Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taran "Versatile" base pads

Taran "Versatile" base pads

During a recent holiday sale, I bought some of the Taran Versatile base pads. These are 140mm extensions that work on many (CZ, Canik, Walther, Beretta) different platform magazines. I got them for the Walther PDP, but before I deployed them, I ended up using them on MecGar 18 rounds 226 mags for my wife's new 226 X5.

https://tarantacticalinnovations.com...tile-base-pad/

I did try them, unsuccessfully, on a Macro mag. Taran's description says they work on the Macro, but at least with the two mags I tried, the mag would need to be slightly modified to allow the push pin in the extension to work properly, and I didn't want to do that. These things FS are great for someone that likes to mess around with different platforms.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

I did try them, unsuccessfully, on a Macro mag. Taran's description says they work on the Macro, but at least with the two mags I tried, the mag would need to be slightly modified to allow the push pin in the extension to work properly, and I didn't want to do that. These things FS are great for someone that likes to mess around with different platforms.

Odd, I got them to work on my Macro, and believe @RJ did as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Odd, I got them to work on my Macro, and believe @RJ did as well.
    Interesting. On the two mags I tried, the pin from the Taran extension wouldn't go up, as it was hitting part of the magazine tube. Can you check your mag that worked and see how it is marked, and I will do the same.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Ja I have a couple in use, maybe a year ish now.

In September I had a weird malfunction where a round of Federal 147 HST ‘stuck’ down in the mag. I ended up discovering a lot of compression in the xtra power mag springs I bought. Pic below shows what I found. New spare xtra power springs I fitted seen at left. I was kinda surprised they compressed like that.

Otherwise, no problems, really, maybe 100 through each so far, so not a lot.
    Name:  IMG_0567.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  69.4 KB

The pin is pretty close, but it slid by. I have another in the box of parts, I may try to install it later to be sure it fits as well.

Name:  IMG_3178.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  25.9 KB

Ah, the pins. Yes, same as @Norville, I had to coax each pin past the mag tube, with my little friend...

https://www.harborfreight.com/double...dle-98285.html

Just to clarify, I looked at my logbook. I have had these in use since mid January 2023, so approx 11 months. All the rounds I shot through my X Macro TACOPS Frankengun have included these two at range sessions, and the gun has 612 rounds, so each has maybe 1/4 of that total. I've shot them at least a couple times loaded with 20 rounds, having sat for a few weeks.

Back to pins, now you mention, I did note the pins were "walking" meaning they weren't where I left them, after shooting, my last range session, #7. Logbook snapshot below. I guess maybe I should use loc-tite on them, but haven't so far.
    Name:  Screenshot from 2023-12-27 12-10-36.png
Views: 270
Size:  83.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Ah, the pins. Yes, same as @Norville, I had to coax each pin past the mag tube, with my little friend...
    As an aside, I’ve had to do this a number of times with different metal mags. Either a little hit with a punch on the lip or a quick notch with a Dremel to make the clearance.

Pins on my two, at the moment:

Name:  IMG_3571.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  44.2 KB

Site Supporter
    As much as I like and respect the OP, RJ and some others who have posted in this thread:

I am highly disinclined to put any money into the coffers of TB absent a life or death need for one of his products.

I found his behavior with younger female employees to be consistent with those whom "groom" children as a precursor to abuse.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....roversy/page25
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Doesn't seem very precious to me.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List