Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Gaston Glock has died

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I am betting 90 to 1 she cashes out....PE group or public offering, but she does look good in black.
    You never know. She might be a talented business woman also. But you're probably right.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Stumbled across this site that may be of interest to some:

https://glockhistory.com/

Interesting poking around on that, and learned a few things (I had no idea there was a Gen 1 G19, for one).

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Between product and marketing the answer is … both. Of course “marketing” ranges from the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation matches to the ladies at the Atlanta Gold Club….

Re: Glock Customer service - ok to excellent for agencies but with individuals…. Eh…. Adequate to poor.
    I don't have any experience with working with them remotely but living in GA I've walked up to their CS desk a bunch of times and had Glocks rebuilt on their "inspect and upgrade" service. Cost $0.00. In a couple cases they changed out pretty much all small parts (but the frame, slide and barrel).

And that includes any magazines you bring along. They updated some but some were beat up so they just swapped out new ones.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I don't have any experience with working with them remotely but living in GA I've walked up to their CS desk a bunch of times and had Glocks rebuilt on their "inspect and upgrade" service. Cost $0.00. In a couple cases they changed out pretty much all small parts (but the frame, slide and barrel).

And that includes any magazines you bring along. They updated some but some were beat up so they just swapped out new ones.
    They do that at GSSF matches too. But call CS and you’ll get a different experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I think it was mostly marketing that brought Glock success. Sig and S&W has mostly emulated the $200 pistol for Military and LE. Poly strikers aren't that hard to build. The military contract that Sig landed was less than $200 for each pistol. Glock was drastically under bid. Happens.

I'm not sure how Glock, the corporation, is fairing with LE contracts these days either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    No, it would actually be their product.

I have been using them for about 3 decades now. Between an excellent product and amazing customer service/relations, success was not an accident.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I never said their success was an accident. I said I think it was mostly marketing that brought Glock success.

They had a good product/support at the right price. They marketed their product in a void for a reliable pistol for at a great price. No question about that. The sales history supports that.

I've been using Sigs for awhile now myself. No complaints.
    I don't know if we were lucky with reps, or if it was Glock policy - our academy got parts from Glock at no charge, likewise Ruger but obviously not as many.

The smartest thing Glock did was cater to the LE market, I think civilian sales followed.

I know of numerous agencies that upgraded their Glocks to new generations or calibers and got treated very well on trade-ins. Same deal with agencies going from another brand to Glock.

I know years ago when WPD started issuing pistols they chose HK and started having problems. HK flew in engineers and said it was primers, IIRC, they changed ammo, still problems. The one or two recruit training classes that had been issued the HK's were calling them 'random shooters.' Clearly the officers had lost faith in the HK's so the Chief decided to drop the HK's and go with Glock. It was amazing how quickly Glock got the re-equipping done.

I think Glock was correct in thinking that there is a strong tendency for the average buyer to buy what the local LE are carrying.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    IIRC, when the NYPD outlawed Kel-Tecs as a backup gun, Glock sold the officers G26s for $50 + the trade in through local gun shops.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    IIRC, when the NYPD outlawed Kel-Tecs as a backup gun, Glock sold the officers G26s for $50 + the trade in through local gun shops.
    That's more or less how they lost the military contract (millions of dollars) for the new sidearm that replaced the Beretta 92.

Sig just cut the price to something stupid like $180 per pistol with support. Turns out the Sig wasn't tested and had problems but they aced Glock out of the contract.

Military would probably have been better off with Glocks, lots of other countries use them and like them, but they got beat at their own game. Marketing.

Perhaps most importantly, price is always a factor when it comes to government contract, and Sig undercut Glock’s bid by a wide margin. Sig’s bid came in at just about $169.5 million, a whopping $103 million less than Glock’s. The savings clearly made a difference: The decision notes that this substantially lower bid offered “overall the best value to the government.” In fact, The Army’s final selection report, quoted in the GAO’s decision, called price “a significant discriminator” in the two firms’ proposals.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/th...g-glocks-21433
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-29-2023 at 08:54 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

The guy got to live the dream and change the world in the process. Still love my G23.

Rest In Peace

The first centerfire semi-auto I ever fired was an early generation Glock 17, back in the late 80's.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List