Thread: RFI Car Cleaning Supplies

RFI Car Cleaning Supplies

For years I have used off the shelf cleaning supplies from the local big box auto stores (O’Reilly, AutoZone, etc.) but recently seen some videos of guys using these foam cannons. While visually appealing, it got me thinking about the quality of off the shelf products I have been using.

My current setup:

Meguiar’s Ultimate Wash and Wax
    Black Magic Bleche-White for tire grime
    Armor All Extreme Tire Shine Gel
    Armor All for interior fabrics (Original and Leather cleaners)
    RainX products for all glass
    Microfiber sponge for washing and towel for drying

What products do you folks with classic cars or nicer vehicles use to keep them looking new? Are the foam cannons worth it or not? I bought an Armor All one at O’Reillys this past summer and it was shit. Not like what the kids on YouTube are using. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Please share what you have come to prefer as well as any pertinent details or tricks of the trade.

There's YouTube channels that have a ton of info. Car guys are just as weird as gun guys/gals, though. I like IMJOSHV his channel does a lot of comparisons. I bought a foam cannon, bargain model, from Amazon and should have spent the extra 30-40 dollars to get a good one. If you already have an electric pressure washer, it will probably work ok. Technician's Choice products, the Grape and Glow soap and the Ceramic Detailing Spray are worth buying in the gallon bottles. They will last me for years. I buy the microfiber cloths from Costco and $17 a pack and throw them away after a couple of uses. I use Purple Power by the gallon that I dilute to the appropriate strength for cleaning everything from tires to interiors. DON'T use the tire strength on your interiors, lol. I have bought a number of good brushes from Amazon for tire cleaning and interior details. Use my small shop vac for cleaning the rugs. I did spend the money and buy a number of drying cloths; they're all pretty good and worth the money, even the off-brand amazon ones. I actually take care of them and wash them separately with non-scented detergent, cheap from Costco of course, and hang to dry.

YMMV, I use whatever Meguiars interior spray I pick up at O'Reilly's and some old tire shine products I've had for years. I drive beater cars and just try to keep them clean to prolong their life. Newest car in the family is a 2019 Mazda 3 my son drives. If you've got a nice car, definitely look at the Koch Chemie and other chemicals and test your water for dissolved solids to prevent iron/water stains.

Site Supporter
    I've traveled this rabbit hole way, way too deep. I've settled on these products:

Adam's Polishes for their: rubber & tire cleaner, wheel cleaner, mega foam
    CarPro for: Inside cleaner, Eraser & Clarity for glass
    Obsessed Garage for: tire dressing (and many other detailing hardware)
    Meguiar's All Purpose cleaner
    Zaino's Leather in a Bottle

Buying any detailing products by the gallon saves money in the long run. I use these online sources: detailed image, adam's polishes, obsessed garage (this place, along with Matt's youtube channel is a deep hole & very $$) autogeek and finally, the rag company for all microfiber towels

Since my ride was professionally done with XPel PPF and their ceramic coating, I use XPel ceramic boost for detailing spray along with P&S Beadmaker
    "There are two ways to do most anything- right and again."

Quote Originally Posted by mark7 View Post
    I met these folks at Corvettes at Carlisle last year and picked up a few of their supplies. Let’s just say after trying them, I went back to the table 2 more times. I had been using chemical guys stuff prior, and this was much better. Granted, I’m still an amateur at this.

Site Supporter
    Car wash: Wand Method /Soap, Rinse, Spot Free Rinse

Exterior: Dry and Buff with Yellow Micro Fiber Towels from Costco using Turtle Wax/Wax and Dry
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Glass: Stoner Glass Cleaner ( non aerosol as it last longer)
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stoner-In...MaAtzHEALw_wcB

Interior surfaces: Meguiar’s “Purple Label” Cleans with minimal shine/slickness/leaves surface very OEM like
    https://www.meguiarsdirect.com/megui...iler-16oz.html

Tires / Standard Armor All as I do not like the super wet tire look.

For those who do: Superior Cover All Gloss. At my local stores, they keep this behind the counter because it gets stolen so often.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...scp0/f91?pos=3
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by mark7 View Post
    I've traveled this rabbit hole way, way too deep. I've settled on these products:

CarPro for: Inside cleaner, Eraser & Clarity for glass
    Obsessed Garage for: tire dressing (and many other detailing hardware)
    Meguiar's All Purpose cleaner
    Zaino's Leather in a Bottle

Buying any detailing products by the gallon saves money in the long run. I use these online sources: detailed image, adam's polishes, obsessed garage (this place, along with Matt's youtube channel is a deep hole & very $$) autogeek and finally, the rag company for all microfiber towels

Since my ride was professionally done with XPel PPF and their ceramic coating, I use XPel ceramic boost for detailing spray along with P&S Beadmaker
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

Glass: Stoner Glass Cleaner ( non aerosol as it last longer)
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stoner-In...MaAtzHEALw_wcB

Interior surfaces: Meguiar’s “Purple Label” Cleans with minimal shine/slickness/leaves surface very OEM like
    https://www.meguiarsdirect.com/megui...#91;/<br /> 3

Some good advice here. My choices:

Wash: Koch Chemie GSF, P&S Brake Buster for wheels
    Dry: Milwaukee leaf blower, Obsessed Garage Drying Aid
    Interior: Meguiar’s interior QD
    Glass: Invisible Glass (int and ext formulas)
    Leather: Colourlock

And lots more….

Two YT channels I follow are Pan the Organizer and Obsessed Garage.

This can be a major rabbit hole
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Gas pressure washer and foam canon with 1.1 orafice
    Technician’s Choice ceramic detail spray by the gallon
    2 bucket method
    Meguiars Hyperwash by the gallon (Harbor Freight)

Foam canon is just too easy and keeps our black cars swirl free.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Two YT channels I follow are Pan the Organizer and Obsessed Garage.

This can be a major rabbit hole

Outside foam cannon wash, must be nice With the temps here in the northeast hovering the mid 30's, the inside
    wash is the recipe. With the ceramic coating it's easy.
    Name:  232715.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  66.3 KB

I use an IK Foam 9 sprayer to lather on the MegaFoam
    Name:  234329.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  54.0 KB

De-ionized rinse water really works in keeping spotting to a minimum. I picked this up used a few years ago for $65 delivered
    Name:  234347.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  31.8 KB

For drying a EGO 6500 blower
    Name:  234423.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  59.7 KB

I've been doing my own detailing for years. For anyone wondering what products to start with, I'd put my money on Meguiar's Professional Detailing products, they are the Glock of the detail world- they work every time. There are a few other products that do some jobs a little better, but I believe Meguiar's Pro products are the standard. I always keep some around.
    Name:  235654.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  43.5 KB

For the warmer weather months I have a foam cannon attached to a Karcher pressure washer via a reel
    Name:  220622.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  62.9 KB
    Name:  220629.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  54.4 KB

Yep, I freely admit I spent far too much time on the Obsessed Garage fakebook group!
    "There are two ways to do most anything- right and again."

User Tag List