can do is hope that CPT got fast tracked to something a whole lot better than being an S6 staff officer.

User Tag List