Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 18650 Battery Shows Fully Charged, but Does Not Work

18650 Battery Shows Fully Charged, but Does Not Work

This is a pink Samsung that came with a REIN weapon light. The rifle it's on is very low round count and spends most of its time in the safe. The battery shows fully charged on the Nitecore charger. But it does not work in any of the several lights I tried it in. Also, the REIN works fine with other batteries.

Thoughts? If it's dead, what is a better brand to replace it with?

FWIW the stamp on the battery is INR18650-30Q Samsung SDI 141

Thanks in advance!

@NH Shooter

He'll get you squared away.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    This is a pink Samsung that came with a REIN weapon light. The rifle it's on is very low round count and spends most of its time in the safe. The battery shows fully charged on the Nitecore charger. But it does not work in any of the several lights I tried it in. Also, the REIN works fine with other batteries.

Thoughts? If it's dead, what is a better brand to replace it with?

FWIW the stamp on the battery is INR18650-30Q Samsung SDI 141

Thanks in advance!
    Do you have a volt meter? If so, what is the voltage on that battery?
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Do you have a volt meter? If so, what is the voltage on that battery?
    If his Nitecore charger is like mine, it'll read out the volts. (4.20 is max for 18650.)

A separate volt meter would be helpful to confirm, however.

Site Supporter
    I looked up the cell, and it is unprotected. So, that rules out an issue with the protection circuit.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

If it's unprotected the battery may have over discharged which shortens the lifespan.

Not sure if that has anything to do with the charger reading fully charged though.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

I don’t have a separate volt meter. The Notecore says 1.87v.

Interestingly I just moved it to the other side of the charger and it’s charging like normal. And the volts are slowly climbing while the progress bar is at one. I tried this earlier and it was shaking a full charge on the progress bars. It’s now at 2.60. Even if it takes a charge this time (6+ tries in two days), I don’t know I can trust this battery. Is this kind of thing normal? Is there a way to rule out the Nitecore charger?

Interestingly I just moved it to the other side of the charger and it’s charging like normal. And the volts are slowly climbing while the progress bar is at one. I tried this earlier and it was shaking a full charge on the progress bars. It’s now at 2.60. Even if it takes a charge this time (6+ tries in two days), I don’t know I can trust this battery. Is this kind of thing normal? Is there a way to rule out the Nitecore charger?
    I'd get a protected cell if it fits the unit. There are many good ones out there...including Nitecore's rebrand of Sanyo or Panasonic or whoever they use.

I only have a couple of unprotected cells for smaller lights that I couldn't find an alternative for.

I'll let others discuss how to rule out the Nitecore charger having a bad unit on one side of the device. (It would help if you had other batteries to test with as well.)

Not much to go wrong with an unprotected cell, so most likely the charger - especially that it's now charging normally on the other side.

Allowing it to drop to 1.87 volts has most likely shortened the life of the cell.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter

I suggest buying a digital multimeter. Decent ones can be found relatively inexpensively. Although I use a ZTS tester for most cell types, a voltmeter is the best way to monitor the status of Li-Ion cells.

Does the Nitecore charger also charge MiMH cells? Is it possible that the voltage got low enough so that it misidentified the type of cell and compared the voltage to full for that type of cell?

User Tag List