Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So I was building a cardboard box GI Joe base...

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    ...Tonkas...is quality time.
    Not, anymore. There is now too much plastic to do any work. You have to scrounge up old metal ones at a premium or the early transitional ones with less plastic in not-so-load-bearing areas to get any projects done.

The kids and I used to love hauling them to the beach and build canal networks and such between sand castles, frisbee sessions, and boogie boarding. It was really great when the little ones would wander off and I'd still be working on our infrastructure contract alone for a bit. Without fail, some single mother and her kid would walk by at that point and she would eye the lone adult man playing alone with toys like the antichrist while grabbing the child and moving away at a good clip. Her kid would usually think the Tonka construction site was awesome and want to check it out but buzzkill moms never once allowed it. My wife witnessed this from a distance several times and always got a laugh out of it.

And you left the good old spaldeen out of your list. The Spaulding High Bounce and the Thai knockoffs are still as awesome as ever. And they never fail to get an ear to ear grin from some kid when you bounce them one and say, "keep it." I swear the things are the best cost/quality/portability to fun ratio ever devised by man.

More to do with G.I. Joe, I always preferred the bog standard bagged army men for the cardoard box fort thing. You can afford enough of them to wage a battle in an entire room or two for the cost of a couple larger articulated toys. With enough allowance left over for a glass bottle of soda and giant pickle from the jar on the store counter.

A few years ago, I responded to an unattended death. After forcing the door, I found the homeowner deceased. Apparently, he was a loner type…..never married, no kids, etc. A coworker called it in when the guy failed to show up at work.

I start searching for next of kin and find a massive toy collection in a bedroom. Original GI Joes, fresh in boxes, everywhere. Tons of Star Wars toys, like all of them, still in packaging. Batman stuff, Six Million dollar man, Evel Knievel, you name it.

The guy’s house looked like a toy store from my youth. Always wondered what happened to that stuff.
    Last edited by lwt16; 12-28-2023 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    You should see Scarlett

But its seriously hard to find girl toys that aren't sexualized. My daughter's Anna from frozen is a good example.
    Name:  IMG_20231205_163947.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  28.7 KB
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

User Tag List