Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaston Glock has died

Gaston Glock has died

Just saw this:

We report with deep sadness that our founder Mr. Gaston Glock passed away peacefully on December 27, 2023 at the age of 94.

Gaston Glock built his iconic brand with visionary foresight and on the principles of
    GLOCK Perfection. He charted the strategic direction of the GLOCK Group
    throughout his life and prepared it for the future. His life’s work will continue in his spirit.

Thank you for respecting our privacy and for your understanding that we will be unable to further comment or answer any inquiries that you may have.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

RIP Sir. Your invention changed the world of handguns.

I'm not a Glock owner, but I certainly respect the work he did and the product he produced. Congratulations on a long and productive life.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Dang. It's not like anyone should be surprised, but it's still the end of an era.

I've got 4 9mms, 1 .380, and have lost count of the others I've owned, and I'm not even a Glock guy. What an interesting life, gun, and business. RIP.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Clearly, Gaston Glock was an insightful and revolutionary thinker. Dare I say that he may have been even more influential than John Moses Browning was.

To have influenced the industry so significantly that for the next 40+ years countless other arms manufacturers would strive to replicate what he achieved with the timeless design of the Glock 17 is no mean feat.

With his passing, I hope that Glock revisits the formula for its success and maybe returns to some of its past, very successful, practices even if it means an increase in price.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Lets hope the company lands in the right hands and it remains the direction he wanted it rather than a show like walmart after Mr Waltons death.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Truly a firearms visionary and did for the pistol what Kalashnikov did for the rifle. As a recent convert I have to say there is a simple elegance to the pistol and it isn’t hard to understand how it achieved its primacy. It also sounds like he did much to promote firearms freedom in Austria.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Yeah - I hope he was able to enjoy his last years as much as she will enjoy hers.

Site Supporter
    A legend gone.

I don’t know how involved he was in the business at this point but I do know his impact on the firearms industry was absolutely amazing. He took us from 1911’s and revolvers that often required work to candidly in many ways the modern polymer handgun where you can buy it and pretty much expect it to work out of the box.

I’m going to be a loser and make a statement. Gaston’s contributions revolutionized the handgun market like Kalashnikov and the AK did. However, guys like John Moses Browning or Eugene Stoner made major contributions across various platforms (JMB especially, but rifles, machine guns, etc.) the Glock was adapted to different calibers and different configurations, but was largely the same gun.

AR-10 (adapted to AR-15 by Jim Sullivan) then Stoner 62 (adapted to Stoner 63 by Jim Sullivan), Stoner 86, some chain gun designs, etc.

Or JMB who eclipses them all IMHO with the a few examples of the Auto-5, BHP, M2, BAR, 1919, 1911, etc.

It kind of puts them in different categories. However, I truly admire Gaston. I just wanted to keep it in perspective.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Never forget the story of the XXL sized assassin that jumped him with a mallet and the elderly G beat said assassin unconscious who collapsed on G pinning him in place for a spell.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List