Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaston Glock has died

To honor Mr Glock, I took my original Gen 2 G-17, serial number HU5xx, out of the safe and fired it. It went bang every time and hit the target. The brass formed a neat pile at my feet. This pistol has around 100,000 rounds through it. It has had numerous spring changes plus the "upgrade" but it is basically the same pistol I used in IDPA for many years.

RIP Mr Glock. Your pistols will live on.

One could also note that he was pretty good at marketing his pistol to both law enforcement and the general shooting community. Of course, having a good product* that is easy to service helps enormously.

*ignoring some of the well-known issues with G3 fotays & G4 BTF.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I’m going to be a loser and make a statement. Gaston’s contributions revolutionized the handgun market like Kalashnikov and the AK did. However, guys like John Moses Browning or Eugene Stoner made major contributions across various platforms (JMB especially, but rifles, machine guns, etc.) the Glock was adapted to different calibers and different configurations, but was largely the same gun.
    True. Herr Glock's primary genius was in building guns from new materials. His secondary genius was in making the same product more usable over time. The differences between the various Glocks are slight until you compare a Gen1 pistol with a Gen5 pistol. In that evolution, the whole is definitely greater than the sum of the parts.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Iconoclast who became the standard by which others are compared.

I sold off most of my guns after getting my G17.5 and G19.5. Still have my PX4 Compact.

RIP Gaston.

Glock on!

I admire Mr. Glock and his handguns. Ruhe in Frieden Herr Glock.

Has anyone ever seen one of his reputed Glock curtain rods?

I own one of his folding shovels and a gen 4 G20 but I've never seen any of his curtain rods.
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Herr Glock's primary genius was in building guns from new materials.
    Sorry, but I have to disagree. As an HK employee was once quick to point out to me, the VP70 was a polymer framed, striker fired pistol, that HK introduced in 1970. More than a decade before Gaston Glock gave us the Glock 17.

Gaston Glock's genius was much like Apple, and the iPad. Microsoft also introduced the first tablet, the Tablet PC, a decade before the iPad. What Glock, and Apple did so well, was take existing ideas, and put them into a very useable format, that met their customers' wants, and needs, far better than the VP70, and Tablet PC. Then they both executed excellent marketing strategies, to eventually dominate their respective markets.

Now, every modern pistol is compared against the Glock, not the VP70, and every modern tablet is compared against the iPad, not the Tablet PC.

Keep in mind I use the iPad as a benchmark for comparison, despite loathing everything Apple. The same is true when Glock haters judge another modern pistol.
    Last edited by DMF13; 12-27-2023 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That's probably what killed him. Just a guess.

Not a Glock owner.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    That's probably what killed him. Just a guess.

Not a Glock owner.
    Worse ways to go... just saying...

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Worse ways to go... just saying...
    Name:  IMG_8841.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  26.5 KB

User Tag List