Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chamber Flags - Do you use them? How?

I don't use a chamber flag for normal range use but I always use them when flying with guns. It makes it clearer to a casual observer as well as TSA even in an X ray that the gun is out of battery and unloaded. I use bright orange heavy plastic ones that came with some gun from the factory.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    At some ranges and events it is a requirement, it's also a good way to demo firearms and mounted optics in a safe manner.

Name:  IMG_0065.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  59.8 KB
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    In addition to the reasons already articulated upthread, I always insert a high-viz chamber flag when I ship a gun. I don't mind providing that additional assurance for whoever unpacks it.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

Good responses guys. I appreciate that. Doesn't sound like I was missing much in terms of how folks use chamber flags. I'm gonna grab a few and see how they fit into what I have going on. And, because I'm kind of a smart-ass (and because it makes me chuckle), I'll grab some of these Remove Before Flight tags to attach to the flags.

ETA: I think @CS Tactical is on to something. Tags notating the purveyor of the firearm attached to a chamber flag seems like a neat way to get some free advertising for years after the sale...
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Keep in mind, Jerry does a lot of 3 gun and multi gun competitions. Chamber flags are mandatory for those events.
    This was my situation. I have always been very diligent about chamber checking pretty much every time I pick up a gun, and considered chamber flags a crutch used by people with poor discipline, and only got some because they were required when I started doing some multi-gun matches. After doing the matches for a few years I have realized what a PITA it is to clear a gun every time you touch it, and it really is handy to be able to simply visualize it is safe and clear without even picking it up when it has a chamber flag, and now I have many of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    I'm gonna grab a few and see how they fit into what I have going on.
    These are the simple ones I use. Cheap enough you can scatter them around, in case you or a friend forget someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    And, because I'm kind of a smart-ass (and because it makes me chuckle), I'll grab some of these Remove Before Flight tags to attach to the flags.
    I have been planning to braid some yellow paracord to mine, make them easier to fish out of your pocket and in matches they often get tossed on the ground by the RO that helped you load and make ready.

I use them when required to.

3-gun matches I used to shoot, we were allowed to pre-load the shotgun (not chambered, in the tube only) and it was common practice to insert the last round 90 deg into the ejection port with the bolt resting on it to show that it was unloaded. So in a sense, the live shotgun shell was our “empty chamber indicator”. When in Rome…

I shot .22 pistol Bullseye one winter at an indoor range. This was like back in 2015 or so. They required a chamber flag, so I used a large zip tie. Eventually I got fancy and added a 6” strip of hot pink flagging.

PCC becomes a USPSA provisional division in 2017, the rulebook requires a chamber flag. OK, so I get one. When in Rome.

NRL22 requires a chamber flag, so when in Rome. The rulebook specifically calls for the kind that you insert into the chamber. My local club doesn’t care too much about what kind, so most of us are using “mag blocks” that you insert in the magwell and extends high enough up that the bolt wouldn’t be able to close. Achieves the same effect IMO, bolt can’t close, ergo a bolt gun can be fired. But I do carry the kind that can be insertedd into the chamber if I ever end up at a match where they do require the other kind of chamber flag. Personally I’d rather not shove anything into my .22’s match chamber, plastic or not. I’m more worried about the edge of the chamber shaving off a curl of plastic and getting that jammed up in the chamber.

I only use them when required at cold ranges. It makes sense for the RSOs who have to check the line before allowing people downrange.

I don't see a point to them otherwise.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Since Paul Howe was referenced in the OP,... he just posted this up: Chambersafe.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

We used these in the patrol rifles

https://www.brownells.com/gear/safet...m16-safe-port/

They’re spring loaded and, when properly installed, fly away when you chamber a round.

User Tag List