Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 18650 Battery Shows Fully Charged, but Does Not Work

"I suggest buying a digital multimeter. Decent ones can be found relatively inexpensively."

I just ordered one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W8LJPH5

It hasn't gotten here yet. I got it on the gushing recommendation of a friend who is kind of a meter freak, as in he used to work at Fluke and has a collection of high end Fluke meters, and he was all "How can they make a meter this good for $10". I'm just a dweeb who checks voltages, but wanted a cheap meter to leave at the cabin, and $10 is cheap :-).

(as far as hinky lithium ion batteries, I view them like hinky reloads. When in doubt, throw it out.)

Mine does NiMH but I don't like the way it works with them and went back to the Eneloop charger. It's great with lithium batteries though.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

You should remember that unprotected 18650's are basically the equivalent of small, powerful thermite grenades- with a loose pin. (Protected cells are too, but they have a fuse designed to kill them in conditions that would cause an unprotected cell to run away and explode.)

If a battery in this class starts behaving oddly, the safest plan is to take it to a recycler.

Genuine Samsungs are pretty good, if a bit old in terms of technology, and if it came from CD then it's most likely not a counterfeit, but you should be aware that there are tons of cheap Chinese counterfeits out there. Many on Amazon.

You also have to use the correct max amperage cell design to get full illumination from high performance lights like the Rein and various Modlites. The nominal 3500 mAh rating on most of these needs to be considered in view of the cell continuous discharge characteristics, different 18650's have different discharge curves and higher capacity does not equal better performance in all cases when used in a high drain application like a high candela weapon light. You generally need at least 10A continuous rating. For example, the Sony/Murata VTC6 is rated at 3000 mAh, which is less than the top storage capacities for the firm factor (around 3550) but it will sustain 15-20A continuous output (depending on temperature) and will actually last longer in a weapon light like a Rein, OWL, or Modlight PLH series.

Your CD light can be adjusted internally to accept a protected cell and that is what you ought to run if you don't have a lot of experience with this class of power cell. Unprotected cells are downright dangerous if mishandled.

I get my protected cells directly from Orbtronic, Surefire and Modlite, or if I need unprotected, genuine Sony/Murata VTC6's (which outperform the older Samsungs) from known good suppliers - and have had minimal issues with any of them.

But I treat them like a pet snake. With caution.

I agree with Archer1440's post above, but would add that if you're competent enough to safely handle and carry a handgun, you should most certainly be competent enough to handle and carry unprotected cells (or any Li-ion cells for that matter) by following a few basic safety rules. The first bullet point here covers them, the rest of the points delve into the minutia.

That said, IMO WMLs should be powered by primary cells (CR123 batteries). They hold a charge much longer (for weapon storage considerations), can handle cold temperatures better and are (for the most part) safer to handle.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Thanks everyone! I do recall seeing NiMH on the display of the charger at some point. It finally charged and works again. I don’t store the batteries or handle them in any manner that would go against the rules in that link. I also keep the light heads backed off when a weapon is in the safe so it can’t accidentally activate.

Other than the batteries that come with a light I don’t have any other 18350’s or 18650’s. When I pick up some spares are there benefits over the regular models and the ones like Streamlight use that charge with micro USB?

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Thanks everyone! I do recall seeing NiMH on the display of the charger at some point. It finally charged and works again. I don’t store the batteries or handle them in any manner that would go against the rules in that link. I also keep the light heads backed off when a weapon is in the safe so it can’t accidentally activate.

Other than the batteries that come with a light I don’t have any other 18350’s or 18650’s. When I pick up some spares are there benefits over the regular models and the ones like Streamlight use that charge with micro USB?
    The Streamlight and Surefire batteries with the built-in charging have the obvious advantage of being easily recharged when away from your charging device, but they are longer and may or may not fit your specific light. Obviously they work fine in the respective company devices intended for them.

My (older) Cloud lights and handheld 18650 Modlites work fine with the Surefire batteries.

Quick note to mention that primary batteries (CR123) are NOT suitable for lights designed specifically for 18350/18650 cells unless specifically stated as “dual fuel”. Incorrect use of primaries in non Dual Fuel lights can literally start a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Quick note to mention that primary batteries (CR123) are NOT suitable for lights designed specifically for 18350/18650 cells unless specifically stated as “dual fuel”. Incorrect use of primaries in non Dual Fuel lights can literally start a fire.
    Correct, thanks for pointing that out! That's why IMO WMLs that are designed to work only with Li-ion cells are a step in the wrong direction. Modlite Legacy Enhanced heads, as well as some very capable Malkoff E-series heads are true "dual fuel" and will operate with either. For range outings take advantage of rechargeable Li-ion, but store the weapon for immediate use with fresh/unused CR123 batteries in the light.

IMO, cells with built-in charging circuits have way too much to go wrong for use in a WML. I'm even skeptical of using regular protected cells in WMLs as that thin PCB on the negative terminal is rather fragile.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 12-27-2023 at 09:30 AM.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    This is a pink Samsung that came with a REIN weapon light. The rifle it's on is very low round count and spends most of its time in the safe. The battery shows fully charged on the Nitecore charger. But it does not work in any of the several lights I tried it in. Also, the REIN works fine with other batteries.

Thoughts? If it's dead, what is a better brand to replace it with?

FWIW the stamp on the battery is INR18650-30Q Samsung SDI 141

Thanks in advance!
    I’ve had great luck with the batteries modlite sells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I’ve had great luck with the batteries modlite sells.
    Modlite does not make Li-ion cells, theirs are private labelled. Buy them from the same vendor as Modlite at nearly half the price.

Keeppower and Orbtronic are Tier 1 cells - buy with confidence.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 12-27-2023 at 02:47 PM.

Site Supporter
    Add Eagletac and Klarus to the list of good choices. I have also used Modlite and Keeppower with good results.

I prefer protected cells whenever possible because not everyone in my family understands Li-ion safety. I have not yet had a problem with a protection circuit. I agree that a cell with its own charging port is unnecessary and overcomplicated, although I can see it being nice if one is traveling and forgot a charger. Using a good quality smart charger seems to work faster.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List