Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chamber Flags - Do you use them? How?

Chamber Flags - Do you use them? How?

Note: the question applies to both pistols and long guns.

So, I've never had much use for chamber flags, but I see that Jerry Miculek seem and Paul Howe both seem to be fans so that got me thinking about using them; mainly for firearms in the safe and during any administrative handling on the bench.

Do you use chamber flags? Why or why not? If you do use them, in what capacity/scenarios are they used? Protocols for use? Lastly, are some chamber flags better than others? Recommendations?
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Site Supporter
    At work, we keep chamber flags in the M4s (Benelli and Colt) when they are cased and being stored or transported to the range. Ours are yellow. I think important attributes are that they be high visibility and sturdy enough not to get chewed to pieces and deposit chunks of plastic in the breach of the gun.

Way back when I took a Tactical Carbine Instructor class from Paul Howe, we used 8" lengths of bright yellow poly rope as chamber flags and they were very useful in that classroom setting.

In an "around the house", daily carry or practicing at the range by myself, there is not much use for a chamber flag. I'm treating all the guns as loaded and and handling them in a safe and professional manner.

To summarize,
    In a classroom setting or with unknown other shooters, chamber flags good.
    Day to day carry, at home admin handling, or shooting with known competent shooters, chamber flags are unneeded.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

I keep a few in my range bag. I use them for when the range goes cold and people are down range. It makes it easier for the RO to see the the guns are safe.

When I ran bullseye matches they were required (range rules, and by me). The RO can look down the line and see them all at a glance. It's a failsafe to make sure the chamber is empty. A bent piece of string trimmer line works (heat the bend with a candle or lighter).

I don't use them when shooting by myself. My wife does; she's probably right. It's another layer of safety, and doesn't really cost anything.

If I keep a gun loaded in the safe or whatever, I use these:

https://www.safrgun.com/

They are a reminder to cycle the action, and eject like a normal round.

I use them when a range requires them.

I also have a https://magnetospeed.com/products-riflekuhl that functions as a chamber flag.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I have one of those barrel-blok things, I used it when I was Dry Practicing a lot with my Glock 34. It also acts as a snap cap.
    Name:  IMG_9703.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  58.7 KB
    Otherwise, I've only used one for packing a pistol for an airline flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Note: the question applies to both pistols and long guns.

So, I've never had much use for chamber flags, but I see that Jerry Miculek seem and Paul Howe both seem to be fans so that got me thinking about using them; mainly for firearms in the safe and during any administrative handling on the bench.

Do you use chamber flags? Why or why not? If you do use them, in what capacity/scenarios are they used? Protocols for use? Lastly, are some chamber flags better than others? Recommendations?
    Keep in mind, Jerry does a lot of 3 gun and multi gun competitions. Chamber flags are mandatory for those events.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Ditto what @Flamingo said. Nearby county-owned range doesn't require chamber flags, but prefers them to speed up RSOs walking the line to verify empty chambers when ranges goes cold for shooters to change targets.

Big fan of chamber flags - for safety and for making things easier..

I am guilty of not always using them when I'm shooting alone, but when shooting with someone else, it's kind of an easy way to make sure you aren't going downrange in front of a loaded firearm.

I also kind of dictate to which side we place the muzzles of our firearms so we don't walk in front of them. Important to note that our bays with benches are small enough you can easily walk around the side of the bench away from the muzzles. I've had plenty of firearms - loaded and unloaded - pointed at me over the years but try to avoid looking down muzzles if it can be avoided.

I really like the self-ejecting chamber flags such as the rapid racks or saft rounds. Like another poster I keep them in all firearms that aren't in my possession that have magazines inserted or magazine tube loaded.

I feel they are also a good visual indicator for LEO's who carry rifles in racks - lets be real honest, most officers don't religiously check the chamber of the shotgun or rifle in their unit everyday, so that self-ejecting chamber flag is a good visual indicator. Likewise, if an officer gets amped up and forgets to chamber a round - there is a good possibility that if the self-ejecting flag has a:

attached, that either the officer or another officer on scene will recognize the firearm isn't loaded.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List